Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @100.89 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 900.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Post Greetings Here!
| | | |-+  Another Newbie Intro :)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Another Newbie Intro :)  (Read 226 times)
Sailor_Fabulous
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor FabulousJoined 2024!
« on: July 11, 2024 @220.71 »

Hello there!

As an introduction I'm just going to share my journey to webcrafting lol

I'm a 28 year old Irish-Australian woman with a great love for Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon fan characters. Yes that is relevant.

I actually grew up with computers, always having one in the house for as long as I can remember, but I never really explored the old web unfortunately, mostly only experiencing kids sites (like the ABC Kids website, and later the classics with Neopets, Club Penguin, and Runescape).

I currently run a small Discord server dedicated to Sailor Moon fan characters, and we have a few older members there that have reminisced of the old days of "otaku senshi" sites and even shared ones that are still around (though inactive) or can be found on the Wayback Machine. One of those members is also a huge lover of fan senshi sites and encourages everyone to make one, and she got me lol

I started out on a Wix template she had set up for a friend (Edionan Blossoms) and went crazy, and eventually I decided to make another Wix site "from scratch", without one of her templates to get me started (Fortune's Favour). And while I have enjoyed both of those projects (and there's still work to do on them), I found myself coming back to those older sites she'd shared and wishing I'd been a part of that culture.

And then I saw a post on Tumblr about Neocities. I was fascinated, but scared. I looked through the different tips and things but felt a bit overwhelmed and decided to stick to Wix for the moment. But after coming across a live fan senshi site that's been going since 2001 (Sailor Tiger's Grotto), I felt the motivation again, so I hunted down that post and got started. I used Sadgrl's layout maker to set up a site (Curious-Insanity), and have slowly been working on it. I've had fun clicking through different sites and finding things to put on my page. I discovered fanlistings and joined a whole bunch and now dream of making one myself. I've joined a Clique (Sailor Moon related of course), added widgets, and most recently, started making blinkies.

Unfortunately, I still barely know how to code though. I can roughly figure out a template (and have used a lot on Toyhouse and been able to modify them a bit), but mostly rely on googling very specific things. I'm honestly not really sure where to start, but I want to learn how to code properly, instead of just cobbling bits and pieces together. I'll get around to learning eventually I think, but I'm always so easily distracted by other hobbies.

Anyway yeah that's where I'm at on the webmaster stuff, I love seeing everyone's creation and would love to maybe join a webring some day. I'm thinking of trying out the leaky ring code because bilging that water has actually genuinely been a bit of fun, and I love those small delights that seem to be all over the web revival.

Forums are another thing I never really got into before, but recently have been trying for them, having gained a newfound appreciation for them in recent years. I'm not always the best at checking in on them though, because I don't use my laptop all that often anymore (the battery runs out really quickly these days, and also I dropped it once and now it occasionally freaks out on the right side of the screen, making it kinda unusable until it calms down), and so I surf the web on my phone and tablet most of the time, which aren't really the easiest for forum usage. However I hope to at least do plenty of lurking here!

Sorry for the long ramble of nonsense lol

- Fab

VelvetSoul
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Till the moon may fall, and the sun may die.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

A cat for good luck!Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024 @294.92 »

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to see we have someone else around here who enjoys bilging the water lol.

I didn't know there was such a big community for Sailor Moon OCs, that's pretty cool actually! To be fair my only real exposure to Sailor Moon has been watching Crystal since I have been told SM is an absolute classic "but has a lot of unnecessary filler" though after watching Season 1 of Crystal I am left with a lot of questions that may be answered by going back and actually watching the original; so I've been very tempted to actually sit down and check it out properly. Not to say Crystal is bad or anything, I just feel like I might be missing a lot of context given how fast it moves. Regardless, I might have to hit you up to talk about the series sometime if you're up for that, you know; when I've had a chance to actually sit down and watch it so I know what I'm talking about lol.

As an aspiring webmaster myself, I had to go check out your site, it looks really nice! Love what you did with it, especially having the character on the side scroll with the screen; no idea how you did that but it's pretty cool. I'll have to check out that layout builder you mentioned since I feel like having a layout or something might help me jump into actually using neocities since I've also felt very overwhelmed by it all. Hopefully we'll both be able to learn some stuff and make some good websites with what we learn. I also know very little so it'll be nice having someone around here who also doesn't know a lot about coding.

But now I'm rambling, so I'll leave it there and say once more welcome! \(≧▽≦)/
zj
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: zeejay
iMood: zeejay

View Profile WWW

water walterFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024 @670.52 »

Hi, welcome to the forum and neocities! I also based my site off SadGrl's layout builder. I'm also no expert so having a starting point is so helpful  :ok: . Persoonalising it with my also shoddy coding skills has tough at times, but fun :) I wish I had the skill to make widgets, I have no clue how that stuff works, lol. I barely managed to create a shitty 88x31 button for my site XD. What visitor counter do you use on the bottom of your site, btw? Been thinking about adding something similar to mine. I'll have to have a look through your site  :dive: welcome once again!

why dontcha have a peek at my site :eyes:
(23 years old)
this is Kurt ↓
gif of a ""tamaNOTchi". Click to feed!
click to feed him :3
zawieja
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Call me Ren!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Epic Cat AwardFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024 @809.34 »

Hello and welcome!

The sailor moon OC content seems like a fascinating little niche! I vaguely remember people having fan websites where they put their own stories and I'm happy to see it's still alive in some way. ...Now I kinda want to do the same for my own stories :ok:

I've also used the same template, but it veery quickly grew up into something of my own. Templates set a good base to start without getting too lost :dive:

─── °∘❉∘° ───

─── °∘❉∘° ───
Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024 @874.16 »

Yooooo ! Sailor Moon ! Incredible ! Can't wait to see what you're gonna post ! Have fun around us !
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi