Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 16, 2024 - @816.37 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: How to keep the footer down?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: How to keep the footer down?  (Read 863 times)
bythemeadow
Casual Poster ⚓︎

she/faer

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: September 05, 2022 @16.89 »

so if i have my footer and my mainpage set as position:static; then it renders in order, showing the footer at the very bottom with a slight margin. easy. my problem is that the mainpage element has to have position:absolute; or else the nav buttons i built aren't selectable (they are placed underneath the main div and stick out from the side, like a bookmark.) i'm not sure why this is but it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't affect the footer. the mainpage either covers the footer or it renders halfway up the page. how do i fix this?

puhuhuhuhu
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022 @497.45 »

Its a little hard to figure out exactly what your issue is, BUT a thread light this might be helpful?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44258085/css-how-to-attach-footer-to-the-bottom-of-the-page

When you set something as position absolute, it no longer takes up space on the page so the footer will no longer move down to avoid it. So you need to make something take up that space.

You could make an invisible div that is full height, then set pointer events none on it https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/pointer-events
You could also try playing with the z-index to make it behind everything else https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/z-index

Those might also be helpful for figuring out your navbar or footer issues ^^

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
bythemeadow
Casual Poster ⚓︎

she/faer

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022 @828.46 »

oh this is perfect, thank you! i didn't know that about position:absolute, good to know :]

puhuhuhuhu
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022 @859.81 »

In general, it's better if you can find a way around using absolute positioning to begin with. I know all too well the temptation to use "position: absolute" because it's the easiest way to put something exactly where you want it, but using a grid or flex box is usually the better option because it'll naturally work with the rest of your layout.

Alternatively, you could use "position: fixed" on the footer so that it is always floating on the bottom of the screen, but without seeing your design it's hard to say if that would work for you.
bythemeadow
Casual Poster ⚓︎

she/faer

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022 @863.85 »

In general, it's better if you can find a way around using absolute positioning to begin with. I know all too well the temptation to use "position: absolute" because it's the easiest way to put something exactly where you want it, but using a grid or flex box is usually the better option because it'll naturally work with the rest of your layout.

Alternatively, you could use "position: fixed" on the footer so that it is always floating on the bottom of the screen, but without seeing your design it's hard to say if that would work for you.

i've heard this a couple times, i'll look into it :ozwomp:

puhuhuhuhu
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4936
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
Is there an easier way of updating footers?

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1302
Last post January 07, 2022 @56.67
by Melooon
MelonLand Vivaldi Theme ♡

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 6
Views: 1598
Last post March 05, 2023 @376.64
by doubleincision

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi