Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @434.18 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Do you think that our chosen characters suggests/reflects something about us?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you think that our chosen characters suggests/reflects something about us?  (Read 956 times)
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: February 01, 2023 @957.55 »

Maybe there's some kind of interesting psychology behind it?

I had the sudden idea of doing a fun experiment and collect images of my main characters from fighting games I've played over the years, to see if they have anything in common. To my surprise, despite being unaware of it, it seems they have!

https://imgur.com/a/cN1hYQJ

So, uh, there's quite in common between them. Should I be scared?

How do we choose the characters that we do? Do we have a certain tendency for looks, perceived personality, gameplay-style, etc? And why?

---

You can create your own collage on desktop using:

https://www.befunky.com/create/collage/

You can drag images straight from any website, right click-EDIT on cells to increase image size, upload to imgur or other.

It doesn't specifically have to be fighting games characters, maybe other her:ha:role-based games, maybe it could be your own creations, or simply ones that you consider your favorites!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023 @959.03 by WingsOfImagination » Logged

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023 @972.77 »

I very, very rarely play fighting games or other genres where you choose from a pre-made cast, so I can't exactly pull the same experiment as you. But I do play a lot of games with custom character creation, and I do in fact have a collage of my characters, and it's, well.

Pretty telling, I think. :cheesy:

(Just because it's been a topic of confusion before, I have to routinely disclaim that none of the characters pictured are men x) )

https://files.catbox.moe/5fnbx4.jpg

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023 @994.53 »

This is a cool idea! I don't have a collage (yet).. and Im not sure I have many screenshots of old custom characters, but Ill have a think.

But you are totally right that this is a very big deal from a personality-games perspective; the character you play as in a game is not just a reflection of your personality; it literally is your personality. When you are playing as a game character, you become that character and they become you, and that connection stays with you even after you stop playing (Thats called embodiment in game design).

So Id say that you choose a character based on yourself.. but the character also chooses you.. and the person that you become together changes you, and informs what you'll choose (and who you'll become) in the future :grin: (This is also why cosplay is such a big deal for many people).

Personally I think its one of the most interesting bits of gaming, because it really merges game design and philosophy in a very down to earth way that everyone experiences!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023 @46.34 »

But you are totally right that this is a very big deal from a personality-games perspective; the character you play as in a game is not just a reflection of your personality; it literally is your personality. When you are playing as a game character, you become that character and they become you, and that connection stays with you even after you stop playing (Thats called embodiment in game design).

So Id say that you choose a character based on yourself.. but the character also chooses you.. and the person that you become together changes you, and informs what you'll choose (and who you'll become) in the future :grin: (This is also why cosplay is such a big deal for many people).

I wonder, is it really now? Or is there something even deeper going on...

I mean - could I, as I am right now, relate to these characters? Probably not by much. When I look at these chosen imaginary warriors, what's their type? They give me the feeling between "Play with your prey" to "You're barely even worth my time". Would I act the same in their position and powers?

In real life I'm not arrogant, completely confident, indifferent, elegant, brutal, focused or strong willed as they are. Do they have some qualities that I strive for or admire? Maybe yes. But some of them are also the complete opposite of what I wish for myself.

So, maybe I'm simply attracted to this kind of personality? Uh, I'm not sure if I'll ever be willing to marry any of these female characters. I highly prefer empathetic, sweet, shy, well-mannered and warm :blush:

Does it correlate with other types of media I choose to consume? Now that's getting complicated... my most loved genres are either horror - or the most wholesome, flowery, cute and pure hand-holding story stuff you can find. Contradiction in itself. Maybe it is the combination of them both? Of elegance and brutality, of childish play but cold indifference, arrogant yet well-mannered... A type of fear that is not grotesque but inviting.

But wait! If my personality is one to love this kind of stuff, to be fascinated by it, then isn't it my personality then after all?! And maybe in turn they reinforce my attachment to these qualities?!

There's some serious psychological shenanigans going on here I'm telling you!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2023 @52.95 by WingsOfImagination » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023 @74.70 »

Hmmm; well lets keep it limited to games because I think games are a bit different to other media and if we add too much to the mix it'll get too complex!

Embodying something does not necessarily mean that we aspire to be that thing; for example, I loved Vice City when I was little.. but does that mean I wanted to be a middle-aged Italian American driving a tank around blowing up pedestrians in real life? No! :tongue:

Its not about whats right or wrong, or what we want to be, or don't want to be; its about what we need to explore - we play to fill in the gaps of information that we don't have (thats why play is so important, its how we learn, particularly as kids).

I would actually say its more common for people to play as characters that are opposite to their real life selves; because that allows us to learn about being someone we don't understand; the point is that you don't fully relate to them.. but you recognise that they have something you are missing and you want to fill that void! Perhaps its more like a a yin-yang relationship :grin:

maybe I'm simply attracted to this kind of personality? Uh, I'm not sure if I'll ever be willing to marry any of these female characters
This is a question that comes up in my mind a lot too - do we try to embody characters and things that we are attracted to? I guess thats a whole topic in itself.. what is attraction? - but I think you kinda answer it the same way I would; no we don't do that - the qualities we find interesting to embody are more about what we want from ourselves, rather than what we want from others!
Do you play any games like HarvestMoon that have in-game marriage? If so what kinds of characters do you pick as in-game romances?

Would I act the same in their position and powers?
I don't think you would act the same if you really were them! and thats exactly why you pick those characters :ha:

Thats a very neat bit of phycology from me though and I might be TOTALY wrong; but it kinda feels right.. at least right now; Id love to hear further thoughts though!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023 @82.05 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023 @140.02 »

Good points. I did not think about it this way and it definitely sounds like this approach may have some truth to it in the context of this thread.

I did not play HarvestMoon and honestly I found it a bit hard to get into in-game romances in general. However I think I would most likely choose the same personalities as I would in real life as I always adored those characters too. More accurately, they may be my first, main pursuits while the mentioned other type would be in my secondary playthroughs because I would be very curious! Honestly the interactions could be very interesting :eyes:

I think that physical features of the characters do play a role (and therefore attraction) and it gets even a few layers more complex when it's about the depiction of the sex you're attracted to. There might be a weight between personality and physical appearance when choosing a character. And about the sex you're not attracted to? I believe there's still some complex physical preferences which goes beyond just your basic facial symmetry. Sometimes you even think that inhuman character is just cool, stylish looking, and that's another set of preferences and layers of reasons.

I don't think I could even pinpoint my own exact physical preferences in real life even though I kind of tried to. There's a general direction, but always minor inconsistencies, nothing fits into a box.

But doesn't it feel like it still begs the question, why them in particular? I feel like it's possible for me to apply the same logic you suggested to other characters within the rosters of those games. Yet I don't feel as drawn to them.

Oh, and then there's the gameplay layer which surely takes part in this. It's a big spaghetti. We must go even deeper Melon.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023 @150.10 by WingsOfImagination » Logged

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023 @475.50 »

You know, I've been thinking a lot about this topic. Why do I play the characters that I play, do they represent me or my tastes or something else entirely, etc. For me, I think, it's a weird mix. My characters are kind of what I lack, kinda what I'd dream to be (in terms of personality characteristics and maybe partially appearance), kind of what brings me catharsis in media, so you know, like Melon said, filling in the gaps.

But they are also an empowerment fantasy, in a way? Built on top of what's already there?

Like, not to expose myself too much here, but I have this fun combo of, on one hand, being stubborn and confrontational and having some mild anger issues, BUT, on the other hand, being an anxious wreck with rejection sensitivity dysphoria or whatever that's called. Put in simple words - I'll be angry about something, I'll be seething, I'll have the harshest opinions on how the situation should be dealt with - but then I'll be too anxious or irrationally afraid of emotional backlash to actually EXPRESS all of that. (Unless, of course, I'm especially fed up, or am explicitly on my turf, but I think that one's universal).

So what are my characters? Well, they wary, 'cause their stories are different and different personalities make sense in their plots, but, you know. They are strong, they command respect (or fear), they are warriors (I play exclusively close-combat wherever I might. In your face, punch-punch). A lot of them are angry, explosive, some of them (shall it be appropriate to their story) can be downright cruel or completely dismissive of law and authority. A lot of them are anti-heroes who do good stuff while taking no crap from anyone, too. It's nice to temporarily get out of a body of an anxious angry crier who was raised too much a decent person by their parents and mercilessly punch imaginary people through walls instead for a couple of hours.

(that's also why I often play on easy mode - I don't want a challenge, I want to feel like a force of nature ehehe)

Like, I don't think if you'd remove the aforementioned anxiety and other factors from my life then I'd immediately become a destructive criminal or whatever, but as the case is now - yes, my characters fill in gaps, but these gaps aren't really opposite to everything of me. Rather they are a manifestation of some deeper hunger for certain things I am unable to express.

Also a lot of these characters have, like, you know. An apartment and a career? :cheesy: And a relationship. Now those are gaps to be filled!

Speaking of which, now, a lot of my in-game romances I think are very indicative of something. Not nessecarily of a particular personality or appearance I'd like in a partner (I have a feeling I'd be too intimidated by them and they'd be too bored with me), but rather a certain dynamic of a relationship development. Eh, maybe one day :grin:

(OH and my characters are definitely highly representative of my personal gender expression. I mean look at them.)

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023 @870.84 »

I do very much like these thoughts! Very good analysis. They all also do seem to follow a common theme! Very similar types.

I also prefer close and personal kind of warriors, nothing like a good bonk from a melee weapon or fist. I wonder if this preference is also indicative of some specific similarities between us? :unite:

Oh, and I forgot I have a Nioh 2 installation on my PC. I also have a created one! My created character:

https://imgur.com/a/pz424OY

Yep, still consistent! :ozwomp:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023 @855.21 by WingsOfImagination » Logged

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023 @939.76 »

I mostly choose based on gameplay that I like (for example in Smash Donkey Kong, Bowser and Ridley), but in games where I have to choose based on aesthetics I usually either choose androgynous smaller characters like Toad, Shy Guy and so on, or the characters who I feel are played rarely by mainstream people, to stand out.
RodFireProductions
Jr. Member ⚓︎

🍄🖤🐀

StatusCafe: rodfire8181
iMood: rodfire8181

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023 @973.97 »

I barely ever play fightings games or games that allow to both see and customize/pick your character, but I decided to make a collage myself. Seemed fun.

For games where you pick a premade character, I tend to lean towards aesthetics and personality first. If the gameplay isn't unbearable with that character, I tend to stick with them mostly. I do tend to play other characters though, definitely is I like the others gameplay better.

For games that allow you customize your own character, how I make them look really depends on the game and genre. If it's more slice of life, I tend to make them look like an alternate version of myself. If it's basically anything else, I just chose what I think the coolest or most aesthetically pleasing thing to me is.

If I'm forced to look at and follow a character the whole time, I wanna at least like them for who they are and how they look.

we art, web dev, and game dev
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023 @10.30 »

I tend to pick the goofy funny characters: for instance, some of my mains are King Dedede (Smash Bros.), Joker (MK11) and Faust (Guilty Gear Strive). This tracks because when I play games I put the focus on fun above winning and would rather play fun character than a good character (although I definitely take great pride in winning with the goofiest characters out there :evil: ). It helps that in most games 'tiers' only really become relevant at high levels of play, and even then just playing this type of character can trip people up because they don't expect/know how to deal with it. So yes, the characters I play definitely say something about me :ozwomp:

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023 @852.52 »

My pick on Smash Bros is Ness, mostly because when I started playing, that was the only character I had no idea about!  :omg: I knew of the others by my friends' games or by reading Nintendo magazines, but I never saw that boy before. Earthbound had NEVER been released in Europe (until fairly recently, and only for the Virtual Console!) and of course, I never heard of it. So I became fascinated with him, and then Earthbound, and then I "researched" it (aka read the Wikipedia page for it) and eventually learned I could play it via... ahem, dark magic...  :grin: :ziped:  :wink: But yeah. Earthbound, and by association Ness, became less of a game and more of an experience, the one of discovering the mysterious game the mysterious boy with psychic powers came from, and that's why it means a lot to me.  :4u:

My pick on any multiplayer Mario game (the holy trio, Party, Kart and Sports) is Birdo. Once again, it was a character unknown to me when I started playing (Mario Kart Double Dash), and I liked Yoshi from before (I think everybody loves Yoshi), so the idea to play as a "girl Yoshi" was very appealing to me  :loved: . I also loved her weirdest traits (her trumpet snout, her voice...). Nowadays, I love Birdo for being such an interesting design with quite the story attached to her (not just transgender, but also started out as a villain!), which I think allowed her to stray away from just being a plain femenine design, resulting in something quite unique.  :transport:  :ozwomp:

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023 @899.65 »

When I play Dissidia I usually pick Cecil Harvey when I have a choice. Not sure what that says about me aside from that I like characters who look like refugees from visual kei or hair metal bands.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
akesi
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2023 @193.24 »

my main characters from fighting games I've played

oh my god this is how i learn there's an umineko fighting game lmao

anyway my one related story is that back in elementary school i remember noticing that one of my friends always picked like the girl characters and then a decade or so later she came out as trans. t'was a big "woah that was foreshadowing" moment

personally from my experience, i've always noticed that the characters my friends main in smash bros/rivals of aether/lethal league always reflects their personalities, both in terms of character design and play styles. like, the mom friend of my friend group plays support/the healer in every moba. stuff like that
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023 @211.23 »

personally from my experience, i've always noticed that the characters my friends main in smash bros/rivals of aether/lethal league always reflects their personalities, both in terms of character design and play styles. like, the mom friend of my friend group plays support/the healer in every moba. stuff like that

When my wife and I play top-down/isometric action RPGs that support couch coop, she usually chooses a melee fighter class and I'm usually an archer. She likes to get in the enemies' faces, and I'm more of a sniper. I usually end up healing her, too. If she ever gets into Final Fantasy XIV she'll probably be either a tank main or a melee DPS main, and I'll have to play healer when playing with her. Luckily I'm a tank/healer main.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I'm thinking of making a blog

Started by MrsMoeBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 3
Views: 1233
Last post July 16, 2023 @208.53
by starbreaker
Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 55
Views: 5221
Last post April 10, 2024 @574.35
by Misanthropic Monster™
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3848
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi