Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @326.38
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 674.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Communities & Online Life
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  What do you think will happen if forums become mainstream again?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: What do you think will happen if forums become mainstream again?  (Read 42 times)
Skyweaver
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2025!
« on: Today at @162 » Embed

Many people, myself included are enamored with the idea of the humble web forum making a revival. But if it were to become popular, perhaps to the point of it hitting the mainstream, here's what I think would happen.

First, the bad ending.



For those who are fans of Technology Connections, this video may be familiar to you. But if not, the gist is that ceiling fans have had a surprising history. They were around before electricity, driven by water wheels or steam. In the late 19th century they were electrified and by the early 20th century they were very popular in public spaces. By the mid century they fell out of favor due to cheap AC. Then the 70s energy crisis brought them back due to both necessity and nostalgia. However the nostalgia and aesthetics aspect led to ceiling fans being cheapened out to the point of them barely functioning, causing a second decline which we see today.

You may be thinking how this relates to forums. I personally see many parallels: Forums were around BEFORE the WWW we know today, and were a very popular way to communicate online from the 90s till the 2010s. Then they shrank in popularity due to social media. Now forums are having somewhat of a nostalgic revival due to enshittification of social media. Heck, Daniele63, owner of the Frutiger Aero forums, reminds me of Burton Burton, founder of a ceiling fan company. Both are obsessed with nostalgic aesthetics and items; the former with Frutiger Aero design and 2000s media, the latter with early 20th century mechanical novelties and antiques. (I think Melon also falls into a similar thing but TBH I know daniele more, sorry melon :eyes:) What I'm afraid is that along the way large companies may start making their own "forum" sites and repeat the same steps they did with social media. Or there may be an "eternal september" situation.

A better ending is that since people can make a forum and run it how they please, this may result in an increase of all sorts of forums, good, bad and ugly. But perhaps that diversity is the point: Anyone can choose a forum that suits their needs and if it gets bad, they can leave without fear of leaving other communities behind, since it's just ONE community they leave. Unlike ceiling fans, it's almost always free to join a forum, though making a free forum is iffy. I think the web revival at large really needs a good free forum hoster, but I digress. This other ending is more akin to the vinyl revival IMO: nowadays there's a whole world of record players: good, bad and ugly.

« Last Edit: Today at @292 by Skyweaver » Logged

Aero and Skeuo Graphic Designer
Skyweaver's website!!

https://skyweaver.nekoweb.org/storage/jamie.png
https://skyweaver.nekoweb.org/storage/faa-forum.png
https://skyweaver.nekoweb.org/storage/miku.png
https://skyweaver.nekoweb.org/storage/scp.png
https://skyweaver.nekoweb.org/storage/aimp.png
sproutknip
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


Virtual Moss
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Princess KuromiSurfs Up!Joined 2026!
« Reply #1 on: Today at @290 » Toggle Font Embed

Wow I love that I learned something about ceiling fans here! Wasn’t expecting that!

I’m optimistic that your “bad end” scenario won’t happen, though. The modern internet is so “forward” thinking and tunnel-visioned onto what it does, I can’t imagine these big companies investing into forum culture again.

That said, I am hopeful that forums such as this one will continue to flourish on the Wild Web! There is such an appeal to these truly human online spaces, and I think more and more people will stumble into them having seen them mentioned on social media, etc.

Perhaps we’ll be lucky to see even more robust forums like this sprouting up. I sure hope so! I love to see how each cultivates their own sense of culture!

Logged

https://sproutknip.neocities.org/images/sootsprites.gifhttps://sproutknip.neocities.org/images/sproutknipbutton.gifhttps://sproutknip.neocities.org/images/sootsprites.gif

Artifact Swap: Moonlight MopedLike MailMetabee3 coinsSanrio
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe