Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @498.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Unity games

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unity games  (Read 768 times)
« on: January 29, 2023 @777.92 »

Has anyone else noticed that games made with the Unity engine all have a particular look or feel to them? Not that they all look alike or play the same. A huge variety of games types and art styles have been made with Unity. I can't place exactly what it is, but there's always something peculiar about them to me. Maybe it's something about the physics or the rendering. Whatever it is, it's subtle enough that I can't figure it out definitively.

I just played Oddworld Soulstorm for the first time and it gave me the same feeling as when I played Recore and a dozen other Unity games. It's always there but I don't know what "it" is.

I can't say it's a nice sense I get from them. Even if it's made by a major developer with a big publisher, something about it just feels low budget to me. (Not that low budget inherently means the game is bad, of course.)

I was just curious if this is all in my head or if anyone else gets the same feeling.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023 @808.10 »

It can have a variety of reasons, honestly.

First of all, Unity being free and there being plenty of easily accessible tutorials makes the engine extremely popular among low skilled or inexperienced developers, who often also follow the same few basic step-by-steps to implement common systems like movement, collision or lighting. That leads to a lot of "samey" feeling, low quality games where you can see the "Unity" stamp from afar. However, it's not really a matter of Unity's fault; it's what comes with having a very popular beginner engine.

People also over- and misestimate the amount of influence an engine has on the finished product. Sure, some technical aspects are going to be stronger or weaker in this or that engine, like in-built lighting capabilities, culling or support of large models, and some engines have pre-built templates for common systems like movement or collision, which means the same kinds of bugs appear in games that use the same engine, but people underestimate how much a skilled developer can bend any engine to look and behave like they want to.
thesolitarygamer
Jr. Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023 @962.26 »

Pretty much what /home/user said, honestly. I tend to notice the same but with Unreal Engine games more than anything, they have that particular 'style' that is somewhat noticeable at times-- though that could also be my imagination. I remember seeing the trailer for the SH2 remake and thinking partly through, "Oh this was made with Unreal wasn't it?". Granted, this is something less noticeable compared to Unity games, where it's a lot easier to notice such things.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023 @966.93 »

I know exactly what you mean! Unity vibe is a very constant feeling and its almost impossible to get away from it - but its also almost impossible to nail down exactly what causes it! I actually have the same issues with Unreal Engine too; I can spot a UE game instantly after a few minutes of playing with it.

It comes from the way it renders colours, the way the physics interact, the slight blur Unity always seems to have, the speed it runs at - human perception is very good at spotting weirdnesses like that.

There are a few exceptions and mitigations you can do - Using the High Res Pipeline in unity changes the overall rendering feeling - using the DOTS project actually totally replaces the rending system too (it even removes the unity splash screen on early versions), so both change the vibe a bit.

City Skylines is a famous unity game that I didn't notice was Unity at first, but once you know its Unity you can reaaallyyyy see it!

There's nothing wrong with it.. Unity is great for short smaller projects (particularly if they are collaborations) and for prototyping ideas - but I don't think I would use Unity as a production engine if I was doing a big project - feeling unique is more important than having access to every feature!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
thesolitarygamer
Jr. Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023 @971.52 »

City Skylines is a famous unity game that I didn't notice was Unity at first, but once you know its Unity you can reaaallyyyy see it!

Oh dang, for real? Never actually knew that and I've played a lot of Cities Skylines. Though also that explains a lot on why sometimes it chugs like hell on my computer, haha.

Computer performance aside, I think Melon's summed it up well. Bunch of details that add up and are very noticable once you pay attention to that sort of thing. Takes a real good developer to hide the little quirks of Unity, same goes for Unreal Engine.

Makes me excited for when engines such as Godot really take off, see how people try to work around the quirks of that one.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023 @973.24 »

but people underestimate how much a skilled developer can bend any engine to look and behave like they want to.

This is quite true. After making this topic I did a search for a Unity games list and found a lot that I never would have assumed were Unity. So smaller teams and less experienced developers must use a lot of the basic settings but those with more skill or resources can customized it more.

I actually have the same issues with Unreal Engine too; I can spot a UE game instantly after a few minutes of playing with it.

What I usually notice about Unreal Engine games is the animation is kinda stiff and the lighting is very harsh with a lot of bloom and shine.
Zusk
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: zusk

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023 @816.16 »

Most of the time when people "notice a Unity game", its usually in a derogatory way.

Nobody cares that Hearthstone is a Unity game. Hearthstone is just Hearthstone. :transport:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023 @971.28 »

It might have even been on this forum; but a few people Iv encountered don't actually know Unity is a free game engine; Iv seen people mistake it for a company that produces (or publishes) shovel-ware games - because the unity logo is at the start of SO MANY crappy games - its actually a bit of an issue if you do make games with Unity and cant afford to pay the $400 a year to remove their logo from it :drat:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023 @429.09 »

It might have even been on this forum; but a few people Iv encountered don't actually know Unity is a free game engine; Iv seen people mistake it for a company that produces (or publishes) shovel-ware games - because the unity logo is at the start of SO MANY crappy games - its actually a bit of an issue if you do make games with Unity and cant afford to pay the $400 a year to remove their logo from it :drat:

As far as I know that's intentional, because the target audience of Unity is not gamers, it's developers. They make money by selling their engine and additional content to would-be indie developers. By putting splash screens in front of unverified games, it reinforces the idea that anyone can make a game with Unity, no matter how crappy, which is just free advertisement for their target demographic.
thesolitarygamer
Jr. Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023 @992.58 »

Honestly I do hope more devs move onto something like Godot, mainly because of how Unity has been indulging in some... less than savory things lately. Specifically, them merging with a company that's made malware in the past and all that. I don't see things getting better in that front, if that's whats happening.
Scrib01
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Cutest Psychedelic Egg!

iMood: Scrib01

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Infinite Egg TortureJoined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023 @7.52 »

Honestly I do hope more devs move onto something like Godot, mainly because of how Unity has been indulging in some... less than savory things lately. Specifically, them merging with a company that's made malware in the past and all that. I don't see things getting better in that front, if that's whats happening.

It makes you wonder what Godot's feel will be! I'm sure at some point as more games are released for it there will be a specific feel for them too!
While I agree Unity's practices recently are questionable at best, I still enjoy developing for it. I tried Godot and couldn't get into the feel of it. As for Unreal, Epic aren't much better in my opinion. They've done some unsavoury things themselves. However, I'd say their steam clone isn't as bad as its built up as.
I think in a few years when Godot has been going for a while, it will be my engine. For now though, Unity. From developers I've spoken to, they're mostly of the same opinion...

"Still know nothin' 'bout me!"

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023 @244.79 »

It makes you wonder what Godot's feel will be! I'm sure at some point as more games are released for it there will be a specific feel for them too!
While I agree Unity's practices recently are questionable at best, I still enjoy developing for it. I tried Godot and couldn't get into the feel of it. As for Unreal, Epic aren't much better in my opinion. They've done some unsavoury things themselves. However, I'd say their steam clone isn't as bad as its built up as.
I think in a few years when Godot has been going for a while, it will be my engine. For now though, Unity. From developers I've spoken to, they're mostly of the same opinion...

Godot is improving a lot faster than you might think, with the release of 4.0 the new rendering is very comparable to that of Unity and even Unreal in some cases! The scripting language was given a lot of refinement, the engine's size is small, the UI is more user friendly than ever, it's easy to use, and I just can't think of a reason to use Unity! (Besides job security & Collaboration)

But at the same time I do have to consider the reasons why some devs don't make the switch, the documentation for Godot pacific C# programming is more lacking vs GDScript, the editor UI is in one window unable to be edited minus some rescaling features, you can't export to consoles unless you use a 3rd party, less tutorials, etc.

Even if you still end up continuing with Unity, I'm sure you will still be able to make good games... Sometimes even great ones!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023 @249.63 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4028
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1147
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1460
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi