Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @84.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 916.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Flash/Ruffle creation tools?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flash/Ruffle creation tools?  (Read 565 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: July 30, 2023 @73.28 »

I wasn’t sure whether to put this here or in the game dev forum, but I decided on here because I would want to make Flash stuff for more than just games.

So yeah, you have authoring tools for HTML and very high level game engines nowadays, but I can’t for the life of me find anything similar for Flash stuff, much less anything free and open source. I don’t even remember the name of the commercial one I tried to use back in the day!

Anyone know of any engines or good authorings tools to make Flash content? I’m fine with learning how to learn some coding if need be.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Spots
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023 @891.13 »

I used to make Flash animations and I always just used various versions of Flash Professional, mostly Macromedia Flash Professional 8 and Adobe Animate. I'm not sure if modern versions of Adobe Animate can be used for Flash development anymore, but older versions of Flash and Animate can be used to make animations and games. As far as open source stuff goes, you might want to look into Haxe and OpenFL if you haven't already. I haven't used either of them, but apparently OpenFL can export to Flash and mimics the old Flash API, if my understanding is correct. It seems like there are a lot of old Flash developers in the Haxe community, so that might be a good place to get more information.

Here are some links that might be helpful:
Haxe homepage: https://haxe.org/
Haxe Flash page: https://haxe.org/manual/target-flash.html
OpenFL homepage: https://www.openfl.org/

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023 @810.96 »

I'm not sure if modern versions of Adobe Animate can be used for Flash development anymore, but older versions of Flash and Animate can be used to make animations and games. As far as open source stuff goes, you might want to look into Haxe and OpenFL if you haven't already. I haven't used either of them, but apparently OpenFL can export to Flash and mimics the old Flash API, if my understanding is correct. It seems like there are a lot of old Flash developers in the Haxe community, so that might be a good place to get more information.

I installed OpenFL, and sure enough, it uses Flash, and export to swf! This is fantastic!

Somehow, I couldn't find anything like this when I looked, guess I'm not as good at looking stuff up as I thought...

Do you happen to know how I can make Shockwave stuff? I remember playing 3D browser games back in the early 2000s, but only realised yesterday that Flash itself didn't support 3D until 2006, and the 3D games I played before then were Shockwave.

Spots
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023 @898.98 »

Do you happen to know how I can make Shockwave stuff? I remember playing 3D browser games back in the early 2000s, but only realised yesterday that Flash itself didn't support 3D until 2006, and the 3D games I played before then were Shockwave.

I'm not sure about Shockwave. It looks like Adobe Director was the program for making Shockwave content, but it's discontinued now. Other than digging up an old copy of Director, I don't know of any other engines or frameworks for Shockwave content. Flash was definitely much more popular than Shockwave and I don't think I ever played many Shockwave games, so I don't know much about it in general.

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023 @23.25 »

I'm not sure about Shockwave. It looks like Adobe Director was the program for making Shockwave content, but it's discontinued now. Other than digging up an old copy of Director, I don't know of any other engines or frameworks for Shockwave content. Flash was definitely much more popular than Shockwave and I don't think I ever played many Shockwave games, so I don't know much about it in general.

Yeah, I was able to download 8.5 and install it on my own laptops and on my Ubuntu daily driver via wine. I'll have to learn how to use that.

Thanks for introducing me to OpenFL, though!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Post your Lego Creations here!

Started by NeonriserBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 7
Views: 2531
Last post November 21, 2023 @291.50
by wetnoodle
Sunny's Creation Corner (eyestrain/horror)

Started by dokodemoBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 4
Views: 2526
Last post December 05, 2021 @138.92
by cinni
Indie/obscure games with good character creation?

Started by tarraxahumBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 4
Views: 840
Last post January 28, 2023 @907.95
by Corrupted Unicorn

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi