Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @46.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 60/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Unpopular games that you love, and vice versa

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Unpopular games that you love, and vice versa  (Read 3868 times)
Version
Casual Poster

Ver. Narrative game and mystery media lover.

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2022 @498.33 »

Okay your GTA take I have to disagree with. :eyes:

GTAO eventually became its own mess of terrible people, but this time they were actual people who exist in the real world and seem to be motivated solely by ruining your enjoyment of the game. I can't help but think Rockstar's story and character writing influenced the way these people play the online mode, feeling the game justifies their griefing because the characters in the story mode are also a-holes.

As a result, it's practically impossible for a new player to get into the game now. It's not just pay-to-win, because even if you use real money to buy the same equipment that the griefers use in order to stand a chance against them, you can't level up enough to be allowed to actually use it. When I tried to get back into it with a new character a few years ago, I couldn't even complete the first night club mission without someone in a flying car chasing me around and preventing me from completing a single task.

Oh my god I remember playing GTAO and it was horrible. The fun parts of the game (The heists and missions and stuff) are locked behind the purchase of very expensive buildings. But to get money you have to grind for HOURS. When you want to sell the product you grinded the entire fucking server gets alerted to your delivery and griefers with overpowered flying bikes/cars that shoot missiles at you can just destroy hours of your work instantly. The game actively encourages griefing. The only way I found to play the game was to use a trick on xbox where you could get your own private lobby.
But even then the game was such a grindfest that I stopped after the first two heists.

I guess this enters in the popular game that I hate category lol.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022 @500.66 by Version » Logged
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2022 @549.85 »

I always wanted to write a blog article about how GTA Online was obviously meant to be a completely different (and really awesome) game before it launched, but bad decisions turned it into the mess it is today.

I believe that originally it was supposed to have much more of an emphasis on building a criminal empire, role-playing, and making both low life and high life characters viable and fun in their own way, but the cash shop, free things you got with every DLC, and constant power creep ruined it. Originally you had a story line, and contact missions, and it was very much aimed at asymmetric multiplayer -- some people were supposed to be high-risk-high-reward, and others would do the ground action.

Just rewatch the original trailers and you can clearly see that they wanted you to be able to show off in front of people without getting shot. They wanted you to build a crew which was more than just a glorified friendship request, but an actual gang with its emblem and rank system. Killing a high level player would make you a mark on their allies' heads, stuff like that. Originally, weapons were rank locked, so going against a high level crew of three people would be a death sentence even if you had like three low level people on your side, since all you could afford were old cars and simple pistols. But the free DLC weapons always stacked so the rank system was completely meaningless. There was so much potential but they squandered it at key points until it was already locked in as a griefers' mayhem open world.
Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2022 @910.75 »

I'm really happy that FiveM exists-- there's a lot of cool servers that turn GTAO into the kind of "life sim" online roleplay experience that's way more appealing to me. I tried vanilla GTAO myself, and yeah, I got disinterested pretty quickly.

As for unpopular games I like, here's a Final Fantasy game nobody's heard of!

Mobius Final Fantasy was a PC/Mobile gacha that came and went. I played it for 2 years, and I think the servers were up for 4. I hate gachas, and pretty much totally ignore games in the mobile space. But man, Mobius had some brilliant turn-based combat, and it still shocks me to this day that Square wasted such fresh ideas on a mobile game. Now that Mobius is dead and buried, I don't want the game back, but I want that extremely engaging combat back, and I'm hoping someone makes an indie game some day that just steals all its ideas. Hell, the game mechanics and formulas were totally datamined, so you could make a 1:1 recreation if you really wanted to.

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022 @12.29 »

I went negative last time, so here are a few unpopular games that I like, all of which are from the Wii.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - It's not the remake of the original Silent Hill that fans wanted, but I think it does what it sets out to do very well. It's a reimagining of the original story, and the focus is on the game adapting to how you play it. The way different scenes can play out based on what the game has been tracking about your behaviour is really cool. It also looks really good for a Wii game. The lighting engine is beautiful. My only complaint is that, since enemies only appear in the dark world, there's no sense of danger when you're in the light world. And on top of that, since there is no combat, every enemy encounter becomes a chase sequence which just isn't very fun.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - The Crystal Bearers - This is actually the only Final Fantasy game I have ever completed. I really like the world and characters of this series, and I prefer the action-oriented gameplay even if the motion controls are a little bit cumbersome.

GoldenEye 007 - No, not the N64 game. The Wii was an awesome console for shooters when they were done right, and in my opinion this is the best one on the system. I think a lot of people disliked it because they were expecting it to be more of a remake of the N64 game instead of its own thing, but I was never a fan of the original game to begin with. If anything, I think the game on Wii was more like Call of Duty. Both are made by Activision, so it makes sense. I don't normally like CoD, but GoldenEye's online multiplayer was the best online game the Wii ever had.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2022 @20.00 by MamboGator » Logged
Swiftpaw

it/its

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2022 @917.96 »

Ghost Trick is something I played recently but is now one of my favorite games but seems to be relatively unknown. It takes advantage of the DS mechanics really well, most of the puzzles felt good to solve, there's great characters, and the story is solid. It was made by the same creators of Ace Attorney but in my opinion is much better. After I finished I immediately went back to check out all the details I missed, the foreshadowing and how the mystery comes together is really incredible.

rugar
Casual Poster

vulf born from a digi-egg . . . !

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022 @367.89 »

Ghost Trick is something I played recently but is now one of my favorite games but seems to be relatively unknown. It takes advantage of the DS mechanics really well, most of the puzzles felt good to solve, there's great characters, and the story is solid. It was made by the same creators of Ace Attorney but in my opinion is much better. After I finished I immediately went back to check out all the details I missed, the foreshadowing and how the mystery comes together is really incredible.

GHOST TRICK IS SO GOOD !! the game mechanics and the story are literally woven together so perfectly but the story by itself is already so good even if it was just in visual novel format!!!!! (also is swiftpaw a WC ref)

i played NieR / NieR Automata recently and !! do not get the hype :< also it felt insanely sexist from the character designs to the writing it was just. not a great time

i was surfing the net and i wiped out . . . !
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022 @398.91 »

i played NieR / NieR Automata recently and !! do not get the hype :< also it felt insanely sexist from the character designs to the writing it was just. not a great time

The appeal is that it's a Souls-like with bullet hell mechanics, plus a super intriguing story and aesthetic. Fans of the genre will get a lot of mileage out of the game.
rugar
Casual Poster

vulf born from a digi-egg . . . !

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022 @622.07 »

The appeal is that it's a Souls-like with bullet hell mechanics, plus a super intriguing story and aesthetic. Fans of the genre will get a lot of mileage out of the game.

I LOOOOOOVE ds1 and Bloodborne but NieR felt super simple in comparison. . even to other platinum games like metal gear rising it felt super shallow in combat . the aesthetics are really really cool and I love the music and b/w colour scheme tho ! the story also didn't suuuper blow me away like it did to most of the fanbase

i was surfing the net and i wiped out . . . !
Version
Casual Poster

Ver. Narrative game and mystery media lover.

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022 @564.65 »

GHOST TRICK IS SO GOOD !! the game mechanics and the story are literally woven together so perfectly but the story by itself is already so good even if it was just in visual novel format!!!!! (also is swiftpaw a WC ref)

Ghost trick is one of the most underrated games of all time. Even in visual novel circles it's kinda unknown. People only ever seem to find out about it because it was made by Shu Takumi.
I really wish we got a sequel to it one day... Like, in the vein of a spiritual successor.
worldwidewar
Casual Poster ⚓︎

🖕💩 👽👎💩🖕 👽💯➡️💩

iMood: worldwidewar

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2022 @798.97 »

The DS versions of the CoD games, and even Metroid Prime Hunters to a lesser extent, get too bad of a rap now. I always thought that the main selling point to those games was the Download Play, but anyone I see playing them now focuses on the singleplayer experience instead. Multiplayer on the DS is such a weird thing to do now unless you know somebody else with a DS who happens to have the same games as you, or if you're willing to possibly reconfigure your router just to get a homebrew version of DS WiFi working.

\   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||--WWW |
                ||     ||
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022 @851.44 »

The DS versions of the CoD games, and even Metroid Prime Hunters to a lesser extent, get too bad of a rap now. I always thought that the main selling point to those games was the Download Play, but anyone I see playing them now focuses on the singleplayer experience instead. Multiplayer on the DS is such a weird thing to do now unless you know somebody else with a DS who happens to have the same games as you, or if you're willing to possibly reconfigure your router just to get a homebrew version of DS WiFi working.

I really enjoyed Metroid Prime Hunters. The touchscreen controls worked really well for first-person shooters, and I'm always nostalgic for those chunky, PS1-like graphics.
pleb-hates-the-modern-web
Casual Poster

is this thing on?

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2022 @956.03 »

idk how controversial this is, but i'm not liking the resident evil remakes. they removed a lot of the clunkiness/actively hostile features that make the experience fun to me, and focused a lot more on action than horror; it just doesn't feel the same when i can, for example, sprint through the entire map without having to take the pauses the door animations mandate, and moreover i think that the pauses in pace it creates are necessary to immerse oneself in the horror, not to mention the beautiful (terrifying) moments when the "rules" of that are broken (i.e. zombies coming through the door at you, enemies breaking doors to get to you). the new games just feel so fast and... punchy (i guess?), but they don't make me afraid like the originals did.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2022 @61.85 »

idk how controversial this is, but i'm not liking the resident evil remakes. they removed a lot of the clunkiness/actively hostile features that make the experience fun to me, and focused a lot more on action than horror; it just doesn't feel the same when i can, for example, sprint through the entire map without having to take the pauses the door animations mandate, and moreover i think that the pauses in pace it creates are necessary to immerse oneself in the horror, not to mention the beautiful (terrifying) moments when the "rules" of that are broken (i.e. zombies coming through the door at you, enemies breaking doors to get to you). the new games just feel so fast and... punchy (i guess?), but they don't make me afraid like the originals did.

I like the RE2 and 3 remakes well enough, but I do wish they were more like the RE1 remake. My general feeling of remakes is that, when done well, they make the original obsolete. That's exactly what the RE1 remake did, but the RE2 and 3 remakes are just too different to truly take the place of the originals. They're basically entirely new games with the same general story. If you want to play the original Resident Evil 2 but with modern graphics and polish, you still can't despite the remake being right there. You get a very different experience from each.
pleb-hates-the-modern-web
Casual Poster

is this thing on?

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022 @906.12 »

I like the RE2 and 3 remakes well enough, but I do wish they were more like the RE1 remake. My general feeling of remakes is that, when done well, they make the original obsolete. That's exactly what the RE1 remake did, but the RE2 and 3 remakes are just too different to truly take the place of the originals. They're basically entirely new games with the same general story. If you want to play the original Resident Evil 2 but with modern graphics and polish, you still can't despite the remake being right there. You get a very different experience from each.

exactly! and i do love the re1 remake, sorry i didn't make that clear lol. and i wonder if re2 and 3 will get fan remakes like re1 has? that would give me some hope for a good reinvigoration of those titles.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2022 @925.97 »

exactly! and i do love the re1 remake, sorry i didn't make that clear lol. and i wonder if re2 and 3 will get fan remakes like re1 has? that would give me some hope for a good reinvigoration of those titles.

I read a while ago about a mode for the RE2 remake that used fixed camera angles. Actually, I think there was an official game mode that Capcom scrapped before release and a fan mod as well. That would have been great to see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4062
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1158
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1510
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi