Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @522.57 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Should it really be called the Retro Web?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Should it really be called the Retro Web?  (Read 1047 times)
memo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: September 28, 2022 @528.19 »

Hello melonland users!
I've been wondering about this for some days and I think it could make for an interesting topic.

As mentioned in the title - should it really be called the Retro Web? What I mean by this is: isn't the word "Retro" a bit too limited for what such communities explore?
I get it, many of us (me included) started this journey by simply mimicking the old web by having very light static html pages, in heavy contrast with the more bloated web; still many of us however then grew to appreciate so many more aspects: the communities that give birth, the privacy/ecological/social awareness, the amazing creative possibilities that one gains as soon as they leave the all-so-limiting modern social networks.

Hell, I know, neocities itself is one letter away from geocities; but this isn't simply booting up an old C64 and playing some games on tape: there's a constant evolution of ideas, currents, movements. Even the mimicked html pages already have a very distinct feel than what one would encounter fifteen to twenty years ago.

The more I think about it and the more I believe we're not simply "picking up the pieces" of what has been left - we're creating something new, with far more specific ideals and a deep love for handcrafted digital environments.

What do you think?
manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022 @636.81 »

When I first dound this corner of the web I had the same thoughts.

I think the term coined by Sadgirl, that being the Yesterweb works best.

While the term "yester" definitively implies "old", I think it has a less stric definition than "old" and "retro" - as both of those things implies things that existed in a specific timeframe.

For example, when you takes the term "retro gaming", I think most people think about games that were made in the past rather than say an indie game that attempts to replicate an older style of game.

Another pssible alternative for the term Yesterweb would be the Oldschool Web. The term "oldschool" implies something that imitate old traditions - which is exactly what we are doing.

That being said, I perfer the term Yesterweb since it's easier to say IMO.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022 @810.66 »

I actually think retro web is a somewhat misleading name and I dont personally use it (although it is descriptive and I can see why people would use it, it gets right to the point very fast); I stick with "Web Revival" because I reeaaalllyyy feel the need to stress that the past is not whats important, its about the future of the web not the past. I also sometimes use "Net Art" as a catch all term particularly for people who are not familiar with these sites. For the same reason Neocities is a great name because neo means new, so its new cities of the web.

Of course thats always in conflict with the fact that so many of us love retro aesthetics, hardware and trends; and often retro stuff is the gateway drug into finding your way into the web revival; but I think almost everyone experiences that moment when you realise "aha this is not just about being retro, its about something larger and far more relevant to today". The retro stuff is just a tool to escape our paradigm and see things differently. So maybe retro web is an ok name, since it pulls people into that narrative.

Of course this "what to call these sites" debate has been raging for years and it will continue to range on; but let it rage! :grin:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
memo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022 @989.17 »

I very much agree with both! In the end I like to use terms such as small web, indie web because they include minimal but modern-looking websites too, and the gemini protocol I feel like.

Web Revival sounds great too! And indeed, I almost forgot about the fact that neocities does aim to the future with its name. Why, we could even take direct inspiration and coin the term neoweb since we're at it.

I have to say I have my doubts about the yesterweb as a name, but as you mentioned it's a word that is much less limiting and more open to interpretation so it doesn't bother me.
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022 @330.64 »

I have a tendency to lean towards the term "indie web" too, as it implies freedom for the individual, and usually less of the manipulations that are present on larger platforms by design.

This allows, not only for more artistic expression, but also provides an opportunity for open communication and voluntary collaboration on a deeply meaningful level as information is less filtered or driven by "popularity". We are here, not because we are forced to, but because we choose to be.

I was speaking with a dear friend of mine not too long ago about how important the real "homegrown, grassroots" quality of the "small web" is. To quote part of our conversation...

There was all sorts of important research about local communities and obscure subjects on Geocities that could have important research potential for the healing of human beings and the environment if only more people were aware of it.

I can share a lot of different examples of that, but my main point is this:

Even though I love "retro" aesthetics, it feels like so much more than simply a feeling of nostalgia is drawing people in towards the "indie web". Perhaps it is a desire for mental-emotional calm and a sense of genuine connection that isn't present elsewhere? The Internet is just the medium.

...Really interesting topic. Thanks everyone for your input! :unite:
manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022 @651.74 »

Perhaps it is a desire for mental-emotional calm and a sense of genuine connection that isn't present elsewhere? The Internet is just the medium.

That's definitively the case, at least for me personally. People feel much more "real" on this corner of the web.

When I first discovered the Yesterweb, I was filled with a feeling of wonder. The thing has so much soul compared to the "normal" internet.

Joker
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022 @64.93 »

I agree. I have been on the internet since 1999, and it was a lot different back then because computers were a lot different back then. If you were on dialup, you didn't want a lot of gifs or pictures loading. Pictures could take several minutes to load, and that is on a good day, and if you had a decent modem. There were some similarities to what Neocities was, specifically if you were on Geocities, but overall it has been more of a rebellion against centralization. My personal site I don't even host on Neocities because I prefer to self-host.

Problem is, decentralization has been co-opted by crypto-bros so it has a bad connotation to it. Unsure of what else to call it besides retro web since it is about taking that aesthetic and pushing it to the modern web.

https://Whoisthisjoker.com
thisjokerwhoishe@protonmail.com

manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022 @642.73 »

I have a tendency to lean towards the term "indie web" too, as it implies freedom for the individual, and usually less of the manipulations that are present on larger platforms by design.

I agree that indie game can be really good term. This whole web revival thing share many similarities with indie games.

Furthermore it directly communicates the nature os this movement as the term independant implies that the subject is not dependant of something (in this case big websites).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5401
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 13080
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4959
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi