Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @560.44 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 24/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: adjusting site elements for different resolutions

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: adjusting site elements for different resolutions  (Read 585 times)
andou
Casual Poster ⚓︎

i stinky

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: andou

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 15, 2023 @672.00 »

i am very new to making websites. mine is basically held together with glue and tape. lots of googling and looking at other peoples websites is how i made mine. i sort of... HALF understand a lot of things. the code is a MESS. if you use view page source on this page you'll see what i mean.

that said, i was wondering if a very kind and patient soul could help me with what i'm sure is a simple fix!

when you view my site on 1920 x 1080, as designed, it looks like this:

however, it looks like this on my ultra wide monitor:

and like this if you make the window small:

how do i make it so everything adjusts on its own for other resolutions? i'm sure this is a simple fix - i just wasn't sure what to google!

urgellx

Lost on the web

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023 @675.41 »

Hello, quick reply to show you this parameter in the "style" portion of the html header :

@media all and (min-width:200px) and (max-width: 1000px) {
anything you want to adjust for min width 200 and max width 1000
}

Hope this helps. It's a bit of a hack but it works.

You can also use "somethingvw" as a width, to adapt depending on the size of the screen.

Héhé, écoute, derrière y'avait pas mal de vent.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023 @687.75 »

I don't have an easy fix for you but I can explain whats going wrong!

You've positioned your two content boxes relative the edge of your browser; so as the browser size changes your boxes will move with the edge of the window - sometimes too big, sometimes too small  :drat:

Traditionally; Id describe your site design as a "float" site; since your using two floating boxes. This is a pretty well established design style, but it can also be reallllyyy a head wrecker for new web crafters (it was for me).

The best suggestion I can offer is to put everything in a wrapper div, then give that div a fixed width; and make it "position; relative" - that way your inner boxes will be relative to the wrapper box size, not your browser window size.

Loose example:
Code
<body>
<div id="wrappper" style="width: 1000px; margin: auto; position: relative;">
  YOUR OLD CODE GOES HERE
</div>
</body>

There are also other ways to create grids and boxes on sites; but this is the most classic that will give you the style your going for. Click those links and read up a bit on it; you can figure it out!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
andou
Casual Poster ⚓︎

i stinky

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: andou

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023 @703.46 »

I don't have an easy fix for you but I can explain whats going wrong!

You've positioned your two content boxes relative the edge of your browser; so as the browser size changes your boxes will move with the edge of the window - sometimes too big, sometimes too small  :drat:
oh god, my website is like a hydra. i fix one problem and three more pop up in its place  :tnt:

this has helped me a lot figuring out where i need to troubleshoot and adjust things! i think with a little bit of fooling around i'll be able to get it fixed! thank you so much!

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023 @761.55 »

CSS Grid might be a good way to fix your layout and make it usable across multiple devices.

This little game might help teach the basics. https://cssgridgarden.com/

A guide to learning CSS grid: https://learncssgrid.com/

CSS Tricks' complete guide to CSS grid: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/complete-guide-grid/

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 287
Views: 29375
Last post October 09, 2024 @729.26
by TheFrugalGamer
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 6649
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 4057
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi