This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @242.30
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  personal traditions/celebrations/holidays?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: personal traditions/celebrations/holidays?  (Read 117 times)
aurelie
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


aurelie freaking awesome
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: aurelie_awesome

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
little alienalien yappin kittayRoss AlienJoined 2026!
« on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @511 » Embed

hi there melonland forums!!

recently i've been thinking about traditions and holidays and stuff, i think they're neat and awesome, though because of my own opinions, i just dont really like the origins or the reasons they're traditionally celebrated. or they're just not that important to me in that aspect. i'm not a religious or really spiritual person (kinda grew up christian though), and the family i still got are pretty relaxed about it all, though out of like tradition i guess, we still like to celebrate the typical stuff like christmas or easter, though it's very much more about just. meeting and celebrating and stuff and not real dogma or belief or whatever.

that being said, i've been thinking about just starting my own traditions and such for me, friends and family, centered more about just mutual aid, warmth and connection rather than spirituality and stuff. made up stuff, just for the reason i actually enjoy holidays: an excuse for spending time with people i love, but also it having a nice thought behind it that can just be universal. i was thinking of like anchoring them around solstices and equinoxes cause its just a thing that happens in regular intervals and could have some sort of meaning. also i am a sucker for symbolism and all that, and think it would be cool to have little rituals tied to them, maybe just lighting candles to represent warmth or something. maybe gift giving as well. i dunno! just think its neat ideas :)

wanted to also ask, does anyone here engage with this sorta stuff? any personal traditions/holidays n such? ideas? :D

i also have no idea if there's a term or word for this sorta stuff :p

also just to add. i don't mind religious worship, long standing traditions and whatever!! you do what you wanna, i just dont really vibe with it! :ozwomp:

Logged
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @556 » Toggle Font Embed

Like many folks here in the UK, we have a pretty secular celebration of culturally-Christian festivals: e.g. we give gifts and eat too much on Christmas Day, as people have... well, to celebrate the midwinter since long before Christmas. We have an Easter Egg hunt on Easter. Etc.

But we've got a few of our own too.

We celebrate Family Day each year; a holiday we made up to celebrate the fact that we get to be a family. We started with it after winning a legal battle against a social worker who'd taken a bigoted view on the unconventional relationships between the adults in our family shared and seemed to take a personal interest in trying to ensure that we lost custody of our kids (it was a rough year!). So nowadays, every year we celebrate with a family outing, and gifts for the children, and generally loving that we get to all continue to be together.

On New Year's Eve we have a tradition of doing a book exchange. We stole this from some country where apparently it's commonplace, but I forget which one! Anyway: in our case everybody at our house gives a book to everybody else at our house: it can be new or pre-loved, whichever. And then we sit up late by candlelight and read our new books together. It's incredibly wholesome.

Valentines Day never really suited us - again, it's not terribly well-geared to folks in our kind of configuration - but we've sorta repurposed it into a general celebration of love. We stay in and drink. Not least because getting a table for three on Valentines Day is a pain in the arse.

Some years I move my birthday by six months so I can have it in the summer instead of the winter. No biggie.

And then there's the wackier things. Every year on 25 October I eat a crisp sandwich, and sometimes blog about it. Every year on 25 May I make sure I know where my towel is, which has resulted in my being seen cycling around Oxford with one worn as a scarf, or turning up to a meeting with clients with one around my shoulders.

I'm sure there's more, but that's about it from me/us.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Noah_S
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Noah. Earth. I make website. I.. I.. Noah. Earth.
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Noah_S
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
funguyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!I met Dan Q on Melonland!A coin!Enby
« Reply #2 on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @652 » Toggle Font Embed

August 23 is eat your favorite pastry day for me.

Logged

perfectionist_better.gifweb_designer.gifspeed_of_time.gifbutton290.pngmy_dream_wedding.gifClippy beats AI

Artifact Swap: Large watercraftGrowing ballwhen life gives you crab make mailMelonland has encountered a bugMerry ChristmasfwoggieMessage Buddylaptop
Nael
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Joined 2025!
« Reply #3 on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @884 » Embed

For me and my loved ones religious holidays are just an excuse to get together, the religious meaning of it all is entirely ignored. I really like the idea of the personal traditions tho, and now I really wish I had some! There is a religious holiday here where you are supposed to only eat fish instead of any other meat but a lot of people I know take this opportunity to do an actual barbecue with everything but fish, it's their way of celebrating and getting together but giving a middle finger to the religious part of it ahahh :D

Logged

https://i.postimg.cc/HxvkgZxN/quilsu2.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Enter Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe