Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @81.61 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 919.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Any interest in a guide to getting started with web accessibility?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Any interest in a guide to getting started with web accessibility?  (Read 1895 times)
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2024 @58.50 »

Another yes vote from me! And great job on your start! I can't wait to see more as you add to it.

My favorite resources are currently Solaria's guide and the HTML semantics cheat sheet.

larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2024 @75.87 »

Yes, I would love to see this. As a still somewhat beginner webmaster I've been slowly adding in some accessibility features like mobile compatibility to some pages + alt text for some images as I have time. I found that article that Melon shared insightful- for example, my site is very visual in that it focuses on graphics and my art, so would it even be interesting to most blind people? Or would it just be annoying to listen to a bunch of image descriptions of furry art in a row?  :omg:  :drat:   I'd still like to learn more and keep adding accessibility features so that my site is at least an option to people with various disabilities, if they do choose to visit.

the end of an era, one starts anew
Sara Joy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2024 @461.04 »

my site is very visual in that it focuses on graphics and my art, so would it even be interesting to most blind people? Or would it just be annoying to listen to a bunch of image descriptions of furry art in a row?
Don't undersell yourself, I bet you'd be able to describe those images in really interesting ways! One of my thoughts for this guide is that alt text doesn't need to be bland. If the picture is emotive, or a bit sexy, or funny - the alt text can be too :)

Another yes vote from me! And great job on your start! I can't wait to see more as you add to it.

My favorite resources are currently Solaria's guide and the HTML semantics cheat sheet.
Oh these are amazing! That guide from solaria is already great, lol, what am I even doing :drat: - will certainly be linking to both of those.

:mark: There's now a second page!: https://whimsica11y.net/disability/  :goL:

I'm rethinking the whole time as I am adding. Probably be a lot of shuffling as I go. I'm very open to questions and criticism as I go along, as long as people are mindful that I'm not trying to write out the entirety of the WCAG guidelines, that document and the W3C-WAI resources are already very good - just "too much" and that can put people off.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024 @908.13 by Sara Joy » Logged
Sara Joy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2024 @941.56 »

Added some more, should anyone want to take a look :)

I'm mostly authoring on my phone between work and parental duties, so it's a little slapdash and off the top of my head right now.

The questions and experiences from this thread will definitely inform me as I write and refine, so thank you all again!

I remain open to any questions or criticisms of what is there so far :)

https://whimsica11y.net
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2024 @34.68 »

That guide from solaria is already great, lol, what am I even doing :drat:

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful  :wink:

This is exciting! I've been checking in on your page and watching the progress your progress. It's like I'm watching it being built in real time and it's very cool.

From checking in, the hue thing is new, that's really neat. I also like that you list specific examples of what features are considered accessible, for people who may not know. The Testing page is also useful, laying out techniques and listing the names of screen reader software.

You said you were open to criticism, so here's some thoughts I had about the titled Disability. In the phrase "In order to understand better how we can help people with disabilities," do you think the word "include" may sound more suitable than "help"? Because when we make accessible personal websites, we're not "helping" people get something they need, instead we're offering a seat at the table. We also don't want to sound like we're assuming that the people interacting with the page aren't disabled themselves.

But these are just tiny wording nitpicks, informed by what I've been reading on the subject of disabiliy (mainly the book Demystifying Disability and Eric Bailey's blog - if you have any book/blog recommendations on a11y or accessibility in general please drop them by the way).

Your idea of making a guide specifically for silly hobbyist web spaces is going to be very helpful in the long run, I've been looking for stuff like this. I am so excited to see it grow and hope to use it myself

Also, I saw a link to your personal page at the very bottom of the site, and just wanted to say it's indeed very whimsical. There's so much cool stuff to dig into! Especially the ASCII art of the old boyfriend, loved it  :grin:  :grin: Both the basic and main versions are nice to look at. & also made me realize you're the person behind CSS Joy, I've seen that going around - very neat.

Sara Joy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2024 @861.25 »

In the phrase "In order to understand better how we can help people with disabilities," do you think the word "include" may sound more suitable than "help"? Because when we make accessible personal websites, we're not "helping" people get something they need, instead we're offering a seat at the table. We also don't want to sound like we're assuming that the people interacting with the page aren't disabled themselves.

Aaahhhh thank you! I've had a bit of a busy time, I need to get back to the content :)

That's a totally valid wording nitpick and I'm going to change it asap.

I think I've also decided I'm going to do away with the separate 'guide' and 'testing' and maybe just call it all 'guide' but incorporate or start with the testing method for each case I cover, so that people can immediately see what's up, then I'll go on with tips to fix the issues found. I won't be able to cover absolutely everything, so I need to give people an actionable place to start... 🤔

And thank you so much re your other comments, I'm blushing
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2024 @959.42 »

Will be following with interest! I too am curious about learning about catering to different types of disabilities in web design. So far, I have been following the guidelines of the Accessible Net webring as a reference.
Sara Joy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2024 @888.65 »

Will be following with interest! I too am curious about learning about catering to different types of disabilities in web design. So far, I have been following the guidelines of the Accessible Net webring as a reference.

The rules listed there are very good, and not too much at once. Saves the overwhelm - thank you!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GUIDE: Melon's Simple X3D World Tutorial

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 5
Views: 4537
Last post February 17, 2022 @637.75
by demonologi
I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1287
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 2
Views: 3903
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi