Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @261.94 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Playdate! (mini console)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playdate! (mini console)  (Read 1101 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: August 08, 2022 @731.02 »

After a FULL year of waiting since ordering, my Playdate finally arrived today :grin:

For those of you who dont know, the Playdate is a small limited run handheld console made by Panic; weirdly the same company that makes my fav website editor (Nova) but most people know them more for making Firewatch and a dumb game about a goose I never played! The ad is cute!

It has a very reflective 2bit screen, a speaker, some buuttoons and a crank and also wifi and 4GB storage! Currently there is no midi player app but I WANT ONE; side note it would be really cool to make a web radio station that just played midis.

Also I really didn't plan to make anything for it, but now that its in my hands ooohh do i wanna make something for it :ozwomp: If you dont have one but wanna make stuff for it you can get a simulator on their dev page (its also got a game making program thing that I think lets you make games with minimal dev skills)

Iv been trying out unofficial sideloaded apps today, so far my favorite is this dumb horse racing simulator.

Its also got a cute lil planner app:

And POGN

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022 @752.87 »

That’s so cool!

Also, I dunno if chiptunes are technically the same as midis, but you might dig https://rainwave.cc/chiptune/
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022 @112.06 »

I remember seeing this thing several months back and filing it under "useless beautiful gadgets that I would love to buy." If you're interested in writing any sort of review I'd love to read it! I love these sorts of lower-bit toys (and I love the gameboy look...the gameboy pocket is my favorite handheld), but I still can't really shell out the money for this one. I didn't know they had a dev kit though, so I'll definitely be checking that out!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022 @545.21 »

Iv been having fun with video playback on it, you can speedshift videos with the crank! :ozwomp:

https://player.vimeo.com/vide:ha:738936046?h=fe7bf862a3

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
k4jtek
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022 @583.14 »

Iv been having fun with video playback on it, you can speedshift videos with the crank! :ozwomp:

https://player.vimeo.com/vide:ha:738936046?h=fe7bf862a3

That's... Kind of funny indeed, but is it playing normal .mp4 files? If yes, it's also cool to just see them playing on a 2-bit display.
Tadd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Don't know what this is but it sounds official

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023 @624.11 »

After a FULL year of waiting since ordering, my Playdate finally arrived today :grin:

For those of you who dont know, the Playdate is a small limited run handheld console made by Panic; weirdly the same company that makes my fav website editor (Nova) but most people know them more for making Firewatch and a dumb game about a goose I never played! The ad is cute!

It has a very reflective 2bit screen, a speaker, some buuttoons and a crank and also wifi and 4GB storage! Currently there is no midi player app but I WANT ONE; side note it would be really cool to make a web radio station that just played midis.

Also I really didn't plan to make anything for it, but now that its in my hands ooohh do i wanna make something for it :ozwomp: If you dont have one but wanna make stuff for it you can get a simulator on their dev page (its also got a game making program thing that I think lets you make games with minimal dev skills)

Iv been trying out unofficial sideloaded apps today, so far my favorite is this dumb horse racing simulator.

Its also got a cute lil planner app:

And POGN

OMG My playdate came in a couple months ago! I'm so excited to see other people grabbin 'em! What's your favrite game so far, now that it's been over a year?

Tadd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023 @628.03 »

I remember seeing this thing several months back and filing it under "useless beautiful gadgets that I would love to buy." If you're interested in writing any sort of review I'd love to read it! I love these sorts of lower-bit toys (and I love the gameboy look...the gameboy pocket is my favorite handheld), but I still can't really shell out the money for this one. I didn't know they had a dev kit though, so I'll definitely be checking that out!

I've weirdly enough found mine very useful! Something about it makes it really easy to put down, so it's good as a short break between work kind of thing. I used a pomodoro timer to space out work and games on there for a bit before migrating to a website I found more useful, and I use it regularly for meditation because there's a really nice little meditation app that plants trees! If you get the game bloom ( basically a cute text based story game with a flower growing minigame)  They even have a little lofi mode with all the game's soundtracks, and the main character studying. Having it on my desk is just a good pick me up. Bonus points because the case is magnetic, I can stick it on basically any flat metal surface and it will stay there. I have it sitting on my Parrot's little play stand right next to my desk so it can charge.I haven't played around with the mp3 capabilities yet but that will be my next adventure.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023 @676.53 »

game bloom
Bloom is a lovely game, I picked it up on itch when it first came out and I still listen to the soundtrack (The rain music, Downpour is the best!) :grin:

I also really liked the Helios series - its like this whole tiny zelda/final fantasy universe that only exists on playdate. Eyeland is great too, it's a really perfect example of a compelling mini RPG. After that I enjoy a lot of the lil arcade games like Cranner - but I gotta admit Im a bit boring and the game Iv played the most is Sparrow Solitaire :tongue:

I haven't looked at new games in a few months though so I should really take some time to explore it again.

Sorcer
Casual Poster ⚓︎

:)

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023 @992.93 »

I was hoping this thread would exist! I have a Playdate, though I admittedly haven't used it much. I guess I'm waiting for the right game to come out of Season 1. I was really hoping to like Crankin's Time Travel Adventure more since I love Keita Takahashi, but I found it confusing. Out of the games I currently have, I'm most looking forward to trying our Pick Pack Pup and Inventory Hero.

I wish there was a backlight, and still need to send my system in for its faulty A button....and also recharge it more.

Tadd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023 @997.03 »

I was hoping this thread would exist! I have a Playdate, though I admittedly haven't used it much. I guess I'm waiting for the right game to come out of Season 1. I was really hoping to like Crankin's Time Travel Adventure more since I love Keita Takahashi, but I found it confusing. Out of the games I currently have, I'm most looking forward to trying our Pick Pack Pup and Inventory Hero.

I wish there was a backlight, and still need to send my system in for its faulty A button....and also recharge it more.

I think that instead of a backlight, because I do quite like the reflective screen as an old gameboy color enthusiast, I think something like a reading light accessory would be fantastic. turn the playdate into the nefarious angler fish. I really enjoyed the alchemy game. Forgot the name, but its similar to potion craft in the creation aspect. some of it was a bit buggy, but the little mechanics were fun, and the art was just so so nice. has good vibes.

virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023 @248.32 »

I thought this was so weird (and awesome looking) but was confused where I recognized the general vibe from until I saw that teenage engineering is involved and instantly was like "OH THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING" lol. I love them so much! I am immediately interested in getting my hands on one of these!

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
Nikodile
Casual Poster ⚓︎

loosey goosey

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024 @708.44 »

This is such a neat take on a console. Honestly though, I haven't really used mine outside of the first week I had it. My personal favorite to play was the Shining Gadget games, monster collecting games are too fun. I should really recharge my console and see what's new.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 1
Views: 1679
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
Pixel Art - Mini Contest - New message icons!

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 19
Views: 3320
Last post January 24, 2024 @827.36
by slimeteefs
Retro Web vs. Anti-Bloat/Minimal Web

Started by GuestBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 19
Views: 3445
Last post September 24, 2022 @867.45
by Absentmind

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi