Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @444.35 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Name one small change that would ruin the retro web for you

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Name one small change that would ruin the retro web for you  (Read 2002 times)
« on: July 26, 2022 @780.17 »

Heya,

I have recently thought about this; imagine you were an evil trickster demon or something ( :ozwomp: ) on the mission to completely ruin the retro web/simple web for its users. The hiccup: you can only change one tiny thing about how it works. What would it be?

I'd introduce emoji reactions to forums and boards; you could like a topic or react with any number of emojis like on Facebook, but some of them would be obviously mean spirited or outright negative like a thumbs down button, an angry emoji or a nerd emoji. That'd surely change the culture a lot to the point where plenty of people would no longer be interested in it.
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022 @71.41 »

Oh, that's easy. I'd require a Facebook login for all interaction. Maybe that's TOO evil:dunno:

wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022 @355.29 »

Every day, you get an email about how many more views your friends’ sites are getting than yours.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022 @460.46 »

Data protection and copyright laws enforced by Neocities et al to the letter: clearly state the license of every badge, blinky, tiled background and frame on your site (which you must all have acquired rights for), no external media loading, no media playing on startup, no guest book without signing TOS,...
dantescanline
Casual Poster ⚓︎

give em hell!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022 @539.64 »

Data protection and copyright laws enforced by Neocities et al to the letter: clearly state the license of every badge, blinky, tiled background and frame on your site (which you must all have acquired rights for), no external media loading, no media playing on startup, no guest book without signing TOS,...

second, im so tired of these GDPR popups and TOS agreements!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022 @602.25 »

second, im so tired of these GDPR popups and TOS agreements!!!
They're "good intentioned", but once again put all the work on the customer/user instead of simply making non-functional opt-out data collection illegal, loosen up around simple media based third party content especial, and actually close down and expropriate corporations that violate these laws instead of giving them a slap on the fingers.

I used to be on SpaceHey and watched it explode in popularity, and was excited at first, but that was QUICKLY dampened by the fact that they apparently got a complaint and suddenly you couldn't use full HTML/CSS on your profile anymore, autoplay was deactivated, third party streaming was impossible, and so on and so on. And now you suddenly had to click disclaimers before being able to enter a customized profile. The fun was gone, and the userbase grew to suddenly include people who were not even accustomed to the RAWR and brought drama into it. v.v
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022 @856.74 »

Honestly.. I think if neocities went offline the spiritual heart of the web revival would evaporate.. its actualy a little worrying that so many great sites and the community that connects them all is so tied to a single site and the mysterious owner Kyle who none of us actually know much about :ziped:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
BradE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022 @443.29 »

Honestly.. I think if neocities went offline the spiritual heart of the web revival would evaporate.. its actualy a little worrying that so many great sites and the community that connects them all is so tied to a single site and the mysterious owner Kyle who none of us actually know much about :ziped:

True. Neocities is what gives the retroweb critical mass. There is nothing that comes close. It really is pretty amazing.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022 @678.63 »

That's why I host my own. More freedom, less centralization.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022 @502.08 »

If forums like this abolished the 'unread posts' button I would be lost and in shambles.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022 @540.90 »

Abolish the unread posts!! Long live the shambles!! :ha: :ha: :ozwomp: :ha: :ha:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022 @865.95 »

When the "retro" web stops being accessable through Netscape 9.0.0.6 on Windows 98.
I think that a proper website has to look good and be functional on the dustiest machines from the scrapyard.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022 @868.83 »

When the "retro" web stops being accessable through Netscape 9.0.0.6 on Windows 98.
I think that a proper website has to look good and be functional on the dustiest machines from the scrapyard.
Well, HTTPS will be an issue. Nowadays practically all websites enforce HTTPS; including Melonland, if I recall correctly.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022 @881.10 »

Well, HTTPS will be an issue. Nowadays practically all websites enforce HTTPS; including Melonland, if I recall correctly.
Indeed, but the browser tweaker "Roytam" made an update for the old Netscape and Firefox versions, that includes newer encryption ciphers.
The files can be currently found here:
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/ns9-nss-update.7z
Windows 98 will be able to participate on the current web for a couple of years probably.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2022 @1.12 »

Indeed, but the browser tweaker "Roytam" made an update for the old Netscape and Firefox versions, that includes newer encryption ciphers.
The files can be currently found here:
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/ns9-nss-update.7z
Windows 98 will be able to participate on the current web for a couple of years probably.

Oh that's super cool, thank you! I have a laptop around here somewhere running Red Hat Linux 7.1 from 2002, and it has Netscape Communicator on it. Maybe it'll work with that too if it's platform agnostic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20459
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5324
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3298
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi