Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @970.03
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :sleep: These are fast times on the World Wide Web~ Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Git and Version Control


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Git and Version Control  (Read 719 times)
noahie
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


Writer
⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2025!
« on: Winter, 04 Feb 2026 @901 » Embed


Hi all,

If you don't have version control for your site with git, get it going as soon as you possibly can.

I had an issue where I lost one of my template files that I use for my static site generator (zola) and I had no way of recovering it. So please, wherever you have your site, make sure you implement version control with git and don't fly too close to the sun like I did.

There are a few good ways to do this:

1. Use Github/Codeberg or some other site where you can host your files.

2. Install git through your operating system's package manager, go to the directory where your site lives, and put in these commands:

Code
git init
git add .
git commit -m "commit message"


Ideally, you can do both of these. If you have a home server, keeping synced backups there too is a good idea. 

Logged

"Your worst sin is that you betrayed and destroyed yourself for nothing"
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Winter, 05 Feb 2026 @429 » Toggle Font Embed

If you find the command-line intimidating: there are graphical git clients!

If you don't: there are some nice terminal ones too! I'm a big fan of lazygit, I use it every single day and it brings me joy every time. Here's what it looks like:


https://github.com/jesseduffield/lazygit/blob/assets/demo/commit_and_push-compressed.gif?raw=true

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe