Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @658.11 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 55/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  Comic medium: what makes a good comic and overall thoughts about it.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Comic medium: what makes a good comic and overall thoughts about it.  (Read 513 times)
CinPunk
Newbie ⚓︎

iMood: CinPunk

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 19, 2023 @392.73 »

:pc: Overall, the subject is pretty explicative from the start :ha: : what makes a comic good? (graphics and dialogues). What made you want more out of a story, what you find engaging and what you think new generations of comics lacks in? (With comics I mean webcomics and mangas too :cheerR: ). Examples are welcome too :smile: .

Also, are you more on the "classic" part of the medium or you search for something more experimental and new?  :defrag:.  I'm more on the experimental side and I really like when people put a bit of themselves in their works. (E.G. An artist uses a particular/personal style and the topics are something I never heard about before). :pc: .   
devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023 @469.48 »

I could go on and on about comics... for me, a good one needs to have some «soul» to it. Doesn't matter how it's drawn or if there even is a story. I need to feel something. That's why I'm such a big fan of experimental and indie comics- a lot of them are based on deeply personal feelings. This goes for manga too, of course.

I think what's why I can't really get into mainstream superhero comics... Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good superhero stories (Watchmen, need I say more?), but the amount of stories from Marvel or DC I care about are very small compared to the amount of stuff that they publish.

As for webcomics, I'm not too familiar with them (I just prefer physical books), but I imagine the same can be said about them. Bonus points if they fully utilize the Internet to tell their story! Say what you will about Homestuck, it excelled the medium in this regard.

Remember to eat dessert <3
larvapuppy
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023 @20.49 »

I was a big webcomics and manga fan when I was a teenager. It was my dream to have a popular webcomic in those days. Comics still hold a special place in my heart, but I don't have as much time to delve deep into them anymore.

For me, it's hard to place what makes a good comic for me. I think the artwork has a lot to do with it; I need to at least like the art (this doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be made by a master artist, just that the style needs to be interesting to me in some way). If there is a lot to look at in each panel, if the characters' clothing is to my liking, pretty colours... These details hold my attention, as someone who draws.

I'd like to echo user devils' thoughts on superhero comics and Homestuck  :grin:

This doesn't really apply to more experimental comics, but one comics pet peeve that I have is when more straightforward narrative-style comics don't place their text boxes and word bubbles in a clearly defined and flowing order. As in, (for most Western comics) left-to-right, top-to-bottom. It's made even worse when the panels are not in this order and they choose to use arrows between the panels to correct this. :ohdear: I just personally find it confusing and that it doesn't add anything positive to the reading experience.

That said, I'd appreciate any comic recommendations!  :evil:

the end of an era, one starts anew
urgellx
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Lost on the web

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023 @665.06 »

i feel like what makes a comic good for me is mainly the art style, the story comes later. now it's
a bit complicated to explain what makes an artstyle good for comics, but i feel like it's doing
enough to make every page interesting to take apart. i dislike older traditional styles of comics
just because they want to tell their story and the art comes later (i'll take rahan or any really
old dc comics), i feel like the art should be able to speak by itself and then, if the reader is
interested, the story should come. not that older artists aren't as good, it's just a different
style that doesn't seem to stand out to me. if i take those points for granted, what i read nowadays
online is horrible. but i feel like it's mainly being done as an illustrated story, not as a comic,
so, just like i could with rahan, i'll read them. they're just not good comics in my eyes though.

have a good day ! :ozwomp:

Héhé, écoute, derrière y'avait pas mal de vent.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2096
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy
Are there any good resources on how to get started on C++?

Started by easy_breezyBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1138
Last post February 19, 2022 @957.49
by Melooon
Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2338
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi