Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @692.36 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Which search engines do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Which search engines do you use?  (Read 1175 times)
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: January 07, 2023 @837.22 »

Which search engine, or combination or search engines and directories, do you prefer to use when you're seeking something specific or doing research online?

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023 @857.07 »

goggle.com

:ozwomp: my beloved

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023 @922.11 »

DuckDuckGo, although I've found for very niche topics I still have to unfortunately switch over to Google.

I've heard some people have issues with DDG, but I haven't found one I like as much that has a good track record with privacy.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023 @927.20 »

DuckDuckGo is my main search and covers 95% of things :ozwomp:

Google is a good backup, particularly if its a very specific thing Im looking for - also Googles reverse image search is great, and Google Scholar is really handy for academic documents.

I actually don't use any directory sites.. I find large lists of links quite overwhelming and Iv never found one that felt fun to use :drat:

I tried Ecosia (apparently they plant trees with search ad revenue) for a while, but its just Bing as far as I know, and I also tried Kagi which is a paid search engine; I actually really liked its design and results, but its too expensive and I reaaallllyyy don't trust its developer :ohdear:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023 @930.49 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023 @940.81 »

DuckDuckGo is my main search and covers 95% of things :ozwomp:

Google is a good backup, particularly if its a very specific thing Im looking for - also Googles reverse image search is great, and Google Scholar is really handy for academic documents.

I actually don't use any directory sites.. I find large lists of links quite overwhelming and Iv never found one that felt fun to use :drat:

I tried Ecosia (apparently they plant trees with search ad revenue) for a while, but its just Bing as far as I know, and I also tried Kagi which is a paid search engine; I actually really liked its design and results, but its too expensive and I reaaallllyyy don't trust its developer :ohdear:

Also a DuckDuckGo user here, though I agree with Frugal, sometimes it just doesn't cut it :/

What about Kagi rung the alarm bells for you? I find this interesting, considering how much has been revealed about our information being sold. It wasn't until last year that I realized how sketch Discord is!

Version
Casual Poster

Ver. Narrative game and mystery media lover.

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023 @353.99 »

Searx is my go-to and it has a lot of advantages: It's Decentralized, privacy oriented, and is a metasearch engine (meaning it aggregates results from multiple other engines). But it has a couple problems. Mainly that it's hard to find a good public instance if you can't host your own. And sometimes those public instances will go down meaning I have to use something like ddg as a back up.
angel-val
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023 @510.80 »

I use startpage, which is basically just getting google results without the tracking/privacy bull.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023 @558.97 »

I use Qwant because it's European, unless I need something specific fast, then I use Google, because Qwant hasn't been translated into my language yet and doesn't always have relevant local results. I used DuckDuckGo and Ecosia in the past.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023 @772.65 »

I use DuckDuckGo regularly. Never wished for anything else.
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023 @0.89 »

Searx is my go-to and it has a lot of advantages: It's Decentralized, privacy oriented, and is a metasearch engine (meaning it aggregates results from multiple other engines). But it has a couple problems. Mainly that it's hard to find a good public instance if you can't host your own. And sometimes those public instances will go down meaning I have to use something like ddg as a back up.

Same here. If I am not using DuckDuckGo, I usually look up an available instance of Searx on searx.space

Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023 @236.32 »

I was also picking between duckduckgo and ecosia. I think either one is good in the end, with duckduckgo also being carbon negative, and ecosia supposedly also not tracking your searches, but I went for duckduckgo as well because it's reliable and has good widgets and info-boxes when you search things up.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023 @518.97 »

As far as I know by the way, Ecosia plants extremely cheap trees in a monoculture, which actually destroys nature more than not. Plus, it's not open source, so you have no way of knowing for sure what they do to your data. No corporation does charity.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023 @713.13 »

Let me throw DuckDuckGo Lite in the ring. "Lite" means that no JavaScript is required and the site loads faster. So it works on the old Netscape fine.

https://lite.duckduckgo.com/lite/

Privacy related I remember that Duckduckgo was hosted on Amazon servers, so super privacy is doubtable. Startpage too, being owned by an dubious company since a couple of years.

Other search engines for old computers are Frogfind and Wiby.

http://frogfind.com/?q=Melonland
https://wiby.me/?q=Melonland

Wiby being interesting for having a search index that's being feeded by the users with good old-style sites instead of a webcrawler running across the web. You can find some niche sites there.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023 @938.18 »

As far as I know by the way, Ecosia plants extremely cheap trees in a monoculture, which actually destroys nature more than not. Plus, it's not open source, so you have no way of knowing for sure what they do to your data. No corporation does charity.

Maybe! Its hard to tell; I did see a short clip of the founder in this documentary and he seemed like a cool guy and very genuine - I imagine they are not perfect regardless but I hope they are not as bad as you say because its nice to think theres some people out there doing good!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
glacial_pace
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023 @992.69 »

duck duck go needs to support exact quotes in queries, i find myself constantly using google for that
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Daniel's Network Search (Discontinued)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 3
Views: 1959
Last post March 19, 2022 @479.06
by Karius
php heck: making a search engine

Started by cinniBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 1471
Last post February 22, 2022 @256.30
by ellievoyyd
Can a website be "useless"?

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 45
Views: 4217
Last post September 15, 2023 @380.17
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi