Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @322.13 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Building my site from the ground up!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Building my site from the ground up!  (Read 1161 times)
DJoftheCoven
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Eng. Esp. Fra. 한

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: June 06, 2022 @186.63 »

I debated for a while about where to put this, and I'm still not entirely sure. :ohdear: Let me know if you think it should go on another board!

Anyway, after receiving Melooon's welcome package and reading through the (incredibly well made!!!) webmaking guide, I realized that I wasn't happy with the way my website looked. There are so many cool ways to format a site that I still haven't tried! I know I'm new to programming, but I feel like I'm ready to at least begin brainstorming the way I want my site to look in the future. I've got big ideas!

Therefor, I created my first big vision for the future appearance of DJ's Internet Cafe: a proposed landing page! What goes behind said landing page is still in the works, but I'll probably have a few potential designs sketched out by the end of the week.

Here's my rough sketch of the page:

My idea is that I'll create this image as a pixel art painting, then figure out how to insert the things I want in various areas. The site entrance and three clickable areas are labeled. I intend to make the computer one redirect either to my web manifesto or to melonland forum; I haven't decided. The tea set will lead to an area of my favorite pixel art snacks and drinks from various sites (linked, of course!). As for the window, I plan for it to display the setting of my favorite Pokemon Mystery Dungeon cutscene. When you click on it, it takes you to the full image of the beach, where it will play the track Bubbles Shining Over the Sea. Obviously, the "enter" button on the menu will lead to the actual website.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any ideas as to how this vision can be accomplished!

(edit: I cannot for the life of me figure out how to resize this image :drat:smile:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022 @307.97 by DJoftheCoven » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022 @540.82 »

Yep this is the place for this! It seems like a totally solid idea, and I'm glad the guide was useful to you!

You can study MSBob and Packard Bell Navigator for ideas:

You'll prob want to aim for your pixel room to be around 1000px wide, that will allow it to fit on most screens without issues!

As for placing objects I have a trick for that!
Plonk this script on your page, and give all the objects you want to position the class "floater" and a unique ID (on the a tag so they work as links).
Add this CSS:
Code
      .floater {
        position: absolute;
        float: left;
        color: white;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
      }

.floater img {
        display: block;
      }
Then you'll be able to drag them to the positions you want.
Finally press any key and it will spit out CSS code (on the browser console) for the positions you currently have things dragged to.
Just copy and paste that CSS onto your html page and next time you reload everything will be where you dragged it to :cheesy: (Them remove the script, links don't work while the script is installed)

It sounds really fun! I look forward to seeing it :ozwomp:

P.S. Image resizing - There is a BBCode help button in the footer, and its explained here :grin:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022 @543.13 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
morrysillusion
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022 @785.74 »

really love the idea you have here! there is something so charming and homey about those old pages that just felt like you walked into someone's room, seeing scattered objects and clicking on them and just seeing where they take you. i have also been thinking about reworking my site to have a landing page as well, to feel more like its inviting you in- and to attempt some heavily hand drawn sites that feel 'immersive' for their themes be it a home page or something else.

excited to see how you page turns out! there is SO much that can be done with a website, so much to make it personal. i get easily overwhelmed by all the possible "what ifs" but i have very much liked the vibes of landing pages like this too.

DJoftheCoven
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Eng. Esp. Fra. 한

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022 @243.03 »

Thank you for such amazing advice, Melooon! I've been meaning to respond for a while now, but the second I posted my idea I basically blacked out and emerged from my coma 48 hours later with a color design. I can't wait to try that little bit of code and see what I can do with it! :grin:

I've got my mock-up right here:

I tried my best to make it as big as I could, but the art program I usually use only allows up to 700 pixels. I hope it'll fit.

Also, thank you for the kind words, morrysillusion! :4u:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022 @246.59 by DJoftheCoven » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1918
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 26
Views: 5755
Last post January 26, 2024 @915.29
by Paprika
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4342
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi