Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 25, 2024 - @517.34 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  How do you think time travel would work?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you think time travel would work?  (Read 75 times)
Audball
Jr. Member ⚓︎

WOE BE TO THOSE WHO SEE!!!

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: audball

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 12, 2024 @670.06 »

This has always been a question that rattles in my head from time to time. I know there are probably some super scientific reasons why time travel would or wouldn't work, but I'm more interested in the ways that YOUR brain seems okay with. I guess I'm just looking for creative examples of how people may explain it in fiction.

My thoughts on it are an example:
My brain likes to think that "Time Travel" wouldn't quite REALLY exist how it's portrayed, but instead would be a kinda inter-universal travel. If I wanted to travel from today (October 12, 2024) to, say, August 12th, 1997, then the time machine would somehow find and lock onto a universe where (assuming multiverse theory is true) the universe is almost exactly like our own, except it started later than our universe, so we're coexisting in the omniverse at the exact same time, but while in THIS universe it is October 12, 2024, in the OTHER universe it is August 12, 1997.

Here is a visual example I whipped up in MS Paint.

I'd love to here anyone elses ideas! I know this is probably a very "out there" topic, but it's something nonetheless I think! :grin:

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." ~Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Slaughterhouse Five
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2024 @889.26 »

What you describe wouldn't really be time travel, so much as interdimensional travel, if you assume we exist in a multiverse, another universe that was similar to ours, but much earlier in time wouldn't be the same timeline, because past versions of ourselves wouldn't exist there.

That is how I perceive your way of explaining it anyway! Maybe I've misunderstood.

Inlusione
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2024 @665.93 »

This is one of the ways in which paradoxes and logical inconsistencies that are usually present in time travel theories and stories are avoided, but you'll yet again encounter yourself in that universe if you want to and your presence will be at least possibly known by "you from that universe" at some point in time - basically it's relocating the paradox of encountering oneself in that universe instead of your own.

This idea where every decision and event creates a new branching universe was used in a few recent shows that I've watched and it was a bit more interesting to see this instead of the classics with the grandfather paradox and other anomalies that already became oversaturated. Based on your idea, your consciousness transfer between universes and you simply cease to exist in the current reality altogether by being completely transferred to the other, in a similar way in which we use to simply commute. It's interesting, but it might get a bit messy in the long run. I also like the idea of information being sent back in time, allowing the past to be influenced without physical presence - it's also really messy as we've seen the consequences in various media but fun nonetheless. It's a nice topic and I've always been drawn to these ideas and all the mind-boggling implications, paradoxes and rabbit holes and I'm still waiting for new shows, movies and games based on this to appear, I don't seem to get enough of it already.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024 @669.19 by Inlusione » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's VSynth Works

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 13
Views: 2801
Last post July 04, 2023 @605.29
by Memory
Your favourite gaming platform of all time (all time!)

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 15
Views: 2817
Last post November 16, 2023 @124.12
by mahoroa
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 42
Views: 5210
Last post September 29, 2024 @977.08
by boyrotting

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi