Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @443.32 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Does anyone know (or use) an image host site?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know (or use) an image host site?  (Read 932 times)
Kiko
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I want a big sip of cucumber lemonade

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: July 31, 2022 @622.34 »

Since I want my website to be also an archive of my art and animations (and also my page design is very image based), I thought it would be better if I put my files (image, video and audio) in a host site and just link it in my html code.

what are your thoughts on this? anyone recommend a good one? so far I only know of Dropbox, but I wanted to know if there is more and/or better.
I preferably want an option where I can imbed it into my site rather then take you out of it.

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022 @681.55 »

The only one I've really used is Imgur. It seems pretty stable and easy to use as far as I know, and the other image hosts I've seen usually like to charge for their services.

There was another thread in the Tutorials section that touched on some of that a while back. You can check it out here:
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=443.msg2835#msg2835

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022 @694.83 »

It sounds like you might actually need something more like ArtStation if you are just looking to showcase your work in the most convenient way. I don't think you can embed that in a site though. I would suggest putting your fav images on your site by hand, keeping it all in one place; and linking out to something like ArtStation if you need a more serious showcase.

In terms of regular site images, definitely not! Putting images on a separate host to your html introduces an extra point of failure in your site and may make the site a little slower since the browser needs to load stuff from many locations instead of one!

For on-site video its a different story! Use a dedicated video host like Vimeo; loading videos from typical web servers is always clunky since its a much more complex streaming process.

For audio; on-site or offsite are both ok since typically you only have one file loaded at a time so there is not much impact.

You can certainly hand code a gallery of images and its not hard! It just involves a lot of copy and pasting :tongue: Good file organisation and image compression help too and thats also good practise for keeping an archive of your work.

Also what Frugal said ^^ thats a great thread to bring up!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
tarocchilla
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022 @866.57 »

It sounds like you might actually need something more like ArtStation if you are just looking to showcase your work in the most convenient way. I don't think you can embed that in a site though.

Hi! sorry if this is a bit late, i chacked and you can hotlink artstation to your site! :omg:
Kiko
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I want a big sip of cucumber lemonade

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022 @75.16 »

hey I’m also responding late to this cause I got extremely focus on building my site (^^ゞ
but yeah I think I’m gonna do what melon suggested and build the gallery myself since I want that control over what is displayed and how it’s displayed.
and as for Frugal’s thread, thank you! I was hesitant about image compression but I think you’re right, I look further into it(^▽^)

I don’t think artstation is what I’m looking for since I feel like it’s too professional:dunno: (like, I only know artstation as the “art portfolio” website, but I don’t really know much) and I want my art section to be like an archive of my old drawings from when I was a teenager, nothing too serious.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1897
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 26
Views: 5614
Last post January 26, 2024 @915.29
by Paprika
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4283
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi