Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @473.36 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 66/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Why Do You Have a Blog?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why Do You Have a Blog?  (Read 720 times)
Stonehead
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Hello

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 07, 2023 @290.16 »

Why do you write a blog? It takes so much time and energy to create, and without the widespread audience of mainstream social media, it's unlikely that many people will actually read it. So why put in the effort?

I wrote some thoughts about the merits of creating a website that won't be seen. (If this self-promotion is too shameless, let me know and I can delete the link)

I think writing is a good way to organize your thoughts, and sort out your beliefs. I've heard that journaling is good for mental health, and my theory is that blogs can have a similar effect. The styling and layout of the blog then are analogous to decorating your journal with stickers and highlighters.

No one questions why you would bother to put stickers on a journal you won't show to anyone, so I think that's a sufficient answer to why anyone would write a blog.

More than that though, I think putting more art into the world is good, regardless of how many people (if any) actually see it. I don't really have a good argument in favor of this, it's just a gut feeling.

What do you think? Do you have a blog? Does anyone read it? Why do you put so much effort into your blog?
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023 @424.92 »

Hi.
Similar to what you have written.
My blog is a bit frequented, but many of my projects (many of them are much more dear to me than my blog) are vastly invisible. They are done to be done, and this is okay. I loved to make them, and occasionally somebody might stumble over them and be enlightened that such stuff is made - it might seem unlikely sometimes, but I can tell you that it happens :).

There is a passage in Burgess Earthly Powers where they talk about vanity. One character asks if the world would lie in ruins, and nobody would remember Beethovens 9th Symphony anymore - wouldn't it still be part of the world? It wouldn't sound anymore, but it was there and touched the world, and thus became an inherent part of it.

zj
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: zeejay
iMood: zeejay

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023 @456.86 »

I'm in the works of adding a little journal / blog-ish to my site, and you summed it up perfectly! My site is also not very frequently visited, and while visitors are great, the best part of having a website is in my opinion how deeply personal you can make it.

I've always loved coming across old blogs - last week I stumbled upon a blog post from 2010 in my search for some obscure thing, and had a little look. I got to see this random person's reflections about college in 2010, and I even found a post from 2018 excitedly talking about the birth of her second child :')

Even if nobody ever sees what you write, having somewhere to express yourself and your thoughts is both fun and comforting. :)

why dontcha have a peek at my site :eyes:
(23 years old)
this is Kurt ↓
gif of a ""tamaNOTchi". Click to feed!
click to feed him :3
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023 @611.05 »

I have a blog on bearblog which I recently switched to, actually.

Previously, I was typing raw coded entries LOL. It was fun while I was doing it, but it was a bit of a pain and I was seeking somewhere that would take care of all the styling and sorting entries itself so that I could instead focus solely on writing the entries. Bearblog is cool in that I can customise the look of it myself through CSS, but I don't have to worry about formatting anything!

It also has an analytics tab! You can pay a small amount of money for detailed analytics, but the free version works well enough. I never realised how many people read my blog/diary entries until moving to bearblog!

As for what I write... It's usually attempts to sort through my own thoughts, or ways to "explain" myself to myself. Updates regarding my life are common entries too, such as fun things I've been doing, cool things I've bought, or otherwise "minilogs" as I like to call them (which just means several unconnected ramblings).

One thing I note is that I never use my blog space to vent. I like to try and keep my entries easy and fun to read for others, just in case I have an audience. And venting goes inside a personal hand written diary, the hand written aspect of it proves better to deal with my venting as I have to take my time with it. I like putting good things into the world which is why I love having my blog, because it allows me to not only understand my own thoughts, but also perhaps comfort someone else in the process.
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023 @757.25 »

I think writing is a good way to organize your thoughts, and sort out your beliefs. I've heard that journaling is good for mental health, and my theory is that blogs can have a similar effect. The styling and layout of the blog then are analogous to decorating your journal with stickers and highlighters.

I fully agree with this :smile:
In my case, I think I am just not used to not having one.. I made my first tumblr account in 2010, I was 14/15 years old at that time. I have always had fun arguing for or against something in a little essay, or sorting my thoughts that way, or presenting a topic I care about in that way. I also write a lot of long texts elsewhere, like messages to friends or forum posts.
I don't really care about if anyone reads it or not, my default view is that it won't be seen so I am positively surprised whenever someone messages me. I actually enjoy the obscurity and disinterest, since being famous online in whatever way doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. I know some bigger Neocities sites have posted in the past about not feeling like they can be themselves on their well known websites and blogs, so they create separate identities and accounts elsewhere where they feel obscure enough to be a bit more intimate.

I also see blogs as a little track record of how thoughts and opinions evolve, or a sign of how you improve at things. I also appreciate that it is something people can discover if they really want, and learn stuff about me that they wouldn't think to ask or wouldn't wanna ask. It's like a little repository of how I handle stuff, some of my views and values, and surely a lot of the entries say things about me that aren't even explicitly written about. A person could write about their favorite reptiles, and something about their way of words and view on it can give you the idea that they're a neat or smart person, or the way they describe their Sunday breakfast conveys that they are a really kind person, you know? Maybe it gives strangers more content to talk to me about, or an incentive to become closer.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Stonehead
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Hello

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023 @775.35 »

I also see blogs as a little track record of how thoughts and opinions evolve, or a sign of how you improve at things.

I hadn't even thought about that. Future me will probably be my most passionate reader.

Previously, I was typing raw coded entries LOL. It was fun while I was doing it, but it was a bit of a pain and I was seeking somewhere that would take care of all the styling and sorting entries itself so that I could instead focus solely on writing the entries. Bearblog is cool in that I can customise the look of it myself through CSS, but I don't have to worry about formatting anything!

My site is made in notepad...

As for what I write... It's usually attempts to sort through my own thoughts, or ways to "explain" myself to myself. Updates regarding my life are common entries too, such as fun things I've been doing, cool things I've bought, or otherwise "minilogs" as I like to call them (which just means several unconnected ramblings).

That's a good way of putting it. Sometimes you don't fully understand how you feel about something, and you need someone (yourself) to explain it to you.
Daryl Sun
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023 @463.59 »

I also see blogs as a little track record of how thoughts and opinions evolve, or a sign of how you improve at things. I also appreciate that it is something people can discover if they really want, and learn stuff about me that they wouldn't think to ask or wouldn't wanna ask. It's like a little repository of how I handle stuff, some of my views and values, and surely a lot of the entries say things about me that aren't even explicitly written about. A person could write about their favorite reptiles, and something about their way of words and view on it can give you the idea that they're a neat or smart person, or the way they describe their Sunday breakfast conveys that they are a really kind person, you know? Maybe it gives strangers more content to talk to me about, or an incentive to become closer.

This is how I approach my current blog as well. Not only can I track the things I've discovered and learned over time, I also get to share my various interests with other people, and maybe start conversations.

For example, in my blog post last week, I mentioned having difficulty finding online stores that sell DRM-free music files. Four separate people, two on Discord and two on Mastodon, gave me their recommendations. Unfortunately, the websites they suggested aren't available in my country, but it's the thoughts that count!

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023 @676.82 »

I run my Tumblr like a botched diary and I've had fun in recent years looking back on my earliest posts. Even though they can be cringe, and I don't always know the context of a post, it is fun to look back on the things that were. In that sense, a blog (or an elaborate journal) is like a time capsule for a specific person. Even if people don't read your blog, I think there's an inherent biographical value to running one.
georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023 @709.69 »

I use it to get my mind off current topics surrounding my life, and to keep them archived somewhere at the same time, since my memory is not particularly strong in remembering minute and old details.

as for other people reading them, I don’t care extensively about that aspect of blogging, but giving strangers something to briefly think about is better than having entries sitting somewhere and be unseen.

I have no idea what I’m doing.
doomvega
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023 @77.58 »

I don't think anyone reads my blog except myself. It's a way for me to reflect on my day, on my actions, or w/e so I can actually remember them down the line. I have a lot of issues remembering things so it's been helpful and insightful to look back on my blog.

Atlas, Vega, or Jupi
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023 @922.84 »

I am naturally curious about other people and how they view the world. I love reading blogs I can relate and also not relate to, it's like reading random dispatches from other people's minds.

It's interesting seeing what moves people to post, whether it's like a diary entry or it's written for an audience. I like finding links out to other places on the web through blogs.

So it's only natural I have my own.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1037
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
what game do u want to play but havent yet?

Started by 2010Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 53
Views: 5711
Last post October 07, 2023 @975.13
by Scootarooni
What do you blog about?

Started by NightdriftBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 33
Views: 4794
Last post April 24, 2024 @797.50
by Klopnis

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi