Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 16, 2024 - @26.45 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 30/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Old Games + New Technology = <3

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old Games + New Technology = <3  (Read 1520 times)
Memory
« on: August 01, 2022 @570.64 »

I have recently noticed, that playing old games in modern times yields the best of both worlds and that really is what we are aiming for here, isn't it?

We have all the blockbusters of the olden days available for dirt cheap (or free :eyes:smile:, we can play everything on maximum graphics settings and fast loading times due to good hardware, have decades of mods, good Linux gaming support, can take advantage of modern hardware features such as portability (phones, Steam Deck, Switch, ...), touchscreens (I am currently playing Sims on a touchscreen laptop), legacy controllers, ...

Just some things that I can do today that would have blown people's minds a decade or two ago:

• Play modded Sims 2 with all expansion packs (legally for free) on a touchscreen GNU/Linux laptop on the go
  • Own a modded PS Vita that plays hundreds of games from all retro consoles up to the PS Vita itself, all in one package that fits on a single SD card
  • Have a computer that can fit in my pocket but still play games like Skyrim or Civilization VI
  • Get from clicking 'play' to actually playing Sims 3 in ten seconds

Couple that with the ability to play modern games too, and the well-and-alive indie game subculture, and it's really a heaven out here.
It's similar to the retro web really: combine the aesthetics and functionality of the old with the potential of the new.
wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022 @576.79 »

Play modded Sims 2 with all expansion packs (legally for free)

:ozwomp: :ozwomp: H O W ? :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:
tarocchilla
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022 @673.81 »

I agree with this so much! my kid self would be so surprised that i can play sim city 4 without waiting half an hour loading time! :loved:
Also, they would think i'm totally cool for having so many indie games :ozwomp:
Memory
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022 @714.75 »

Play modded Sims 2 with all expansion packs (legally for free)

:ozwomp: :ozwomp: H O W ? :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

Teenage me had enough sense to login a few years ago when EA gave away the Ultimate Collection for free on Origin. :tongue:
Memory
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022 @843.92 »

I love retro games, but there are some that can be a pain to get working on modern hardware. GOG generally does a great job of updating games to work on current versions of Windows. For example, the Steam version of Tron 2.0 crashes instantly for a lot of people but the GOG version works flawlessly (at least for me). But I have encountered a few games with compatibility issues, like Sacrifice which doesn't work on high dpi screens so I have to use my laptop if I want to play it.

If you don't want to resort to piracy, licensing can be an issue too. We'll probably never see a legitimate re-release of the No One Lives Forever games because the rights have changed hands so many times that no one knows who owns it. But I'm okay with downloading games that the copyright holders aren't making available themselves for whatever reason.

But aside from those issues, it's nice when you can finally play a game that would have taxed the hell out of an average PC back when it was released. Giants: Citizen Kabuto used to become unplayable at the end of the first campaign because the framerate dropped to a slideshow, but now I can actually finish it. And while a game like Trespasser got criticized at launch for its steep hardware requirements, we can now fully appreciate it. It's still deeply flawed, but I got plenty of enjoyment out of it because Dinosaurs!

Version
Casual Poster

Ver. Narrative game and mystery media lover.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022 @810.06 »

One pretty funny part of playing old games on new displays is that it sometimes makes them look worst. Here's an example. Old games were meant for blurry CRT screens, and developers took advantage of that effect. A lot of old graphics have pixelated corners that were obscured by CRT blurring. It's nothing super detrimental, but still interesting.
Memory
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022 @823.30 »

One pretty funny part of playing old games on new displays is that it sometimes makes them look worst. Here's an example. Old games were meant for blurry CRT screens, and developers took advantage of that effect. A lot of old graphics have pixelated corners that were obscured by CRT blurring. It's nothing super detrimental, but still interesting.
I enjoy that Twitter account :smile:

It's also interesting how games like Sonic 2 used the scan lines of old TVs to achieve a parallax scrolling effect, and some game boy games would simulate transparency by flickering at half the screen's refresh rate.
tarocchilla
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022 @879.62 »

I wonder if there is a way to apply a crt screen filter to your laptop while you play, it would be pretty cool!
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022 @116.42 »

Most good emulators have scan line effects that you can toggle on and off. I've got the retroarch emulator on my phone and I've used them there. They look really great! I dunno about pc originals though. They were originally played on crt monitors but I haven't seen many filters for them.

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022 @952.45 »

I'm personally a bit purist when it comes to this, and a bit passionate. I feel like you're not getting the full experience if you emulate or using a modded console.

It's like how they say VHS tapes are best viewed on a 4:3 CRT TV. It's not just a nostalgia thing (Though that does play a role), tapes were made to be viewed on those TVs.

It's a lot like how older games were made to be 4:3, and 360i, or on a cartridge/disc.

I also feel like having everything there on a menu instead of needing to pull out a physical game dilutes the sentimental value, and makes them feel more disposable. I can imagine I'd get choice paralysis from that.

That said, I can totally understand those who go down the emulation route in a practical sense, as original hardware and games are getting more and more expensive. I also emulate if I can't use a physical game/hardware.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022 @682.26 »

I'm personally a bit purist when it comes to this, and a bit passionate. I feel like you're not getting the full experience if you emulate or using a modded console.

It's like how they say VHS tapes are best viewed on a 4:3 CRT TV. It's not just a nostalgia thing (Though that does play a role), tapes were made to be viewed on those TVs.

It's a lot like how older games were made to be 4:3, and 360i, or on a cartridge/disc.

I also feel like having everything there on a menu instead of needing to pull out a physical game dilutes the sentimental value, and makes them feel more disposable. I can imagine I'd get choice paralysis from that.

That said, I can totally understand those who go down the emulation route in a practical sense, as original hardware and games are getting more and more expensive. I also emulate if I can't use a physical game/hardware.

Yeah, I feel that there's nothing quite like the feeling of taking the disc/cart out and looking at the cover art, turning on the console, and having it all right there. It's both nostalgic and more "concrete," if that makes sense. I don't play my game collection as much as I probably should, but sometimes I just really enjoy going through and looking at it and holding the games in my hands.

But that said, I think as long as you're having fun, there's no wrong way to enjoy a game! There are a few games that I'll never really be willing to shell out the money for, or games that weren't ever translated into English, or just are too rare and don't show up often in the secondary market enough. I'm super grateful for emulation when it comes to those titles, or for those who just can't afford the physical media, or don't have space for it.

Zusk
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: zusk

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022 @911.97 »

For me, being able to treat my Steam Deck as a "Gamecube Portable" is what I have wanted out of gaming for the last 20 years. I remember when the Gamecube Portable was just a hoax, now I essentially have it in my hands! Its wild. :ozwomp:
Memory
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022 @955.24 »

For me, being able to treat my Steam Deck as a "Gamecube Portable" is what I have wanted out of gaming for the last 20 years. I remember when the Gamecube Portable was just a hoax, now I essentially have it in my hands! Its wild. :ozwomp:

In the same way, a modded PS Vita with Retroarch for all retro consoles. ;P
Memory
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022 @964.48 »

Are you using RetroArch or something similar? I only have a little bit of experience with modding systems to play classic games, so I don't know if I'd be willing to risk such an expensive device, but being able to take my GameCube library with me anywhere would be awesome.

I mostly use my PS Vita as a portable PSOne, but pretty much every game I wanted was available legitimately through the store so I had no need to mod it.
Zusk
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: zusk

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022 @10.02 »

Are you using RetroArch or something similar? I only have a little bit of experience with modding systems to play classic games, so I don't know if I'd be willing to risk such an expensive device, but being able to take my GameCube library with me anywhere would be awesome.

I mostly use my PS Vita as a portable PSOne, but pretty much every game I wanted was available legitimately through the store so I had no need to mod it.

Using EmuDeck, which is pretty close to RetroArch! For me it made sense finanically since I really needed a computer upgrade for games, but didn't really want to put out like 1200 needed for a reasonable PC... :pc:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4179
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1630
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Memory
newsletters for dum-dums [not a tutorial, i'm the dum-dum]

Started by luluBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 3
Views: 1693
Last post June 27, 2022 @476.60
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi