Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @133.99
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :cry: Are u having fun? Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  © ∙ Music
| | |-+  Musicians of Melonland, how do you do it?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Musicians of Melonland, how do you do it?  (Read 1253 times)
BlazingCobaltX
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Spring, 05 Mar 2025 @986 » Embed

Here's my deal: Music writing is not all that hard, but what really gets me is producing it. Here I have all this expensive equipment accumulated over time to record and mix my own music... Only to realise I completely loathe the process. Something about twisting knobs in Ableton just doesn't feel like making music to me. Analog mixing for a live performance is much more satisfying, but rarely yields a decent recording (at least in my limited experience).

I just spent 12 hours recording and mixing a one-minute jingle, which took all my energy and brought me no transferable skills. And so I turn to my senior musicians on Melonland to ask: Is (amateur) music production always this long and tedious, or is there something I'm completely missing? Whether you've done music production as an amateur or professional, I am curious to hear about your workflow and experiences.

And honestly... If anyone is confident in their production skills, I would love to collab. I have a lot of materials and it would be a waste to do nothing with it.

Logged

https://blazingcobaltx.neocities.org/images/arceus.png
angelhanachi
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


making nu metal in 14/4 time cuz I'm bored
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
PicMix: angel_hanachi

Artifacts:
Ribbon of FriendshipJoined 2025!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 07 Mar 2025 @812 » Toggle Font Embed

For me, I'm not really sure. I just happen to listen to a VIOLENTLY DRASTIC variety of music and my autism just goes wheeeeee and starts imagining shit. And with that shit I imagine, I hop into FL Studio and start going dumb.

Is (amateur) music production always this long and tedious
Oh yeah, and to reply to this, very much yes. It takes a lot of time and precise focus at least for me but it's always worth it if you know what you're trying to do, whether or not you have a full vision in mind at the time you're working on it. You just have to make sure everything falls into place, one by one. I used to spend hours on a short melody too, eventually I became able to complete 8min+ songs within a day or two. It's all about finding yourself and where you stand musically.

« Last Edit: Spring, 07 Mar 2025 @837 by angelhanachi » Logged

BE KIND TO PEOPLE WHO TRY TO PISS YOU OFF
https://yumekawahanachi.neocities.org/dissectbunny/scissors.pnghttps://yumekawahanachi.neocities.org/dissectbunny/thread.pnghttps://yumekawahanachi.neocities.org/button.gifhttps://yumekawahanachi.neocities.org/dissectbunny/bandageroll.pnghttps://yumekawahanachi.neocities.org/dissectbunny/bandaidbox.png
SCARE THE SHIT OUTTA THEM NOW
Audball
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


WOE BE TO THOSE WHO SEE!!!
⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
iMood: audball

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 07 Mar 2025 @844 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm by no means a "professional" at this stuff (nor do I even really see myself as that GOOD, but I get by), but for me the hardest part about the production side of things is I always find myself becoming quite the perfectionist with it.

I'll be sitting there tweaking compressors and EQs for hours and hours just because one tiny little frequency is there when I don't want it to be, or maybe one isn't there Enough, or both! Same with anything ranging from panning, reverb, overall volume, etc.

It gets far less tedious and boring when I force myself to let go of more of that and just try to get my things more to a "passable" place than outright perfect. (Not to say that you are a perfectionist! This is just speaking from my own experiences. :grin: ) Sometimes I go as far as to limit the "quality" of the things I am using. i.e. Instead of using one of those equalizers that shows a live feed of the sound and those funky graph lines you can play with, I'll use one that just has the three "Bass, Mid, Treble" knobs and see if I can get it to a kinda-okay place.

Having someone to pass it back and forth with can also help but I know for many that's not a possibility.

Quote
Something about twisting knobs in Ableton just doesn't feel like making music to me. Analog mixing for a live performance is much more satisfying, but rarely yields a decent recording (at least in my limited experience).

Very real. You can feel quite disconnected when it's all on computers. :ohdear:

Take all I have said with big grain of salt tho, because as I said earlier I'm by no means professional at all at this, I am a goober who piddles around in Ableton Live a lot.

Logged

~~~"On some nights, nights when it is very quiet,
and we feel as if no one is watching, we breathe life back
into what we once had and sometimes those bones stand right up,
walk around, and dance for just a bit."~~~
~Adam Gnade, After Tonight, Everything Will Be Different
https://audball.neocities.org/signature2.gif
~~~"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."~~~
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Slaughterhouse Five
BlazingCobaltX
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 14 Mar 2025 @930 » Embed

I'm somewhat glad to hear the experiences are similar. It makes the 12-hour production marathon sound less like a complete outlier.

You make a good point Audball. Another example of making things complicated for myself is using a program like Izotope Neutron. It listens to the song and gives you the best possible setting. I use that function, and then still tweak around trying to make things better (I am indeed also a perfectionist). Admittedly, I don't even know what I should be listening for sometimes.

Using just the three-knob equalizer is a good solution. It's closer to analog mixing like that, too. I do get overwhelmed by the tremendous amount of options in a DAW, so much that I can't even begin to build a simple workflow. It makes the work of ARIatHOME look like magic to me.

Logged

https://blazingcobaltx.neocities.org/images/arceus.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe