Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @148.32 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 852.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: Tips on learning PHP (and MySQL)?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: Tips on learning PHP (and MySQL)?  (Read 814 times)
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 10, 2023 @664.32 »

Hello! I've been quite content with my HTML, CSS and JavaScript progress thus far and I wanted to try something different; that being PHP and MySQL.

My current ultimate goal is to figure out how to make an account management system, but I would like to check out anything cool that is possible with PHP with the addition of MySQL in general. I just don't have any examples to use as references.

I want to start off with making small/easy projects and force myself to learn by increasing the difficulty the more I delve into something over time. That is usually how I tend to study something new. :grin:

Do you have any tips or recommendations on what I could try out first? Any good tutorials I could check out? I prefer reading text to watching videos, but anything would be awesome as an introduction.

Also, I should note that all my research is often done through online resources. I cannot attend any short of special classes for the time being and I am not the best with books either. :tongue:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023 @720.46 »

A nice little starter project (after learning the absolute basics) is an website visitor counter. Build a basic, simple one, then add functionality, like filtering out IPs, generating statistics, etc.

Also, a little browser game is a great way to learn php in the long run - shouldn't be your first project, though.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023 @799.05 »

The first thing I'd say is don't treat MySQL as an afterthought; its its own language, with its own deep complexities. If you know how to design a good MySQL database it can completely define and change the way you design your PHP - there are people who's whole careers are just designing MySQL databases!

Second Id totally agree with Thunder, picking a project is always the best way to learn something. I was gonna suggest something a lille more complex; like making your own mini social network (That will teach you the pain of user accounts and input validation); but maybe a counter is a more practical first step  :tongue:

I would recommend following a course to get the fundamentals figured out (Particularly if this is your first programming language outright) - after that I'd try studying and reworking other peoples code to learn how the build their PHP sites!

For example; this is the minecraft ping code that this forum uses; I had to rework it a lot, but it might be fun for you to try pinging some minecraft servers and logging the data in a mysql database! https://github.com/xPaw/PHP-Minecraft-Query

Id also suggest making something like a PHP 88x31 button maker; that would not be tooo complex, but it would give you a really cool thing to put on your site and it would tell you a lot about generating images in PHP!

Good luck!  :ha:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 2082
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!
My system's doing a con panel on web design, any tips or suggestions?

Started by xX_irkeneonz_XxBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 2
Views: 1391
Last post May 27, 2022 @570.76
by xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Request Tips and Feedback on your site

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 13
Views: 2411
Last post August 02, 2024 @852.73
by candycanearter07

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi