Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 27, 2024 - @639.49 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 30/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 361.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects
| | |-+  ☕︎ ∙ Everyone Website
| | | |-+  Proposal: Explode the Everyone site homepage!!!!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Proposal: Explode the Everyone site homepage!!!!  (Read 132 times)
Rol
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Silly Miltank

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 23, 2024 @554.40 »

I think the homepage is boring! And I think there's a long list of links that could be made a lot less boring!

What if we exploded (split them up) into multiple pages? Like different areas leading to different pages. Different themed areas leading to different pages, maybe?

Maybe a physical bulletin board for very informational announcey pages?
Some home-y neighborhood page for cozy familar to a real world-goer pages?
A city page?
An outer space page for miscellaneous pages that don't fit anywhere?

And for the loong long and kinda hard to navigate rooms page... What if we split them into multiple floors? What if we made them PURPOSEFULLY cryptic! And you'd have to find someone saying what number their room was on another page on the website?

I am just giving ideas, I think it'd be fun if we took the boring, long, standard homepage, and changed it, and made it so the whole thing was more rabbit hole-ish!

Quote from: melooon
you: Hello fridge, I would like the milk please :cheesy:
fridge: Ooo u look so pretty, lemmy order more onions from Amazon
you: wait no! :drat:
fridge: i love you so much i ordered onions!

Kallistero
Full Member ⚓︎

SOON.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2024 @637.78 »

I'd noticed that one-link-deep structure when I was adventuring through the pages linked to the homepage so I could vandalize them add the script to enable the homepage cursors on them!  :omg:  Of the pages that are on the Everyone site homepage, there aren't really pages that link to other pages on the site; a lot of them are one-door rooms that, by their link structure, lead either outside or nowhere at all!

I think it'll be cool to have a room that's like a train station that leads to train stops that invite others to build stuff, or a workshop page that leads to work-in-progress pages that people are making or using to experiment with, or a museum with pictures on the wall that are actually iframes/webgardens that you can jump into by clicking them! Just hub worlds or hallways or showcases or subsites or whatever you like to call them, however you want to present them, that's a big part of the pages that I'd want to make when I get the itch to add more pages to the site.

I'd just want to make the page & add the links before moving things off of the homepage  :ok:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2024 @595.10 by Kallistero » Logged

I miss the pomegranate :trash:
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2024 @661.78 »

Why don't you just build the rabbit holes and train stations you have in mind? I doubt anyone will hinder you, but rather that everyone will be delighted if you implement such cool stuff!
Just moved a music blog I had as a site project on neocities over to the everyone-website. It didn't get auto-listed on the index-page. If you want to hide it at any cool hub, just gimme a note.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2024 @672.81 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

Kallistero
Full Member ⚓︎

SOON.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2024 @761.75 »

Why don't you just build the rabbit holes and train stations you have in mind?

I'm fresh off of making & applying the cursor script, so stuff would probably have appeared after a little more time. But sometimes, you just have ideas that are big, ideas that are many, or ideas that you probably want community input on! Maybe you don't feel comfortable making big changes to the homepage without giving a heads up, since lots of other people have put their own efforts into making the page what it is  :ohdear:

I think it can be nice to have discussion threads to throw something like this out there, to conceptualize before putting paint to canvas. Lots of people like to plan out their pages, too, and a little collaborative planning & brainstorming can't hurt  :smile:

I miss the pomegranate :trash:
invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2024 @767.73 »

I think the homepage is boring! And I think there's a long list of links that could be made a lot less boring!

What if we exploded (split them up) into multiple pages? Like different areas leading to different pages. Different themed areas leading to different pages, maybe?

Maybe a physical bulletin board for very informational announcey pages?
Some home-y neighborhood page for cozy familar to a real world-goer pages?
A city page?
An outer space page for miscellaneous pages that don't fit anywhere?

And for the loong long and kinda hard to navigate rooms page... What if we split them into multiple floors? What if we made them PURPOSEFULLY cryptic! And you'd have to find someone saying what number their room was on another page on the website?

I am just giving ideas, I think it'd be fun if we took the boring, long, standard homepage, and changed it, and made it so the whole thing was more rabbit hole-ish!

I think that the request to change the currently existing one actually is the wrong attitude as it results in what currently exists getting torn down as in replaced. A better option would be to gather people to help you make a new one and then when its done trying to get it put up alongside the other one. As anyone who has seen any html I have ever made could attest, I am a MASSIVE fan of pages full of just links to documents and files. So that also means I am biased.  :melon:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2024 @769.42 by invader_gvim » Logged

xixxii
Full Member ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Web 1.0 Picture Size Expertthe xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2024 @910.34 »

i think people add links to their rooms and pages to the front page because they want them to be easy to find, so deleting those and making them hard to find again might be a bit bothersome!
personally i think it's more fun to add and replace things on the everyone site while deleting as little as possible; it reminds me of those bulletin boards and walls where people just layer posters on top of posters forever. i think it should be as chaotic and cluttered and weird as possible!!  :evil:  :evil:

besides that, i think these are fun ideas to add to the everyone site! a train-themed navigation system would be fun, too! nightfall.city has a train, and the smallweb subway webring is also really cool! i like a train.

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2024 @960.31 »

@Kallistero wasn't meant as taunt, I'd actually really like to see such stuff  :grin:.
I, however, understand that you want to get feedback first, and also agree that replacing the everyone index page ain't that good - I'd rather recommend to create a subpage/subpages with the designs you have in mind, linking stuff that is not available at the index page at all (either by creating new stuff or by asking other users to delete their links there). The effect of coming to some great, contorted hub from the index page would be certainly great :).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2024 @968.88 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

tertiaryapocalypse
Jr. Member ⚓︎

travelling through space at a very high speed

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: tertiaryapocalypse

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!bred :3Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2024 @998.29 »

we could potentially copy the index page over as a sitemap, too! if we go with a train navigation we could make it the line map or whatever its called  :grin:

i do really like the idea of a more interesting landing page though. maybe we could port over the rooms one (or multiple!) diffrent apartment buildings/suburbs?

TERTIARYAPOCALYPSE.a button reading long gone legends in black and white with an eye icon with a star pupil
xixxii
Full Member ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Web 1.0 Picture Size Expertthe xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2024 @95.43 »

proposal for train line navigation overlay at the bottom of the screen!

horizontal scrolling for navigating the line. cute animations a must. mouseover a stop to see the name of it. different colors for different lines... if your room links to a non-room everyone page then it's an interchange stop and you can switch lines?? ideally the train would also make a "choo choo" noise i think.

idk how doable this actually would be on a sitewide basis since i dont javascript haha. i know it's possible to have a javascript overlay thing follow you from page to page because the scm music player does that... i don't know how it could be kept updated so folks could add their rooms to the line, though...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 2387
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 8659
Last post August 02, 2024 @153.99
by candycanearter07
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 33
Views: 6035
Last post August 14, 2024 @142.36
by WK_0

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi