Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @306.40 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 56/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Using older tech

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Using older tech  (Read 2487 times)
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« on: November 28, 2022 @152.15 »

After being into old web recently i’ve come to realize i’ve been using less new tech. Mostly old programs and even windows 7 instead of 10 like I used to. Also using my phone less and less. Have y’all come to do that recently too?

Coffee addict, Gunpla builder, SMT fan.
jONALD
Casual Poster

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022 @673.83 »

I myself have not been using older tech but using the new stuff like old tech. the gaming has slowed down but will probably never stop as long as I have frens to play with, the social media is all but dead save for a few aggregator pages I follow to keep up with some artist that are on twitter. Forums like this one are nice to pop in every other day to see what's being said and I get not a single notification. As for my cellphone, it is doing roughly the same, simply a pocket computer for instant messaging and a manga reader. I am a lot happier for using my tech like this.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022 @684.22 »

I myself have not been using older tech but using the new stuff like old tech.

This is my goal as well: it's very appealing to get a simple flip phone with a combined amount of two (2) functions but that would quickly turn out to be very impractical in my daily life. It wouldn't necessarily be impossible but things would definitely get harder. I have been thinking about getting a VHS recorder and taping things from my PC using signal converters and the like, just for fun! (time to bootleg serial experiments lain)

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023 @630.13 »

If I was a bit more skilled in techy things, I'd love to have a "dumb" phone and an earlier Windows OS. 7 is just fine if even older iterations would make things more complicated, but I would still love to tinker with those from time to time. Building computers also sounds very appealing, but again, no tech skills :tongue:

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023 @637.65 »

Generally, I just find modern design and user experience cumbersome and inefficient so my workflow naturally draws me toward older programs and hardware.
Nippo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023 @738.47 »

If I was a bit more skilled in techy things, I'd love to have a "dumb" phone and an earlier Windows OS. 7 is just fine if even older iterations would make things more complicated, but I would still love to tinker with those from time to time. Building computers also sounds very appealing, but again, no tech skills :tongue:

There's no better time to start learning than now! :smile:

I remember the first time I tried messing with an old PC of mine to get Windows XP installed on it, and boy I struggled so much. It was even worse because I had a very smart friend helping me and even he couldn't figure it out! But once we did, we both learned what the problem is, so now we won't struggle with it again.

Now, I pretty much know what I'm doing when it comes to installing OSes, and now I collect old computers for fun. Everyone starts somewhere. I think the hardest part is figuring out where to even begin. It feels so overwhelming when you don't know much.

Even if you don't have a spare computer, using a Virtual Machine is really fun too. It could be a bit tricky to figure out, but that's the fun of it in my opinion. If it was easy, I wouldn't enjoy collecting and messing with it all.

If you need help, you can message me and I can guide ya. And I'm sure many others on the forum wouldn't mind too. :grin: It's a fun hobby to get into and I enjoy helping others getting started.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023 @44.65 »

Generally, I just find modern design and user experience cumbersome and inefficient so my workflow naturally draws me toward older programs and hardware.

Same here. I still use GIMP 2.6 for digital art because the new interface they introduced after that gave me a headache. I also still use MS Paint XP for simple editing!
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023 @930.54 »

for me personally, i've always been interested in older tech. my interest in older tech is actually what got me back into the old/personal web in the first place! some time ago i acquired a 3com ergo audrey internet appliance from The Year 2000 (it's such a funky little dude - how could i not be interested?). this device's primary function is web browsing, but as it's 23 years old and has no idea what CSS or HTTPS is, it sadly can't browse basically any modern site. i started searching for older websites that could still be viewed with its outdated browser, which naturally led me to explore a bunch of personal sites from the late 90s and early 00s.

i wasn't content with just browsing what was out there already, so i began relearning basic HTML and JS so that i could build my own audrey-compatible, retro-styled website. this combination of old-fashioned web-surfing and retro-style website crafting quickly reignited my interest in building my own personal site. as i searched around for personal-site-building help and resources, i eventually stumbled across the yesterweb, web revival communities, and this place!

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023 @898.66 »

tbh ive always preferred older/simpler tech stuff, even if its before my time. i only used wired headphones, and i only ever use my phone cuz my bank doesn't let you do any banking stuff on their website :/. thinking of getting one of those android flip phones, then i might actually touch it sometimes lol

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023 @190.93 »

I love using old tech. When I eventually get my own house, it will probably be full of any old tech I can get my hands on!

I love the experience of things with moving parts or are otherwise quirky in some way. I prefer watching movies on VHS or Laserdisc simply because I love hearing the machines do their thing as it loads the film and plays it.

I also love the feeling of cartridge consoles, just sliding the cart in and hitting the power switch, and you’re instantly in the game. I also love old disc based systems, especially ones that make a bit of noise while it loads data. (Dreamcast is ky favourite there!)

This is my goal as well: it's very appealing to get a simple flip phone with a combined amount of two (2) functions but that would quickly turn out to be very impractical in my daily life. It wouldn't necessarily be impossible but things would definitely get harder. I have been thinking about getting a VHS recorder and taping things from my PC using signal converters and the like, just for fun! (time to bootleg serial experiments lain)

I actually make VHS Mixtapes as a hobby, so feel free to contact me if you want any pointers.

tbh ive always preferred older/simpler tech stuff, even if its before my time. i only used wired headphones, and i only ever use my phone cuz my bank doesn't let you do any banking stuff on their website :/. thinking of getting one of those android flip phones, then i might actually touch it sometimes lol

I have one of those, actually, they’re pretty cool, but can be awkward to hold and use sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023 @195.21 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023 @800.81 »

there are some aspects of old technology & the old web i don't like, but i don't want everything to be minimalist and flat design. i try to view technology as a tool to make my life easier and more fulfilling; if it makes my life harder to use, i prefer not to, even if it gives me nostalgia vibes. this is especially true for me when it comes to old programs or unsafe software due to being outdated. there is a certain point where it becomes a security risk because updates are no longer happening, but if it has nothing to do with sensitive information or keeping my files, i'll use some older stuff :)
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023 @79.18 »

these last couple of days I been messing around and managed to install Windows Xp on a virtual machine just so I could play some old games, go around to installing a playsation 2 emulator as well.

I wild I could actually get that console but sadly its not easy to come by so my PC will have to do

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023 @141.77 »

these last couple of days I been messing around and managed to install Windows Xp on a virtual machine just so I could play some old games, go around to installing a playsation 2 emulator as well.

I wild I could actually get that console but sadly its not easy to come by so my PC will have to do

A Playstation 2? But that’s literally the best selling console of all time, isn’t it? :dunno:

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023 @605.28 »

A Playstation 2? But that’s literally the best selling console of all time, isn’t it? :dunno:

Oh hell yeah its is , I got to play Parappa the Rapper 2 and Katamari Damacy, its was great, I think there´s also backwards compatibility to the PlayStation as well.
If you´re curious I found a decent tutorial how to get PlayStation 2 games up and running on your PC:

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023 @613.38 »

Oh hell yeah its is , I got to play Parappa the Rapper 2 and Katamari Damacy, its was great, I think there´s also backwards compatibility to the PlayStation as well.
If you´re curious I found a decent tutorial how to get PlayStation 2 games up and running on your PC:

I have a Playstation 2, so I don't really need that.
What I was confused at is how the most popular console in history is somehow hard to find today. :dunno:

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Old Games + New Technology = <3

Started by GuestBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 14
Views: 1410
Last post September 06, 2022 @10.02
by Zusk
Why is Big Tech art so soulless??

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 13
Views: 1660
Last post April 07, 2024 @309.80
by tertiaryapocalypse
Old technology you DON’T like

Started by Cobra!Board ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 12
Views: 1037
Last post August 06, 2023 @714.66
by dirtnap

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi