Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @660.81 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 69/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Making a start page?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Making a start page?  (Read 2252 times)
Lyonid
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Controlled Chaos ~ Please be kind.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2023 @432.16 »

I would love to see what everyone else comes up with. Especially because we can share our prototypes with each other!
Looks cool! This made me notice though that my Firefox seems to ignore your custom font. On your entire website, too. Only realized because of your screenshot.
Maybe you can fill the second row with important dates (just gotta edit that every now and then, I guess) or checkbox for ToDos, or maybe you got friends in different time zones and display their time zones there? :smile:

Thank you for the notice and ideas! I have absolutely no clue how to fix the font though. T_T I also thought about a list of links to the websites of other people - to check out what they're up to! Or just a fancy search bar smh. So many possibilities.

xx <3
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023 @442.96 »

I also thought of some more ideas (may be interesting for people making theirs)
- embed of your favorite song or music video
- a canvas element you can draw in, like a mini MS Paint
- picture of the week/day/month
- pictures of your pets or loved ones
- random joke button
- interesting counters of your life (so many days until vacation, so many days since i graduated, etc; I recently made a page like this for my site, but still need to implement a clock into the shelf where I can link it..)

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2023 @783.91 »

I think I will work on a little public start page on Libre Town now, one that anyone can use as their homepage, with links to all kinds of starting points to kill time or browse the web in.
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2023 @819.63 »

I've been reading this thread and it inspired me a lot  :ozwomp: Made me think about how start pages are one of the very first things that people see when they get on the Internet and also made me think about this video clamoring for better designed GUIs and how overall, programs and machines should service the user and make things easier for them, and also be highly customizable so everybody can adapt it to their needs  :4u:

So in the end, I made this custom thingy for my start page:

It's inspired by a dream I once had about "The Operative System of My Mind", only I gave it a more retro web flavor instead of the smartphone-like interface it had on my dream  :4u: (Windows, Mindows, MindOS.... hah). Almost all the icons come from Kidpix stamps and this is overall meant to be like an agenda where I get to keep track of things I don't want to lose sight of.

It's a very personal thing so I can't share the start page itself, but I'll go over the details under the spoiler, for those curious about the buttons and stuff. Still a WIP but I got some good ideas on what I want on each.

Spoiler
The idea is that by clicking any button on the sidelines, I get to open a subpage on the iframe on the middle, sans a few exceptions. By default, is the same plain starry background, but here on the screenshot I'm showing the petsites. Scrolling down there's a GifyPet and I plan to put a few silly widgets to tinker around whenever I get time and learn how to put them.

:pc: Mind Games: Oh, this one is a lil' bit tough to explain. Do you ever come up with little games only for yourself so you can accomplish tasks in a more entertaining way? This is where I keep track of them, change their rules whenever things in my life change, etc.
 :defrag: Art: This is where I keep track of my art projects!  :dive: I put them inside a random generator list (now you know why I was asking that in the Help section!) in case I get stuck and I add to them whenever I come up with something new but can't work on it right at the moment.
 :pc: Web: Same as the Art button, but this time for ideas I have regarding my website. I keep having so many...
 :defrag: Recipes: Recipes is a bit different in the sense that it opens on a new tab and has the format of a book (which I found on other websites and I find it super cute but I still need to tinker with it to make it my own). It's a list of recipes arranged according to their "theme" (soups, desserts...). It's also different in the sense this is a page I'd like to add to my main website in the future.
 :pc: TV: It's yet another random generator, this time for shows I'd like to watch. I could still add movies here... this whole colum is overall lists of things. Same goes for Retro Games and another icon you see when scrolling down, Books (but that one will be a list, much like the recipes)

-----------------------------------------------

:defrag: Home: brings you back to the main start page :)
 :pc: Work: I plan to put here a list of links related to my job and places to find work. One of the reasons I like making a start page is that I get to put all these links together with no other distractions. It's very easy to me to go typing at the url bar only to end up somewhere completely different to what I intended  :drat:
 :defrag: Explore: Links to sites I tend to check out, non-mainstream search engines and any website I might find useful or interesting to check out
 :pc: Pet Sites: You're seeing it now! Links to all the pet sites I play or wish I could play more. Keeping track of my virtual pets, you know? :P
 :defrag: My site!: A quick link to my own website, a virtual home for me & my creations outside of my own mind.

------------------------------------------------

:pc: What Day is Today?: Basically, this is how I keep track of the routine I'd like to follow. Includes checkmarks for things achieved and a little writing space to take notes and explain to myself why I couldn't or didn't do the things expected.
 :defrag: Wisdoms: Here I want to put knowledge I find on the Internet, overall life advice that is good to keep in mind.  :unite:  Maybe it'll be a list, or I'll arrange it by categories, if that's possible.
 :pc: Worldbuilding: Probably a place to write worldbuilding ideas, both for worlds I have already created and ideas for new ones. This is probably gonna be less of an organized place and more of somewhere I can dump my streams of consciousness into.
 :defrag: Habits: To keep track of habits I want to acquire. Maybe not the "do X every day" kind, but more of the "after I do X, I do Y". Habit chaining! You should look it up.
 :pc: Contacts: Exactly what it says, a contact list of my friends, family, and other people I want to keep in touch with more often. Phone... phone is not doing it for me, okay?
 :defrag: Projects: A waiting room for all my long-projects! Those that will take longer than one or two afternoons, and those ideas I do not have the skills to bring them to reality yet. I actually made this one on paper first: along with each project description, it had a cute drawing of the representation of said project waiting, as if it was in a train station or an airport.

------------------------------------------------

:pc: Ambient Noise: An external link to my favourite MyNoise setup. Great for drowning out the noise of passing cars and hyperactive children  :tongue:
 :defrag: Jams for Work: An external link to a playlist composed of sweet jams that put me in the mood to get some stuff done (it's all Lento Violento)
 :pc: Quest Log: A fancy name for a list of pending things to do. You know, mundane stuff like "buy glue" and "check out X store to find Y"
 :defrag: Goals: Here's where I want to put my life goals. They say it'll be easier for them to come true if you write them down and have them somewhere visible. This is as close as I can get.
 :pc: Resources: This is kind of like the Wisdoms page, but instead of general life advice it's about practical stuff like how to fix things and what to do if you need help with something. It'll probably be a list of links as well.
 :defrag: Wishlist: A list of things I wanna purchase in the future, but also a list of people I'd like to support if I ever had enough money to become a bit of a patron, like artists and people who put out there good things in the world  :4u:
[close]

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2023 @835.83 »

So in the end, I made this custom thingy for my start page

Oh I really love your start page! The design is super cool and so many useful things! You've clearly put a lot of thought into it and I really like that you made your dream come to life :4u:

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2023 @547.28 »

Seeing everyone's start page encouraged me to make my own! It's pretty simple for now, but I'm sure I'll add to it and build upon it in the future!  :dive: Love what everyone's shared so far!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2023 @617.08 »

Seeing everyone's start page encouraged me to make my own! It's pretty simple for now, but I'm sure I'll add to it and build upon it in the future!  :dive: Love what everyone's shared so far!

Ah I saw it in your diary portion of the website and was looking forward to you posting it here :4u: it's so pretty and I love how cohesive it is with your sites, too. One of the links made me giggle a bit :happy:

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2023 @628.44 »

One of the links made me giggle a bit
LOL, I can only guess which... I actually have a few more links to add today, so I hope I can edit it in secret so that no one finds my chosen links :evil:...

Thank you very much for your kind words too!! :transport: Seeing everyone's own flavours here is very inspiring...!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023 @630.74 by awhe » Logged
Salty
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Internet Renaissance Woman

StatusCafe: saltedslug
iMood: saltedslug

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2023 @639.33 »

i love making start pages! I change mine up every year or so. I often use Github/Gitlab as inspiration. I particularly like this one, but my current Debian setup uses a fork of this one.  :innocent:

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2023 @725.58 »

Is that your artwork in the screenshot?

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2023 @730.46 »

Is that your artwork in the screenshot?
I wish! My friend sent the image to me, actually. It's from a "Groundwork of EVANGELION" book, and this is apparently the post they found the art from! The art is so gorgeous though, and I really love the styling of it...! :dive:
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2023 @732.11 »

OK, that would explain why the girl looked kinda familiar. I've watched Evangelion but I'm not enough of a fan to recognize Asuka every time I see her.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2023 @811.33 »

Haven't been using my Decker one in like 2 weeks because I was kind of sick of it; it still exists and is up, but I was yearning for something more lowkey and easier on the eyes. Mimi's post finally gave me the kick in the butt to make a new one :ozwomp:

Accidentally sent that post too early >:(

here:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023 @812.95 by shevek » Logged

pinkvampyr
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Claire (he/him) pink/black color combo enjoyer

StatusCafe: pinkvampyr
iMood: pinkvampyr
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2023 @873.67 »

oooo i'm definitely inspired to make my own startpage now too...

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2023 @879.11 »

These examples are all so pretty and organized but the concept of a 'start page' is so quaint to me, it implies that the person actually closes the browser window every now and then instead of making the computer live in a constant state of ram-consumption agony where the tabs have been open for more time than human history can recall!? :ozwomp:

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1037
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
Virtual worlds: where the heck do I start?

Started by GuestBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 5
Views: 2084
Last post June 08, 2023 @27.16
by Melooon
I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1766
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi