Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @164.18
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 836.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: It's only life! :dog: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  Need Help! Can't change OS!


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Need Help! Can't change OS!  (Read 69 times)
DD_OneZero
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


Faust
⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @749 » Embed

I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to this sort of thing and Google doesn't have any answers, so I'm going to try here  :tongue:

A couple years ago I got a laptop for Christmas, and then I changed the OS sometime after that (over a year if I remember correctly.) I don't remember when but a while ago I changed to Endevour which I adore for its flexibility compared to Mint!

Mini Mint Tangent:
Spoiler
I really liked Mint for a while but it always felt too restrictive. There was a lot of things I couldn't do or run and it was Very frustrating. If you've ever tried to get a custom cursor you may have gone through what I did!
[close]

Anyways I learnt recently about CashyOS which I've been eager to try. However, I found out that there is now an "administrator" block in my boot menu? It was most likely a setting I had set for Endevour but I cannot remember the password and I'm worried I'll have to change my hard drive or something! I've used old passwords and current passwords. Does anybody know how to bypass this or am I out of luck?  :notgood:

If it helps, my laptop is one of those HP laptops at Walmart, it was around $400 and said it could be used for regular work and gaming.

Logged

Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @760 » Toggle Font Embed

It sounds like you're talking about something like a BIOS password (or UEFI equivalent). Everything else I've written assumes this guess is correct, but you might like to take a video or photo of what you're seeing and when to help make sure!

You're probably not bricked. But you might have to force it to reset itself, which in turn might then require (or, at least, be easiest if you do) that you install a new operating system (which is okay if that's what you're planning anyway). Sometimes there's a jumper switch or button on the motherboard to clear the BIOS, which clears the password. My desktop PC has one on the back that looks like this:


https://www.technewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/clear-cmos-button-in-gigabyte-motherboard-300x162.jpg

If it's on a motherboard, inside the case, it'll probably be either a tiny button, OR a "jumper" (two pins you need to bridge), OR in the worst case a "coin"-shaped battery you need to remove, leave out for a few minutes, and then put back in.. A manual for the motherboard itself - usually available from the motherboard manufacturer's website - will confirm.

If it's UEFI, it could conceivably be something added by your existing operating system. But it'll still be clearable by wiping the flash memory.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe