Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @525.01 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Y2K & Gen-X Corporate Aesthetic (and other retro aesthetics)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Y2K & Gen-X Corporate Aesthetic (and other retro aesthetics)  (Read 864 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: October 18, 2022 @77.69 »

I've been really obsessing over 2 aesthetics from back in the day that I remember seeing back when I was a child.

The first is what's called Gen-X corporate, which is mostly how corporations and businesses presented themselves back in the late 90s and very early 2000s.

The other is the Y2K Aesthetic, which is a wee bit later, and was used for computer graphics, music and clothing.

Both of these aesthetics give me a sense of wonder and excitement, and to me, actually feels more modern and futuristic than the aesthetics most people use today.

Come to think of it, they're almost opposite of modern aesthetics. Modern aesthetic are typically very flat, and uses few colours, but Gen-X corporate uses colours galore, and Y2K feels like it really jumps out on you.

What do you guys think of these? Are there any retro aesthetics you guys love?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022 @378.67 »

Hey cobra yeah I love the character of Gen X 90s corporate sleaze. I saw a yt vid which showed an original ad for microsoft excel, reckon you'd like it but I also love looking back on 'revolutionary' tech :cool:

Janus
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022 @487.13 »

This strikes me as a long-hangover of 80's maximalism - it's easy to forget in hindsight that the stripped-down 90's grunge aesthetic was met with quite a bit of resistance before conquering the mainstream. I'm not super-keen on this specific style, but I do have a strong preference for well-curated maximalism as opposed to the sterile minimalist style exemplified by the Apple Store.

[siggy under construction]
ArtisTheFox
Casual Poster

Hi! I'm Artis, a dark soul with a kind heart

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022 @969.27 »

These are both so awesome. I've loved Y2K for a long time, but the specific Gen X Corporate style is now a new favourite on my list of favourites :smile:

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023 @935.58 »

I love the Y2K aesthetics as it's much more brighter (figuratively and literally) than other predictions for the near future of the world. To me it's cyberpunk's optimistic and more utopian cousin. There was so much optimism and playfulness in it and the designs for them had more personality. I wish it could be brought back in some way because the current aesthetics being used for many sites today make them all look the same.
soop
Casual Poster ⚓︎

mmmm... soup

iMood: soop

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Soul SoupJoined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023 @396.23 »

I really love are.na for their aesthetic catalog! Of those two, I prefer Gen-X Corporate, it feels super nostalgic and reminds me a lot of Epcot and Innoventions within it that I went to a lot as a kid!

They recently tore this down to make a Starbucks in Epcot  :notgood: Genuinely one of the saddest things to me...

And one of my favorite aesthetics Evan Collins cataloged on are.na is Global Village Coffeehouse... another super nostalgic style

Jari says: Check out Soop's Hermitage!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a webring: Retroweb Ring

Started by BradEBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 1345
Last post June 27, 2022 @743.02
by BradE
Retro Web vs. Anti-Bloat/Minimal Web

Started by GuestBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 19
Views: 3466
Last post September 24, 2022 @867.45
by Absentmind
Ways our Retro Web differs from the original Old Web

Started by GuestBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 6
Views: 1134
Last post January 09, 2024 @773.09
by xero333

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi