Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 10 Oct 2026 - @869.43
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: inconvenience is counterculture :eyes: Guild Events: Weekly zine jam 16: Games
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ☑︎ ∙ Software & Data
| | |-+  Saving 2 old youtube videos from destruction


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Saving 2 old youtube videos from destruction  (Read 569 times)
Rubbereon
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
OS: Linux 🐧

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
NoSmoking!Hope, the silliest ink kittayyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« on: Summer, 14 Jul 2026 @540 » Embed

↓Context↓


The videos from Alex's channel (before it became HL Mario) are now on Preservetube.
https://preservetube.com/watch?v=8JBoPG_TltE
https://preservetube.com/watch?v=LFKl-GPFJKo

If you have a youtube channel, try to make sure it doesn't get hacked and resold somewhere on the dark net.

I know archive.org can save youtube videos too, I just don't know how, so I figured making a post to raise awareness to this problem could help get that done.

Logged

https://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20695.gifFuzzy fwiendhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20696.gifhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20697.gif
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gifLinux userhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gif
↓ All my web profiles are available on this website ↓
https://fursona.directory/@rubbereon :goL:
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/tabs.gifhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/idiotsticker.pnghttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/iblockads.gif

Artifact Swap: Green SpiffoJust CheeseCourage smiley
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 14 Jul 2026 @547 » Toggle Font Embed

Quote
I just don't know how

yt-dlp is your friend. Download it here or use your favourite package manager.

You just type:


Code
yt-dlp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=........

And you have a copy of the video. Simples! (All the YouTube channels I subscribe to I watch, this way! I have an RSS reader that detects new videos, then yt-dlp downloads them for me onto my NAS and they appear in Jellyfin for me to watch at my leisure, even if the original gets deleted.)

Also works for videos on Nebula, Instagram, Vimeo, etc. etc.... basically everywhere.

tl;dr: yt-dlp is your friend.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Rubbereon
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
OS: Linux 🐧

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
NoSmoking!Hope, the silliest ink kittayyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 14 Jul 2026 @622 » Embed

yt-dlp is your friend. Download it here or use your favourite package manager.

You just type:


Code
yt-dlp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=........

And you have a copy of the video. Simples! (All the YouTube channels I subscribe to I watch, this way! I have an RSS reader that detects new videos, then yt-dlp downloads them for me onto my NAS and they appear in Jellyfin for me to watch at my leisure, even if the original gets deleted.)

Also works for videos on Nebula, Instagram, Vimeo, etc. etc.... basically everywhere.

tl;dr: yt-dlp is your friend.


I mean on archive.org, how does anybody even post youtube videos there? I thought it was something to do with youtube links on the wayback machine.

Logged

https://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20695.gifFuzzy fwiendhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20696.gifhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20697.gif
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gifLinux userhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gif
↓ All my web profiles are available on this website ↓
https://fursona.directory/@rubbereon :goL:
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/tabs.gifhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/idiotsticker.pnghttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/iblockads.gif

Artifact Swap: Green SpiffoJust CheeseCourage smiley
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 14 Jul 2026 @634 » Toggle Font Embed

Oh. I mean: you can upload whatever you like to archive.org.

E.g. I figured that the video version of Musical Transients was culturally important and significant, so I ripped it from YouTube (using yt-dlp, of course) and then I uploaded it to archive.org.

There might be a smarter process, but this was the right one for this job, I think.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe