Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @98.90 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 902.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Policy on Self Promo?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Policy on Self Promo?  (Read 162 times)
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« on: July 09, 2024 @664.88 »

So, ive been on the forum for a hot minute and ive been wondering about something. Is there a policy against self-promotion? Awhile back I put out a post talking about a server I had opened to the public, and I was wary if that would count as self-promotion and be against the rules.

If its not against the rules, is it something that users would rather not have happen on the forum? Is it looked down upon? (If it is I apologize for the previous Minecraft server post :C)

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
VelvetSoul
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Till the moon may fall, and the sun may die.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

A cat for good luck!Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024 @677.53 »

I think the closest thing in the rules that would be against self promotion is specifically linking to things that otherwise break the rules of the forum in the first place. If whatever you're promoting doesn't necessarily break the other rules I don't think it would violate any of the guidelines.

Obviously I'm not a moderator or anything, I'm fairly new here; but that's just my two cents based off the posted rules on the wiki.

I will say personally, as a streamer myself; the major reason I don't go talking about my streams and such is because I'm still new around here. It's only my own opinion, but I feel like it kind of looks bad on me to show up and start talking about my streams and stuff; more-so if I link to them and constantly self promote or even just make a thread to talk about it.

That being said, this forum talks a lot about creative endeavors; there are places to share what we create and enjoy working on. I believe as long as it's not excessive, if someone looks down on you for sharing what you create; that's on them not on you.

I put a lot of effort and work into my streams, I personally enjoy getting to play up a character, share games I love with others; and typically I do challenge runs or speedruns so it's fun to share my progress with those as well. I'm very open about being a small streamer in communities where I've been an active participant, because it's very clear in those communities that I'm not simply/exclusively here to advertise.

I feel like if someone showed up, solely to self promote; never being an active participant of the forums and generally ignoring anything unrelated to their personal projects. Then sure, I could see them getting a sort of bad rep for it. However, if you're someone who uses the forums regularly, you're an active member of the community here; and then you share with us stuff that you're working on and maybe want to bring some attention to whether it's because you're proud of it, or maybe you'd like others to see what you've been up to. I don't think there's honestly any harm in that.

Be it a website, a game, a stream, videos, writing; etc. If it's something you're creating and you want to share it I personally wouldn't look down on anyone for that. It's when someone is clearly only here for one thing, and that one thing is personal self promotion and nothing else; that I'd look down on them for it.

That's just me though, I'm not sure if this is the general vibe for everyone else here or not. 
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024 @683.87 »

Its not looked down upon at all; I actually really like when people post external projects like your mc server and I would like people to consider this a space where they can share and find cool projects beyond ones hosted by me.

That said I do think a lot of the web has a kind of "notice me" attitude, particularly on sites like Reddit; and I think that's something a lot of visitors here want to avoid ~ so its kinda a balance of guessing if the audience here is really gonna enjoy the project that's being promoted or not.

Its easier for me because a lot of the time when I post projects I just say "screw it, I can post what i like on my forum" (and sometimes people totally ignore things I post  :tongue: ), but I know that its a lot more intimidating to share a project for most other people  :ohdear:

So the answer is; be considerate and ask yourself if you're promo is just about you, or if its a genuine desire to share something with others ~ and then be a bit bold and just put it out there! I really believe if you just keep doing something and being passionate about it, eventually people will start to care  :happy:

The forum will morph slowly, so the more people make a certain kind of post; the more acceptance and engagement that kind of post will get. If everyone on the forum was posting mc servers, we would create a "Post your MC server here" board, and it would seem totally normal ~ however its still unusual to do, so you have to battle a little to make it work and build your own social infrastructure  :cheerR:

I put a lot of effort and work into my streams
I'm actually really interested in streams as a kind of net-performace-art atm; so Id love to see more exploration of this subject  :goL:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Just made my account so I thought I might as well promote my site!

Started by angel-valBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 2
Views: 669
Last post January 07, 2023 @320.87
by angel-val
Art and self-promotion in the web revival

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 12
Views: 1481
Last post May 17, 2023 @915.66
by HayleyMulch
promoting my forum: cool ads!

Started by egbertBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 711
Last post February 16, 2024 @848.89
by egbert

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi