Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @333.88 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  How does user rank work exactly?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How does user rank work exactly?  (Read 194 times)
VelvetSoul
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Till the moon may fall, and the sun may die.

View Profile WWW

A cat for good luck!Joined 2024!
« on: July 07, 2024 @656.64 »

I've noticed that every user has a rank such as Newbie, Casual Poster, Jr. Member, etc. As I understand it Full Member is when you're allowed to interact with certain features of the forum such as gifts (which I love, but feel really underused; which I want to fix!) I noticed my rank went from Newbie to Casual Poster recently, but I'm unable to discern why or how.

I scoured the wiki in hopes of finding some kind of answer for this, since I recently realized we had a forum wiki and thought that might have an answer for me. However I couldn't find anything there about it, now I will admit I tend to be pretty blind when it comes to this sort of thing. A lot of times something is looking me right in the face and I'm unable to figure out what it means. That being said I am very interested in this as I wish to unlock more features to interact with my fellow forum users; but I couldn't figure anything out. I remember seeing that Full Member was awarded at 100+ posts, however I can't find anywhere that lists how many posts I've made. I don't intend to spam posts just to figure this out, but I've taken to trying to be more active on the forums as a result. Participating in threads where I feel like I have something to add, or just even welcoming people in hopes they don't feel overlooked or ignored.

I've likely made around 30 or so posts so far, which means I'd realistically expect to maybe hit Full Member next week (since the forum is about to close for Monday.) However I haven't been able to find anywhere that confirmed this suspicion, it very well could be time based, or awarded based on activity; I don't know if the system is automatic or given out by moderators.

Sorry if I seem nosy, I'm just really curious about how advancing through the ranks works since I'd love to actually interact with some of the higher level features; admittedly primarily gifts. I think they're a unique way to interact with fellow users, and I feel like they can add a lot of personality both for the person getting the gift, and the person sending it. It's a way of saying "I noticed this thing about you and thought you might like a little badge for it." I always find myself checking out everyone's little gifts to see what people think of them and what they're known for. It really makes me want to participate in that culture too, I guess I just want to know if I'm on the right track for that since I couldn't find anywhere that gave me a clear path towards it.
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2024 @657.62 »

I think its based on post counts, from replies to topic creation. Im not quite sure personally myself, other than that I believe "Full Member" is based on 100 total posts. I dont even know how I got to my own rank tbh

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2024 @696.91 »

Iv attached the current grouping system below ~ im open to suggestions for a better system; this is just loosly how the group's were setup by default in the forums code!

As far as I know post count is increased by posts and topic creation! Its an easy metric for the forum to track, but not the best in terms of judging how helpful or thoughtful those posts have really been. In a perfect world ranks should be something manually granted to people based on what they post; but that's far beyond what we could handle as moderators  :drat:

* member_groups.PNG (10.82 kB, 897x255 - viewed 23 times.)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024 @708.41 »

but that's far beyond what we could handle as moderators  :drat:

Neither would I feel comfortable to judge the worth of postings (just speaking for myself here); a "Karma" or "Thank you" system would be better than this, but in my opinion still flawed, as it supports and encourages to create posts and topics that fit the seemingly prevalent taste of the board.

VelvetSoul
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Till the moon may fall, and the sun may die.

View Profile WWW

A cat for good luck!Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024 @727.56 »

Yea that makes a lot of sense, and I can agree about the karma system. I think that's honestly the biggest issue I have with a lot of social media sites. The idea of gaining some kind of favor, notes, points; etc from your posts means that there will likely be bad actors who simply create drama to be the "right" one. Not to mention the people who may stop posting about personal interests and such because it's not in line with what they see the general culture of the forum moving towards. That could essentially create an echo chamber that silences users who are less popular, and favors those who got popular whether through legitimate means or simply by playing to the audience.

Though I also want to say, I'm literally just a new user so please take what I say with a major grain of salt, I don't want to tell you how to run your own forum obviously. It may sound weird for me to say I'm "passionate" about this forum, but it's the first place where I've felt welcome and actually enjoy engaging in conversation. Which is saying something because I've been on a few other forums looking for an alternative to social media for a while now. However, being passionate about it doesn't mean I, as new as I am; would want to be giving my thoughts on the forum's established systems if that makes sense, I'm literally too new to have such opinions yet.

I'm not entirely sure if the system currently in place is necessarily flawed to be honest. If I were to throw my two cents into the ring I would say that it's understandable. Features like gifts are cool, and people could always delete gifts they didn't want if they were sent something less than nice. However I think restricting it to Full Members makes sense, considering if someone has come to the forum and made 100 posts, they're likely engaging with the forum organically or genuinely. Whether or not they're accustomed to the culture of forums vs social media yet or not, they're trying and personally I couldn't fault someone for that. By which I mean it's unlikely someone in that situation would use those features for something negative, or want to cause harm in the first place. Likewise, obviously it'd be quick to notice someone spamming senseless topics and posts, and that would be a lot easier for a moderator to manage. If you suddenly see someone making a thread and just spamming it without any reason then sure, you could handle that before major damage is done. I think the big thing too is that outside of Gift giving I am not aware of other benefits to user ranks. So it's unlikely someone would generally end up at that point without being a fairly dedicated member of the forum in the first place. A random troll passing by to cause damage wouldn't likely bother to go through the barrier to entry of submitting a registration, and if they did they'd likely not even know about the gift system without spending time here.

I might not be making sense, sorry. I guess what I'm getting at is that while I understand that I have nothing but good intentions of wanting to engage with a fun feature of the forums. Not everyone is going to feel the same way; ultimately you don't want someone wandering in here and then spamming a bunch of rude or inappropriate gifts at people or something. Plus while they might not award additional features; rank does denote a certain status and especially for new users (such as myself) it's nice to be able to look at someone's rank and understand if they've been here a while or not.

If I make a thread asking about what is or isn't okay to do, if maybe the rules didn't mention something I'm concerned about. It's nice to be able to see that the guy saying "it's A-okay!" is ranked "newbie" but the guy saying "generally we wouldn't want that, and it's likely the moderators would delete it." is ranked "Full Member" as I'm able to glean a lot of information about which one is more trustworthy.
zj
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: zeejay
iMood: zeejay

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024 @659.19 »

Iv attached the current grouping system below ~ im open to suggestions for a better system; this is just loosly how the group's were setup by default in the forums code!

As far as I know post count is increased by posts and topic creation! Its an easy metric for the forum to track, but not the best in terms of judging how helpful or thoughtful those posts have really been. In a perfect world ranks should be something manually granted to people based on what they post; but that's far beyond what we could handle as moderators  :drat:

Hmm, after looking at my own profile, I appear to have less than 50 posts yet I am a jr. member.. i'm confused :ohdear:

why dontcha have a peek at my site :eyes:
(23 years old)
this is Kurt ↓
gif of a ""tamaNOTchi". Click to feed!
click to feed him :3
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024 @746.01 »

I appear to have less than 50 posts yet I am a jr. member.
Not according to the forum database! You've got 53; BUtttt sometimes the forums counts go out of sync (for example if you made a lot of posts in a thread that was later delisted) - if that's the case you might spontaneously drop if the forum decided to do a recount but those are pretty rare :omg:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
zj
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: zeejay
iMood: zeejay

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024 @549.53 »

Not according to the forum database! You've got 53; BUtttt sometimes the forums counts go out of sync (for example if you made a lot of posts in a thread that was later delisted) - if that's the case you might spontaneously drop if the forum decided to do a recount but those are pretty rare :omg:

Oh, that makes sense! By delisted do you mean deleted by the original topic creator?

why dontcha have a peek at my site :eyes:
(23 years old)
this is Kurt ↓
gif of a ""tamaNOTchi". Click to feed!
click to feed him :3
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024 @574.99 »

Oh, that makes sense! By delisted do you mean deleted by the original topic creator?

Rather deleted by the staff or moved into the "Holding" area. Users can't delete their topics themself!
Yet, you have no posts there :). I believe that the whole post counting of the board software is rather broken.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's VSynth Works

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 13
Views: 2634
Last post July 04, 2023 @605.29
by Memory
/home/user/'s Obscure Song of the Day

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 1465
Last post March 23, 2023 @493.16
by Memory
memo's sketches and works

Started by memoBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 976
Last post October 06, 2022 @375.51
by memo

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi