Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @659.70 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  What's the last movie you watched and how did you like it?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched and how did you like it?  (Read 6725 times)
myry
Casual Poster ⚓︎

let's get groovy, mate

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: June 18, 2022 @906.26 »

As the title says! The latest movie I watched was Fire and Ice from 1983. I've been watching a lot of older animation movies lately and this was next on my list. The story and the pacing of the movie was pretty mediocre, but I loved the background paintings and that old-school visual style of this movie a lot!

MrsMoe
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022 @674.87 »

Close Encounters of the Third Kind! I'm pretty sure I've seen most of Spielberg's filmography by now, but this is one that's been escaping me for a while. I actually liked it a whole lot! It has the usual Spielbergian whimsy behind certain scenes, but a lot of it is genuinely really intense and ominous at times. The aliens have a great sense of mystery to them built up throughout the film and the drama that erupts within the family comes with some fantastic performances. Just a very heartfelt and engaging movie all around.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022 @656.64 »

Close Encounters is one of my all time favourite films, it has some incredibly moody scenes and the sense of expanse and mystery is unmatched! :grin:

I watched Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind last night. I last saw it when it was new and I was about 10 I didn't fully understand it then, so it was a new experience, particularly having now experienced a smilier breakup to the one it depicts :ohdear:

The start is a bit slow and the characters are.. narcissistic.. but I started to realise that was the point.. its about self obsession and the way we rarely look at others, and only focus on the idea of others we create in our minds. It starts to become more and more surreal and quite beautiful, and it made me rethink my own life a little. Its the sorta movie that you need to watch at the right moment, and it was the right moment for me :smile:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022 @974.75 »

I finally saw Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I really liked it, but it's definitely got a lot of Sam Raimi-isms that a lot of people seem to dislike. I thought the silliness and comic-bookiness really added to it though.

As the title says! The latest movie I watched was Fire and Ice from 1983. I've been watching a lot of older animation movies lately and this was next on my list. The story and the pacing of the movie was pretty mediocre, but I loved the background paintings and that old-school visual style of this movie a lot!

I have a list of Ralph Bakshi movies that I need to track down, and Fire and Ice is at the top. Even though I haven't seen many of them, I love the style of his movies. I remember getting to watch Cool World as a kid because my parents thought it would be like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. :grin:
AloeVega
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022 @660.82 »

A couple days ago, I watched Peanut Butter Falcon. I thought it was a super beautiful and touching story about how people should be allowed to live their own life on their own terms. The ending didn't quite resolve everything neatly in a way that felt realistic, but it was still a really satisfying ending, with the penultimate scene containing both the movies biggest triumph and what was probably the biggest tragedy. Highly recommend this one.

I finally saw Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I really liked it, but it's definitely got a lot of Sam Raimi-isms that a lot of people seem to dislike. I thought the silliness and comic-bookiness really added to it though.
I saw Multiverse of Madness recently too. I thought the plot as a whole was just kinda alright, nothing especially interesting to me, but I liked that it more-or-less took itself seriously (my biggest issue with most of the MCU), and the visual style was amazing thanks to Sam Raimi. I think I'll always prefer comic book movies that embrace being comic book movies rather than ones that feel embarrassed of their roots. Also, the music fight scene was the best part of that movie, and probably my favorite fight scene in any Marvel movie.
CyberCat2000
Casual Poster

Astral Dragon Mech Pilot

StatusCafe: cybercat2000

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022 @628.31 »

A couple of days ago, I saw The Fifth Element, and I'll have to agree that comic book movies are a LOT better when they're embracing their roots! While not based on any comic book, it is very strongly influenced by the Franco-Belgian comic books of yore, and it holds a unique style that admittedly, does scream "90s vision of the future", but still looks great to this day! Admittedly, the plot's the typical "save the universe from destruction" thing, but there's a surprisingly compelling world and memorable characters in the film. (And who can forget the opera fight scene?)

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022 @838.03 »

The latest movie I watched was Venom: Let There Be Carnage. I was one of the people who actually enjoyed the first Venom movie, even though it was admittedly really flawed. The scenes felt like they were pieced together from six different versions of the script.

But Let There Be Carnage is really good. Still not perfect, but it takes what worked with the first movie and does a lot more of it. It shows Sony can make a good Spider-Man spinoff movie when the right people are involved. I'm still not looking forward to the Kraven movie, though.

A couple of days ago, I saw The Fifth Element, and I'll have to agree that comic book movies are a LOT better when they're embracing their roots! While not based on any comic book, it is very strongly influenced by the Franco-Belgian comic books of yore, and it holds a unique style that admittedly, does scream "90s vision of the future", but still looks great to this day! Admittedly, the plot's the typical "save the universe from destruction" thing, but there's a surprisingly compelling world and memorable characters in the film. (And who can forget the opera fight scene?)

The Fifth Element is one of my all-time favourite movies so I was really looking forward to Luc Besson's follow-up, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. The trailers looked great and it was poised to be the spiritual successor to The Fifth Element, but it fell flat in every way. I was so disappointed I could have cried.
syx (dead)
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022 @835.10 »

I watched Luca. It was pretty overrated.

POOP" width="500" height="50
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022 @746.90 »

I watched Escape from New York for the first time, and I hate to be that guy but Escape from L.A. is way better. The story is cheesy and the special effects are terrible, but at least it isn't boring like N.Y.
wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022 @435.66 »

I watched Escape from New York for the first time, and I hate to be that guy but Escape from L.A. is way better. The story is cheesy and the special effects are terrible, but at least it isn't boring like N.Y.

I loved both movies, but Escape from L.A. really was special. Snake is such a cool dude. The leather coat, the eye-patch, the voice. What's not to like?

Over the past couple days, I watched:

- Bohemian Rhapsody. It was pretty good. Sounds like they really played it fast and loose with the facts, though.
- '71. A story about a British soldier getting stranded on his own in Northern Ireland overnight during The Troubles. I'm currently in the middle of reading Say Nothing, which is a non-fiction book set in the same place at around the same time, so that probably coloured my perception of the film.
- Spiderhead. A thriller set in a prison where volunteers get to live in (comparative) luxury and ease in exchange for being subjected to mood control drug experiments. It wasn't exactly spectacular, but I thought it was a good watch, and worth more than the brutal 39% Rotten Tomatoes score.
- The Others. Family lives in a spooky old house in the middle of nowhere. What could go wrong?

... I watch too much TV.
tenkai_no_perusona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

あたしは暗い旅に出る

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022 @627.14 »

Shiraishi Kouji's Occult. I really love Noroi by the same director, and as such, I've been intending to watch Occult for a while. Now that I've finally managed to do it... It's fantastic! It has all the qualities Noroi has as a mockumentary/found footage hybrid (superb acting, good pacing, intricate worldbuilding, etc.), but changes things up by going for a more weird fiction direction.

The director self-inserted himself (quite well, in fact) as one of the protagonists and even invited Kurosawa Kiyoshi to make a cameo as an actually important character in the film; all of that raises the cool factor of it even more.

wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022 @488.29 »

Shiraishi Kouji's Occult. I really love Noroi by the same director, and as such, I've been intending to watch Occult for a while.

Oh, sweet. Noroi has been on my list for a while, so both of these have just moved up a few spaces.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022 @950.25 »

I watched 2 good movies recently!

First was Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022) which seems to be a movie about an evil Ozwomp taking over the multiverse. It has the lady from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and a guy who is pretending to be Jackie Chan. The movie itself was a bit exhausting, but lots of fun! Its one of the best sci-fi movies Iv seen made in the last 10 years.

The second movie was Days of Heaven (197:cool: which is a drama set in about 1915 midwest of the US. I watched it because my dad said it might be his favourite film. I can totally see why it warrants being a favourite film; its super captivating and has an intense mood and amazing narration. I highly recommend it :omg:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022 @10.67 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ArtisTheFox
Casual Poster

Hi! I'm Artis, a dark soul with a kind heart

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022 @512.60 »

F9: The Fast Saga
Ninth film of the Fast and Furious franchise, one of my favourite franchises. Honestly it was one of the weaker ones but still enjoyable and fun. The physics were so ridiculous that it was genuinely funny. I like how many international locations were used. I honestly can't get enough new movies from F&F. And it's not like the first two were good and the rest sucked, they're all good to great, some of the best are even later ones.

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022 @785.21 »

I watched Prey last night and really liked it. Normally I don't like when they redesign a classic monster or alien, but the Predator in this film looks really awesome. Morseo with the mask on than off, but it's close enough to the original with the mask off that I can't fault it.

I have a couple of complaints, but not really with the characters or story. There were just some odd production choices that felt goofy or out of place. Overall I'd rank it as #3 on my list of the best Predator movies, which goes:

#1. Predators - I know this will be a controversial top choice, but I love this movie and think it's easily the best in the series
#2. Predator
#3. Prey
#4. Predator 2
#5. Alien vs Predator
#6. Aliens vs Predator Requiem
#99999999... The Predator - Oh my god, this movie was awful. It doesn't matter how many terrible sequels they make. This will always be at the bottom.

And I just want to take the time to mention, now that Disney owns the Predator franchise, we really need a Muppets vs Predator movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4959
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
Old French Animated Sci-fi Movies

Started by DojidaveBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 5
Views: 1561
Last post October 22, 2022 @478.83
by PineTree
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3189
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi