Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @327.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 51/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  AVATARA: A 2003 Virtual World Documentary

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AVATARA: A 2003 Virtual World Documentary  (Read 621 times)
neoratz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ଘ(+ ໖_໖) tastes funny

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: neoratz

View Profile WWW

Won the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: November 29, 2022 @215.42 »

a friend showed me this documentary tonight and i was really wowed by it. i can't believe they made a documentary like this in 2003, virtual worlds had to have been much more complicated to interact with and create in! i felt like they touched on a lot of things we are still talking about today... the blurring of real life and virtual life, the notion that digital art can't last, and the avatar as an extension of the self, it all still feels relevant 19 years later. i thought it was really funny when they touched on the problem of room sizes and avatar sizes, where a lot of the rooms were built for 1 style of avatar and anyone using avatars outside of that style threw off the scale. i still have this problem in other games like Whirled, where some avatars are just too tiny for rooms!

i also found this in the description, a collection on the internet archive for virtual world preservation! how cool is that?!? https://archive.org/details/virtual_worlds i'll definitely be exploring this another time.

so, i am wondering, have any of you seen this documentary? do you have any thoughts? :unite:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022 @219.25 by neoratz » Logged

i promised i'm not alone in heaven... ˖˚
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022 @916.28 »

cool

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022 @85.54 »

I missed this one! THe visuals are fantastic!! :ozwomp: The interviews are.. a bit bland, although its interesting hearing voices from the people who inhabit this strange digital world. BUT omg the visuals are great - I may have to study this for my next game :grin:

Thank you for posting it!

EDIT: "There was a huge doughnut avatar; just turning the avatar would bonk like 10 people at a time" :happy: I take back my bland interviews comment!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022 @96.99 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GUIDE: Melon's Simple X3D World Tutorial

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 5
Views: 3754
Last post February 17, 2022 @637.75
by demonologi
What is an extremely messy way to write a hello world script?

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 9
Views: 2215
Last post September 03, 2023 @739.02
by Kallistero
Is this forum nostalgic over everything or is the modern world really that bad?

Started by Icey!Board ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 15
Views: 4129
Last post May 01, 2022 @188.50
by Sylvian

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi