Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 01, 2024 - @593.96 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 51/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Static Site Generators

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Static Site Generators  (Read 1534 times)
Obspogon
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Hi

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: obspogon
iMood: Obspogon
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: May 24, 2022 @137.09 »

Those are basically what they sound like. Make some files, run a command, and get a folder that's an entire site. More info here.

I've just updated my site to use Eleventy.

They make a website so much easier to manage. Thoughts?

----------------------
https://obspogon.neocities.org/
----------------------

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022 @537.65 »

They can be super handy, but they can also force you into a box because they encourage standard design. They help address the navbar issue though (how to get a consistent navbar across a large messy site).

TextureTown uses a custom site generator that's super fun, it just reads in the texture folders and generates all the pages and meta data n thumbnails n everything! I have a suspicion that 99GifShop uses Eleventy. So they really shine when you have a lot of stuff you need to put on your site fast.

I think the only downside is if you lose your generator code and then you cant update your site easily any more :ohdear:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022 @812.21 »

They can be super handy, but they can also force you into a box because they encourage standard design. They help address the navbar issue though (how to get a consistent navbar across a large messy site).

TextureTown uses a custom site generator that's super fun, it just reads in the texture folders and generates all the pages and meta data n thumbnails n everything! I have a suspicion that 99GifShop uses Eleventy. So they really shine when you have a lot of stuff you need to put on your site fast.

I think the only downside is if you lose your generator code and then you cant update your site easily any more :ohdear:

i hate to break it to you that 99gifshop is not that elegant >_> the first 3 pages or so were handwritten till i learned enough php. i have a copy of 99gifshop on my leprd server that generates the HTML for me then i copy+paste it on neocities. updating old pages is getting to be a pain as the site grows so i should finally learn how to use a static site generator hahaha :ziped:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022 @844.71 »

i hate to break it to you
Excuse me please do not spoil my idea that you are a genius who knows how to do everything! :sad:

You should definitely look into it though, I think 99G already follows the standard output format that Eleventy uses (Of like, /items/1/index.html etc and the gifs in each folder /items/2/33.gif etc) so it should be as simple as making the first template page, giving it all the images and lettin-er rip!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022 @986.44 »

okay the other night i tried out 11ty using flamed's guide and was able to make a simple site, however im having a nightmare of a time trying to get it to work for 99gifshop :ohdear: i shall try it again another time when my brain can make sense of it hahaha

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1931
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 27
Views: 5809
Last post April 27, 2024 @949.13
by bliss
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4369
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi