Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @667.75 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 82/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Do you remember IRC?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Do you remember IRC?  (Read 3138 times)
neongod
Newbie ⚓︎

“Everything not saved will be lost” - Nintendo

iMood: neongod

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024 @15.06 »

I grew up on IRC and I found a community and real life friends there who I'm still in contact with 20 years later. I stopped using it when most people disappeared with the rise of IMs, then the social media, but recently I returned. Now it's different of course, but surprisingly people are still using it. It's much less crowded and maybe with all the noise online, it's a good thing.

My main issue was that I couldn't make it fit into my daily routine. That you're only 'there', when you're connected and if you turn your computer off or it goes to sleep, you get disconnected. Then I bought a RaspberryPi (for other reasons) and found that there is an IRC client called The Lounge. It runs locally and provides a nice web IRC interface you can use both from your computer or your phone. As my RaspberryPi is always on, I stay connected on IRC even if my laptop or phone is off, and I can read back the chat history or reply to people whenever I have time. It's perfect.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024 @19.40 by neongod » Logged
xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I wonder whats for DINNER

View Profile WWW

Tin WhistleJoined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024 @43.74 »

While I never had any real experience with IRC, it is something I'd like to learn more about! These kinds of things are fascinating to me, and more practically; as the modern web becomes more inhospitable, looking back on how things were done in the early days of the internet is invaluable! There's also maybe the cool factor too  >_<

Without even knowing, Clonk and Worms, two games with lots of similarities, have a built-in IRC Client for organizing games.

Speaking of cool factor; the (Hollywood esque) hacking simulator game, Uplink, also included an IRC client in the form of an optional upgrade! I think it was primarily meant to serve as an in-game way to ask for advice from other hackers (players) but you could also just connect to any other IRC channel.
SilentHope33

The current Hokage

iMood: optimistic

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024 @90.29 »

I remember using it as a kid, and talking about video games, comics/manga, anime, and tv shows. I don't remember a lot of stuff about IRC from my days as a teen, in the late 90's/00's but I do remember making friends and having them added on instant messenger. So there's that, but now thinking on that stuff it wouldn't hurt to go back to that stuff as the net has become toxic with hostile politics and such...

"If Miracles Only Happen Once What Are They Called The Second Time?" - Ichigo Kurosaki
BagelCake

iMood: bagelcake

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2024 @80.78 »

remember irc? i'm still using irc and that's actually how i found out about melonland lol
good memories hanging out in irc rooms on and off through the years
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2024 @111.09 »

I actually did use IRC for a bit with the free trial of mIRC, and i remember messaging the linux chat about methods to install linux, and they suggested i make a boot disk. There are a lot of servers to choose from as well

I found this one specific support channel and everyone in there was the biggest asshole ever so everyone just got support in the general chat someone else made for the project. Lol, Lmao, Rofl even

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024 @747.12 »

I believe IRC was the first chat programme I ever used back in the '90s!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 56
Views: 5298
Last post Today at @17.04
by BUTCHBONEZ
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3891
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™
Does anyone remember HyperCard? If so I have good news!

Started by TheFrugalGamerBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 8
Views: 1053
Last post December 08, 2023 @915.66
by di

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi