Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @613.10 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Email Ettiquette

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Email Ettiquette  (Read 712 times)
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« on: January 06, 2023 @719.54 »

Hey guys, So I had to Email my teacher for my missing assignment and I realzied.. :TnT: :TnT: i'm not very good on etiquette . ..
usually i just email my teachers that i have a missing assignment they need to gradee which sounds very rude, i'm way too straight-forward about it :drat:

i was wondering, what do you think are some proper ways to start up an email? this can apply to teachers, professionals, or even just people on the net

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023 @828.09 »

As someone who writes these regularly, honestly I'd write it somewhat like this:

Dear X,

unfortunately due to xyz reason, I was unable to do zyx task in the allotted time frame.
I have now however finished the assignment and am hereby submitting it for grading.
I apologize for the additional hassle this has caused and wish you a good weekend/week/...

Sincerely

My Name
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023 @691.24 »

As someone who writes these regularly, honestly I'd write it somewhat like this:

This is more or less the same for me - I used to always pay special attention to make sure their prefix was correct (Prof, Dr, Mr, Ms, Mrs etc) and then Id use their last name (Dear Dr Balloon etc) - usually you can get this info by checking how they have signed off past formal emails or on their staff listing online. Its a little awkward because we are not used to being formal like this in daily life, but I always felt it was better to over formalise rather than under formalise.

After all that they will reply with something like "Ok, sure" - but thats the power balance of student-teacher :grin:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Leekleeks
Casual Poster

Professional Wallflower

iMood: Leekleeks

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023 @733.04 »

After all that they will reply with something like "Ok, sure" - but thats the power balance of student-teacher :grin:

Lol ain't that the truth
loren
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: ribose
iMood: ribose

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Learning to swim!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023 @740.16 »

i've worked as a teaching assistant before so i can provide a little context about what it's like receiving student emails. obviously i can't speak to every teacher's etiquette preferences but these are things i have discussed with other teachers and TAs.

i'm way too straight-forward about it :drat:

straight-forwardness is generally appreciated! the worst student emails are the really long ones where it's unclear what's being asked for. keeping it short and direct makes it quicker to read and understand.

i think this is a great example. three sentences: an explanation, the request, and a short apology with well wishes. i think it's best to keep the "xyz reason" pretty short and vague. reasonable teachers will not require you to give you an elaborate story explaining why the assignment is late, and if they do for whatever reason, they can ask for it in their reply.

I used to always pay special attention to make sure their prefix was correct (Prof, Dr, Mr, Ms, Mrs etc) and then Id use their last name (Dear Dr Balloon etc) - usually you can get this info by checking how they have signed off past formal emails or on their staff listing online.

this is a really great point! at the start of every semester, i tell my students how i'd like to be referred to (just by first name), but i realize that not every teacher does this. i am nonbinary, so i find being referred to as ms. or mr. lastname a bit irritating. if they don't mention it, it's possible that they don't care that much what you call them. like Melon said, checking how they signed past emails and referring to them that way is the best way to get it right on the first try.

all that being said, don't worry about it too much! a nice email can help things go more smoothly, but it doesn't have to be perfect. especially in the case of teachers, it's their job to help you. as long as you aren't demanding that they drop everything they're doing and grade your assignment right now, i think it'll be okay.

purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023 @19.07 »

all that being said, don't worry about it too much! a nice email can help things go more smoothly, but it doesn't have to be perfect. especially in the case of teachers, it's their job to help you. as long as you aren't demanding that they drop everything they're doing and grade your assignment right now, i think it'll be okay.

I think this probably holds for every type of email that one could write. A little consideration goes a long way towards keeping interactions pleasant. :transport:
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023 @646.64 »

and then Id use their last name (Dear Dr Balloon etc) -

I wish I had a teacher named Dr. Balloon... though he might be,, airheaded :happy: :happy:

lol sorry sorry

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023 @651.86 »

i've worked as a teaching assistant before so i can provide a little context about what it's like receiving student emails. obviously i can't speak to every teacher's etiquette preferences but these are things i have discussed with other teachers and TAs.

straight-forwardness is generally appreciated! the worst student emails are the really long ones where it's unclear what's being asked for. keeping it short and direct makes it quicker to read and understand.

:transport: :transport: :transport: ooh thanks for ur input as a teaching assistant, this is definitely a new perspective to hear from

thanks for the well meaning paragraphs, this makes email ettiquette sound far more easy to my smooth brain
i think the format the other user sent is pretty well meaning and easy to remember since it's just a simple yet formal email :dive:
i'll continue to have my emails a bit to-the-point but with some more formality sprinkled in :unite:

Cheers everyone! Thanks for this discussion, feel free to express views on email eittquete if you want, i'll be reading :smile:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023 @652.67 »

Dear X,

unfortunately due to xyz reason, I was unable to do zyx task in the allotted time frame.
I have now however finished the assignment and am hereby submitting it for grading.
I apologize for the additional hassle this has caused and wish you a good weekend/week/...

Sincerely

My Name

Thanks for the help :4u: I will keep this in mind next time I must send an email to my beloved teachers

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Email Culture

Started by dotmidiBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 13
Views: 1163
Last post July 05, 2023 @882.96
by aster
Considering getting a Domain/Email for my site

Started by AnonicusBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 618
Last post January 28, 2023 @112.21
by Onio
Email providers, email hosting...

Started by drakonicBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 15
Views: 1150
Last post May 20, 2023 @438.58
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi