Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 10 Oct 2026 - @587.30
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: It's only life! :dog: Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  I think my friend has intellectual disability. Should I tell him?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: I think my friend has intellectual disability. Should I tell him?  (Read 75 times)
poesu
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


So many links, so little time
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
THE tieTriple HornsDevil HornsDevil Cursor TailStripey ScarfFrom Tuffy with ❤️
« on: Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 @648 » Toggle Font Embed

I don't think I should broadcast his symptoms willy-nilly, they are not the point of the thread. I'm asking an ethical(?) question.

When I suspected he is autistic, I told them without much hesitation. But given my pal's insecurities about his intellect and maturity, I'm afraid to approach the topic of additional and even more stigmatised disability.

He says he feels stupid and infantile all the time. What made me feel especially concerned and start this thread is what he perceives a job like a school where every wrong move of his will be punished instead of a two-way relationship with responsibilities on both sides. He says he's easily manipulated and bossed around. He's very, very self-aware of his vulnerabilities and feels like an easy target for exploitation because of his supposed "stupidity," social ineptitude, and poor memory among other things.

I want to help him give a name to his struggles and feelings and find support. This was the most important thing I got when I was seeking diagnosis of autism for myself. He immensely struggles with jobs and adult life in general. I'm not hopeful about our medical system too much, but maybe he'll be able to get disability benefits. They're not much, but it'd be a tremendous support for him while he builds his audience as an artist.

The cherry on top is that the term "intellectual disability" is known to a handful of people in my language. I'd probably have to use the r-slur to make it clear how our society understands the issue :drat: I know I should be honest about it. While I'll absolutely tell him that the term is wrong and outdated, it'd still be a blow I imagine.

I'm really afraid of putting salt on an open wound like this. He'd still have to come to his own conclusions of course, but what should I do? And if tell him, how exactly?

Logged

https://poesu.neocities.org/images/my_button.pnghttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/no_squircle.webphttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/accessibility.webp

Artifact Swap: SquirrelThis artifact is invisibleAda the ButterflyWhite-Winged Scoter<html>I met Dan Q on Melonland!Icecream sundaeender pearl yappin kittayDripping inkyshroomoupyShang Mu AcademyfunguyPhone's Ringing!Pastel eyebatAmerican CrowLarge watercraftKitty KittyLollipopPink camera flashEyeSeeYou
arcus
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 @807 » Toggle Font Embed

"Have you seen someone about [symptoms]? You might be able to get help with all that."

I'm not hopeful about our medical system too much, but maybe he'll be able to get disability benefits. They're not much, but it'd be a tremendous support for him while he builds his audience as an artist.

It depends where he lives. Disability benefits can be incredibly hard to obtain, and they come with some major conditions. Some schemes have income limits making it impossible to save up. He will likely need someone to help advocate for him.

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe