Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 25, 2024 - @515.68 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☑︎ ∙ Events and Activities
| | |-+  Draw your first memory of the web!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Draw your first memory of the web!  (Read 577 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« on: August 12, 2024 @963.67 »

Draw your first memory of the web!

Can you remember the first time you were on the web? What was the first site you visited? What parts of it stuck in your mind? What was the machine you used to access it like? What did it feel like? What was the weather like? What was your mood?

Take 10 minutes and put all of that into a drawing!  :wizard:

Rules:
  • You must try to draw your very first memory of the web, as early as you can go.
  • No cheating, you cant look at any reference material.
  • Try to list the year you think your memory is from!
  • You can talk about it if you like!

~This game was inspired by a workshop I attended by Doriane!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024 @989.35 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024 @973.56 »

funny enough, mine happens to be of a site that has hardly changed since i first used it: khanacademy

basically its a pretty basic learning site but like at first i basically just used it to learn code bc my dad but then we had to use it for school :P my original coding account has been lost to time but i still actually use the school account from like the fourth grade ^^

* clipboard.png (45.11 kB, 512x512 - viewed 16 times.)

new to oldnet be nice

xixxii
Full Member ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Web 1.0 Picture Size Expertthe xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024 @984.88 »

my mom's laptop sitting on the kitchen counter in front of the phone, phone unplugged so the semi-translucent orange ethernet cable could be plugged into the jack instead... i know my mom always had macs, but can't remember what this one in particular looked like. my older sister had printed out some sailor moon fanfiction from an angelfire site and then showed me the place she got it from! i remember a tiled sparkly pink background and text in a black times new roman font. i was so amazed by how my sister knew about all this stuff you could find with the computer.
we were on dial-up then, when it made the noise and pages loaded in chunky stripes top to bottom. i think it was somewhere around 2001 or 2002; i know it was before 2003, because by the time harry potter and the order of the phoenix was released i was semi-regularly visiting mugglenet (with supervision)!

i'm not sure this is a real memory, to be honest, hahaha. might just be a vague amalgamation. my memory isn't very good.

this was really fun! my 10 minute timer wore off before i could draw a sailor moon, but that's alright.

* firstweb.png (161.96 kB, 800x567 - viewed 32 times.)

zawieja
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Call me Ren!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Epic Cat AwardFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024 @893.46 »

Cool topic idea! I don't remember much of the web itself, as I must have been very young - probably around 2003-2004 my dad showed me some kind of simple web browser game? I just remember that it was some sort of labyrinth and that you could move around by using vortexes of some sort.

The room had quite an atmosphere, though; we kept an aquarium next to the PC, in a dimly lit corner - the room was darker than the rest of the house, too, so it looks very specific in my memory.

Now I kinda want to see if we kept any photos from that era :ok:

─── °∘❉∘° ───

─── °∘❉∘° ───
Morson

Hello, I am morson!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024 @877.09 »

Here's mine, the farthest back I can think is my dad showing me a Thomas the Tank Engine website with a flash game on it. I can't remember if it was a game where you pop balloons or if you color the trains in, either way, once completed you'd get a spray of confetti. I remember just sitting on my dad's lap playing the game for a while, curious to what I was doing.

My dad isn't very tech-savvy, nor does he really enjoy the internet beyond facebook shorts now.  :sad: Makes me wonder how he even thought to search for this!  :wizard:

* webmemory.png (22.61 kB, 400x300 - viewed 22 times.)

:tongue::evil::wizard::sleep:
Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's not gay if it's the floor...

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: anchorgutz
PicMix: brynnstic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024 @607.77 »

My first real memory of the internet was watching a mlp theory video about Celestia and Luna's parents!! I remember being so enamoured by it. I cant seem to find the video nowadays, as I think it may have been deleted :tnt:

Whoever created that video, I hope they know its been living rent free in my mind for the past decade  :dog:

I was 5-6, I think, so likely 2012-2013? My memory's always been fuzzy with years :,)

Last night I drove to Harper's Ferry and I thought about you...
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

Torture me with sorcery

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2024 @936.93 »

I believe the year was either 1999 or 2000 when I was about 7 years old, I had my first IT class in primary school which had just got a load of PCs. We had to look something up on the internet using AskJeeves. I remember it so well because my teacher said "..and do not look up any naughty words like SEX!" and I remember thinking "why would I do that?" oh how innocent I was  :ok:

I remember the page so well because it used that horrid off-white/yellow we all now love as part of vintage pc-nostalgia. and the clip-art adjacent Mr.Jeeves himself. I also remember the bright blue hypertext links which always seemed to vastly populate every webpage back then.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024 @421.63 by Absentmind » Logged

varve
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2024 @972.08 »

The web, or the internet?

I was poking around BBS and IRC a bit, then found out this new program called Netscape Navigator could let you look at space photos directly from NASA, without phoning a BBS long distance! I took the bus to my ISP's office and asked about it, and sweet-talked them into downloading it onto a couple of floppy disks for me which *technically* they weren't supposed to do even though it was free to download. *Then* I started using the web.

Though possibly I was using the web in a text browser as part of doing BBS stuff. I was a bit hazy on the distinction at the time.
Oceansandy02
Newbie ⚓︎

Ocean (He/They)

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: oceansandy02

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2024 @975.37 »

I remember that when I was in first grade, I saw someone play Papas Burgeria on CoolMath games on a laptop. I ended up playing Papa's Donuteria, and It was so fun. I remember that I had to put the donuts in a fryer or something for it to cook. I also was afraid of the closers.

tertiaryapocalypse
Jr. Member ⚓︎

travelling through space at a very high speed

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: tertiaryapocalypse

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!bred :3Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2024 @7.45 »

okay. i grew up in the 2010s and i'm pretty sure this memory is from 2012? originally i was gonna do the youtuber stampy cat, but i remembered this computer class i took in elementary school. i don't even remember what we were supposed to be learning-- block coding, maybe? but i remember they set us up in front of big PCs and turned off the lights and it felt a little magical.

obviously elementary schoolers given internet access will not result in a whole lot of productivity. a lot of the kids in my class ended up fooling around on online gaming websites-- later on in my life i remember going on field trips to the library with kids rushing to the computers to play minecraft online. but that's off topic.

the most memorable online gaming site for me was friv. it's still up nowadays but it looks *way* different. friv hosted a lot of flash games, and i played a lot of cooking or fashion games when i was younger. it's mirrored the way i remember it on the wayback machine, but it doesn't seem like the games still work.

here's the link.

edit: whoops, i guess i technically cheated! before i found the right url i couldn't remember the name of the site-- whether it was fritz, franz.... etc. i did remember a grid display and a distinct purple colour, though! and i remembered a specific fashion game that let you do a world tour and rated you with either three or five stars-- i'm not sure.

* webmemories.png (17.8 kB, 644x467 - viewed 12 times.)

* webmemories.png (17.8 kB, 644x467 - viewed 7 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024 @10.27 by tertiaryapocalypse » Logged

TERTIARYAPOCALYPSE.a button reading long gone legends in black and white with an eye icon with a star pupil
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 60
Views: 9013
Last post September 27, 2024 @517.45
by candycanearter07
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 39
Views: 16214
Last post October 04, 2024 @492.99
by Monoki
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 20
Views: 9906
Last post October 17, 2024 @830.53
by ヤーナム

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi