Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @267.23 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Livestreaming platforms (e.g as an alternative to twitch)?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Livestreaming platforms (e.g as an alternative to twitch)?  (Read 784 times)
angel-val
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« on: January 08, 2023 @519.10 »

Does anyone know of an alternative to twitch that isn't twitch? I don't really have any intention of "getting big" with my content, and if I can help it, I'd rather not use a platform with incompetent administration owned by a company famous for worker's rights violations. I'd generally like to avoid big tech companies in general, but I do understand that maintaining infrastructure for that kind of platform is probably pretty expensive.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023 @772.94 »

There's a federated self-hostable thing called OwnCast. Or you can find a PeerTube instance that supports streaming.
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023 @999.31 »

None of these are suggestions, as I've never used any of them, but I have heard of:

I also cannot speak on how "kid-friendly" their contents are, so please browse at your own risk. But I hope that helps in some way!

Also, thank you /home/user/ for the suggestion of OwnCast! I hadn't heard of it before.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023 @12.58 »

I am also looking for alternatives to Twitch, but while it's hard to move away from a platform that big in both users and features, it's not impossible...

I've heard about OwnCast too, definitely considering dipping my toes into that sometime in the future. Especially interested in customization options that a self-hosted platform brings but I haven't really gotten that far yet.

None of these are suggestions, as I've never used any of them, but I have heard of:

I also cannot speak on how "kid-friendly" their contents are, so please browse at your own risk. But I hope that helps in some way!

Thanks for the list, I'll check these out as well!

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023 @69.61 »

I'd generally refrain from using proprietary, not even open source streaming platforms. They're going to spy on you, be unsafe, and probably host the kind of "creators" banned elsewhere for good reason.

I'd really use a free software ethical solution like PeerTube or Owncast.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023 @437.18 »

I'd generally refrain from using proprietary, not even open source streaming platforms. They're going to spy on you, be unsafe, and probably host the kind of "creators" banned elsewhere for good reason.

I'd really use a free software ethical solution like PeerTube or Owncast.

Yeah, those are my concerns as well, especially because platforms other than Twitch and YouTube are incredibly appealing to people who I really don't want to be associated with.

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
angel-val
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023 @577.26 »

I mean, the average streamer on twitch isn't exactly great either lol
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023 @583.59 »

I mean, the average streamer on twitch isn't exactly great either lol

Fair, but even Twitch will ban overtly and violently homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist or conspiracy theory people who call for violence against minorities or teach you how to do it.

On other sites that I don't want to name that are commonly recommended as YouTube alternatives, like the one beginning with an O you will get all of these on the front page as recommendations.

On Twitch you will get people having bad opinions or making bad jokes and dogwhistles, but it can get way worse.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023 @626.61 »

That's exactly what I'm getting at, Twitch may have its own share of problems, at least they have a moderation team that will ban the Really Bad People from the platform... who will in turn move towards alternatives with less moderation (or even a welcoming attitude towards these people).

angel-val
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023 @653.21 »

Right ok, gotcha. So basically my options are twitch or owncast, and I don't currently have a server to host things on so I'll just stick to twitch probably
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023 @659.24 »

Right ok, gotcha. So basically my options are twitch or owncast, and I don't currently have a server to host things on so I'll just stick to twitch probably

Or you could join someone's existing PeerTube or Owncast instance. I also don't host my own, I use spectra.video.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Alternative transport and electric vehicles

Started by MelooonBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 13
Views: 1180
Last post January 30, 2023 @836.44
by Melooon
Alternatives for when you feel like you need to use social media.

Started by VersionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 4
Views: 994
Last post August 27, 2022 @312.67
by wris
Alternative for the terms webmaster and webmistress?

Started by lorenBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 18
Views: 1370
Last post September 13, 2023 @110.06
by beating hearts bby

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi