Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @598.10 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Should we stop writing long posts?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Should we stop writing long posts?  (Read 901 times)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: January 26, 2023 @894.43 »

There seems to be this mindset of that everything in this forum must have a few paragraphs. There are even some posts that have to use smaller text to fit whatever wordy stuff they need to say. Even back then I got really jealous about how some select number of users where really good at making long posts. But after making a topic about "How to make longer replies" Someone in there pointed out most people don't actually read the large rows of text and asked me why I would want to make long posts? While I did feel a little ashamed at asking a boneheaded question, it did help me point to another more relevant question. Should we stop making these long posts? I don't mean that we should just go with one liners because that would cause a uprising of low quality posts. But rather, what is the "ideal length" of a post? When should we use longer or shorter posts?

:ozwomp: my beloved

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023 @936.97 »

I feel like people should write as much as they want to be honest, be it a little or a lot, IMO it's all good if it has at least a little substance or thought put into it and even putting it like that makes it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Sometimes there's a lot to be said about a certain topic and other times few words will do trick so I don't think there's an end-all be-all solution!

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023 @976.24 »

There are no "boneheaded questions" for the genuinely curious! The question that comes to my mind is:

"What length is long enough for a person to express what they intend to?"

Only the writer of that post can answer that. Of course, not everyone may read it. That too is a personal choice.

...I can't imagine a forum being very fun for those that don't like reading though. Haha! :ha:
Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023 @984.95 »

I think that people usually write long or short because they want to do that. If we ask users who typically write short posts to write long posts, or users who typically write long posts to write short posts it might be less enjoyable for them.

Long posts can often introduce numerous concepts, and points of discussion, which can facilitate much more conversation. I think it's perfectly okay not to write long posts however a staple of this style of community is allowing people the freedom to express themselves. :tongue:

I definitely don't think there is a mindset that people have to write long posts on here, I think if there is any expectation it is to contribute something more than just a reaction like "wow that's cool". I'd guess the vast majority of people on here writing long posts on here are simply doing it because they enjoy it and take pleasure in it :smile:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023 @987.25 by t0lo » Logged
Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023 @991.63 »

I have to say there is a certain level of irony in posting this in the writers corner though :grin:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023 @43.00 »

I dunno, I am specifically using forums so that I can interact with people on a more thought out medium than standard social media, where you can actually hold a conversation and not just send short opinions and quips each other's way.

More time spent writing means less incentive for writing short, poignant, viral-chasing and emotionally charged posts without thinking; unlike on Twitter for example, whose fundamental design incentivizes posting as fast and short as possible. In my opinion, that has led to people on Twitter et al to mostly keep to provocative opinions and short jokes/memes for easy likes. Quote tweets and other harassment features don't make actually talking much easier, either.

I feel like forum posts on the other hand typically have a length at which posting them requires the minimum effort to dissuade people from arguing about petty stuff. They just might overthink before posting: "is it really worth it?" I also read all of them, no matter how long!
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023 @202.91 »

I feel like people should write as much as they want to be honest
I feel the same way, I don't think you should put too much stock in how long you have to write something, as long as you're satisfied that you put your idea across in the way you wanted.
I dunno, I am specifically using forums so that I can interact with people on a more thought out medium than standard social media
Me as well, I feel that generally the people that come to this forum are more likely to be more descriptive and wordy simply because they actively searched for an alternative digital social experience that operates differently than popular modern social media sites.

@Icelogist
I know this topic is months old, but if you do happen to see this, just know that I think I speak for everyone here that no-one is holding you to some kind of standard when it comes to post length. You aren't being judged and any contribution you make, no matter the length, is appreciated and welcome. :)

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023 @236.19 »

@Icelogist
I know this topic is months old, but if you do happen to see this, just know that I think I speak for everyone here that no-one is holding you to some kind of standard when it comes to post length. You aren't being judged and any contribution you make, no matter the length, is appreciated and welcome. :)

:4u:

:ozwomp: my beloved

Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023 @398.43 »

I guess my only gripe with long posts is that when people use unfriendly colours and difficult to read type, admittedly I often skip posts that are too difficult to read. I understand that its kind of the point with the indie web, but my dyslexic eyes struggle! Other than that its nice seeing people actually write about things they are passionate about in detail, the evocation of conversation has always been my favourite thing about this forum  :ozwomp:

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023 @423.50 »

I guess my only gripe with long posts is that when people use unfriendly colours and difficult to read type, admittedly I often skip posts that are too difficult to read. I understand that its kind of the point with the indie web, but my dyslexic eyes struggle! Other than that its nice seeing people actually write about things they are passionate about in detail, the evocation of conversation has always been my favourite thing about this forum  :ozwomp:

Have you tried the Newspaper theme? It's made specifically for readability, and therefore also turns off custom fonts and colors. :) And it comes in dark and light!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Long, shortened, and midrange domains pros and cons list

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2264
Last post February 25, 2024 @664.87
by Swiftpaw
How do you write longer replies?

Started by Icey!Board ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 12
Views: 1009
Last post March 14, 2023 @664.14
by Melooon
Melonland Forum hit 69 posts in 24 hours

Started by AnonicusBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 1
Views: 555
Last post January 21, 2023 @734.25
by TheFrugalGamer

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi