Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @648.51 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 55/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  Olia Lialina talk (One Terabyte of a Kilobyte Age) - this thursday 16th

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Olia Lialina talk (One Terabyte of a Kilobyte Age) - this thursday 16th  (Read 759 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: February 14, 2023 @795.59 »

Ten years of One Terabyte of a Kilobyte Age - Thursday 16th 2023

Rhizome arts group - "hosting a special office hours this week <3 ~ artists Olia Lialina and Dragan Espenschied will talk about their experience with One Terabyte of a Kilobyte Age - including different GeoCities design styles, a showcase of personal/ audience favorite sites, notable GeoCities users, and much more ~ on feb 16th at 2pm est"

Olia Lialina is one of the original net artists and a great inspiration to may people interested in the web revival - I highly recommend you drop into this talk! :ozwomp:

You can register to see it with this google forum!

You can see a recording here:

* c8814cc0c71f6756.jpg (441.95 kB, 1000x1000 - viewed 41 times.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023 @898.62 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023 @802.66 »

ooh, ty for sharing! I signed up.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023 @804.13 »

I hope a few people will watch it and we can have a discussion here after! Also I love that their promo flyer is basically the MelonLand entrance page  :chef:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023 @823.23 »

I hope a few people will watch it and we can have a discussion here after! Also I love that their promo flyer is basically the MelonLand entrance page  :chef:
I just signed up for it as well, I'm hoping I can catch it and then I'd totally be down to chat about it under this forum  

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023 @637.36 »

Sounds really neat, thanks for linking to it! I've signed up for it also. I'm kind of familiar with the Tumblr, but haven't dug through it that much, so it'll be fun to see them talk about their favorites.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023 @897.41 »

Ok so a few quick notes on the talk while they are fresh in my mind:

They were not into nostalgia at all, they didn't like the idea of geocities as an aesthetic, and they put a big emphasis on understanding the context of why things on geocities were the way they were. "Why was a gif used in the 90s and how was it different from gifs today".

This is a nice reminder for me, the web revival is not about nostalgia, its about creating something relevant to today - the reason many sites here look nostalgic is because casual html creates a particular kind of design, and becouse explorting the past is actually a current issue - we should not call basic html sites geocities-style sites, they are just basic html sites, fresh and current for any era as long as we use html!

They felt the context of a website was very important - e.g. an old website displayed on an old computer. They struggled with people not being able to accept the cultural contexts that have changed (e.g. some sites had material that was fine in the 90s but not acceptable today), and they tried to find a balance - they did not seem afraid of censoring or curating material for a modern audience.

They were also big supporters of ftp and the ability to freely access and control the physical files of your site - I actually thought while watching that it might be fun to make a MelonLand ftp server that's also a public site, e.g. a site that everyone can edit - that would be anarchy but very fun!

The talk seems to be available as a recording here!  :ha:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023 @636.52 »

I missed the first part of the talk, so I'm glad they've put up a recording somewhere. It was interesting seeing the different perspective they have on the web revival stuff. They touched on a bit of that when someone asked what they thought about Neocities, and I couldn't quite grasp what they said...I think it was that they disliked how platform specific it is? It looked like they were advocating for more of a platform agnostic focus, which makes total sense, given what they're doing. The entirety of their project is as difficult as it is because it was hosted by one provider that went down at took everything with it.

One thing I thought was interesting was when they were discussing how the easiest way for them to share these sites is via screenshots, but that they definitely do have the full sites archived somewhere. I know there are a few projects around dedicated to archiving them, but I wonder if they'd be willing to share their collection, just to add one more into the mix?

cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023 @894.83 »

for some reason i thought this was today!! gah. thanks for sharing the link, i'll have to give it a listen ^_^ i <3 olia's work.

One thing I thought was interesting was when they were discussing how the easiest way for them to share these sites is via screenshots, but that they definitely do have the full sites archived somewhere. I know there are a few projects around dedicated to archiving them, but I wonder if they'd be willing to share their collection, just to add one more into the mix?

Sorry if it was already mentioned, but I remember reading on their blog that they torrented the archive from the archive team, and I found a link here: https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/GeoCities_Torrent_Patch maybe this is helpful?  :smile:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023 @951.52 »

when someone asked what they thought about Neocities
That was me! (They answer at 1:14:50) In retrospect I feel like their answer was a bit dismissive of Neocities (They seemed to have an issue with IPFS.. Iv never figured out what that is..) - it gave me the impression that they don't interact with the web revival side of retro web stuff; so they were looking at it more as an aesthetic replication, than a desire to reclaim a spirit of web ownership.

That's maybe a little disappointing because I  really believe the aesthetics are a means to reclaim identity; although I totally agree some people never get past the nostalgia aspect. They also pitch shifted into disliking the web3 very fast, which again makes me think that they haven't had a lot of good experiences with the modern net :sad:

I'm not upset about any of that though; its fascinating to see such a deep perspective on the old web that's not coming from the typical web revival community point of view. We need that contrast, and its a really good chance to sanity check what we are doing and saying about the old web and what we want the web revival to be!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Let's talk about FORUMS!

Started by wrinkledlionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 34
Views: 3246
Last post November 11, 2023 @821.39
by creaturefeature
Let's talk dream homes

Started by Corrupted UnicornBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 13
Views: 859
Last post March 21, 2023 @111.23
by Blondini
Talking to people in real life??

Started by DoctorDizzyBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 13
Views: 807
Last post July 19, 2023 @1.88
by glitterpigeon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi