Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @462.41 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 53/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Tape Deck Repair Tips

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tape Deck Repair Tips  (Read 555 times)
nsequeira119
Casual Poster

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: February 13, 2023 @410.97 »

One of the best things about tape decks or VCRs- any tape-based appliance, really- is that their design is very intuitive and simple, such that even a relative novice who doesn't know much about technology can probably repair one in their spare time. I've repaired several of my tape appliances by hand with just a few simple fixes. Information on how to fix your VCR or deck by hand on the Internet is surprisingly sparse, which is strange considering fixing a VCR is a lot easier than coding with Raspberry Pi or whatever. 

Right now, both my tape deck and VCR are in for repairs at a local electronics shop for tune ups and adjustments- this is because I'm planning a lot of cassette and VHS releases in the near future, and want to be sure my recording equipment is in top shape by then. Even so, I'm fairly confident that I'm at a point where if my tape deck isn't working, I can disassemble it and get a decent idea of what's going on inside- whether the heads need alignment, or a belt slipped, or whatever. All one needs to do is look.

What are some of your best tips and tricks when dealing with a VCR or tape deck? Here's one of my favorites to start this thread off with: If your VCR ever "eats" your tape (meaning that the plastic shell of the tape will eject, but the tape itself is stuck in the machine) all you need to do is unplug the machine, reach in with both index fingers, lift the tape up on the inside, and then raise it over the drum (the big metallic cylinder in back that scans the tape). This always works! A lot of VHS-haters complain about their machines "eating" their tapes- but that only actually happens around 0.00001% of the time- and even if it ever does, the actual solution is mindbogglingly simple!

What underrated tape repair tricks would you recommend? 

Aw HECK yeah!
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023 @947.92 »

Honestly, one thing that helps these devices continue to function is to keep using them.

My VCR had problems rewinding longer (and by extension heavier) tapes, it always gave an error code when it tried, so it was a pain to make mixtapes. It still played videos just fine, so decided to watch some pre-recorded tapes I have of my favourite films, and a week later after watching a film every night, it started rewinding longer tapes again. The problem fixed itself!

A piece of advice I can give for audio tapes is if you find they're being played slower than they should be, stop the player and take the tape out, and try winding it by hand. If you feel it's stuck or otherwise difficult to do so, put the tape back in the deck, fast forward the tape all the way to the end, and rewinds back again (my deck keeps track of where the tape started, so I make it wind back to there), and then try winding by hand again, if there's still some resistance, flip the tape over, and repeat the process. That should loosen it up enough.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023 @432.97 »

Hm... my broken video cassette recorders had too many problems with the electronics. Nothing I can get my hands on. One even had a capacitor leak so badly, that thick clouds of smoke evapourated from it, like a fog machine. That even stank after two days!

I'd love to say, just replace it with one from the scrap, which would probably still be functional. But the fortuneate days of abandoned VCRs standing by the street will have gone in a couple of years.

Audio Cassette decks are easier to fix I think. If the rewinding the tape doesn't work properly, then the belts have aged too much and gotten too long. I've heard about someone "cooking" the rubber belts in hot water, making them shrink slightly, adding some tension. But I found it more reliable to buy some new belts.
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023 @664.51 »

...I've heard about someone "cooking" the rubber belts in hot water, making them shrink slightly, adding some tension. But I found it more reliable to buy some new belts

Yikes! That's taking thriftiness to the extreme...and this is coming from someone who has "frugal" in her name! I'd also just go with new, though I guess it's good to know in case they ever stop being available?

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023 @71.62 »

Hm... my broken video cassette recorders had too many problems with the electronics. Nothing I can get my hands on.

I'd love to say, just replace it with one from the scrap, which would probably still be functional. But the fortuneate days of abandoned VCRs standing by the street will have gone in a couple of years.

Yeah, it kind of sucks VCRs aren’t even being made any more. Hopefully people will start making aftermarket parts for them. Somehow.

I'd also just go with new, though I guess it's good to know in case they ever stop being available?
I can’t imagine they will in a very long time, with cassettes rising in popularity again and such.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1743
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!
My system's doing a con panel on web design, any tips or suggestions?

Started by xX_irkeneonz_XxBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 2
Views: 1122
Last post May 27, 2022 @570.76
by xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Request Tips and Feedback on your site

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 12
Views: 1815
Last post August 07, 2022 @475.80
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi