Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @569.20 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Beat Culture of the 60s

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Beat Culture of the 60s  (Read 490 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: March 13, 2023 @658.73 »

Not really sure if we have a category this suits; but I found this clip today.. it's a bit of a weird one because it's actually made for the Salvation Army, but it shows a very real view of teen beat culture which is fascinating!

Also for those of you who don't know; Beat culture is/was one of the counter-culture movements that emerged in the 50s-60s - it was mainly centred in New York downtown coffee houses (they were sketchy places back then) and gets its name from Beat poetry; it was also the root of the modern folk revival (also if you're wearing denim jeans, you can thank beat culture fashion for popularising that!)

If you feel like watching a not-so-great but interesting movie -  The Greenwich Village Story captures a lot of it and is free on YouTube!

There's also the more recent Choen Brothers movie - Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) which is a semi-fictionalised story about a singer in this era.

Beyond that; I dunno why I find this era and culture so consistently fascinating; somehow I always seem to be able to find something meaningful in it - not sure if anyone else on here shares that, but Id love to know  :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023 @721.48 »

Not exactly beat culture, but some great footage of hippie culture that's very closely related  :ha:

Im not sure what to say about hippies.. did they fail? Did they just not succeed enough? What can we (as people running our own little counterculture) learn from them? These are all things I think about!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023 @561.28 »

Not exactly beat culture, but some great footage of hippie culture that's very closely related  :ha:

Im not sure what to say about hippies.. did they fail? Did they just not succeed enough? What can we (as people running our own little counterculture) learn from them? These are all things I think about!

i know very little about beat culture outside of that cool poetry girl from An Extremely Goofy Movie :ok: but in the case of hippies i think it was a generally well-intentioned subculture that got too big for its own good, so whatever larger goals they may have had simply became diluted to the point of ineffectiveness. whatever message the movement stood for was dead as soon as it was turned into a corporate aesthetic! i'm not sure if people here have heard of CARI (the Consumer Aesthetics Research Institute) but on their website they have a great gallery of what they've dubbed the "Corporate Hippie" style of design. it's a great example of capitalism taking something considered "dangerous", at the time, and sucking the soul out of it until it's safe enough to sell cosmetics and blue jeans.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023 @182.55 »

I learned about Beat literature and poetry from its creation and its early years during my American literature 2 class. I've always enjoyed more underground and or obscure works of literature (novels, poems, (web)comics, fan fiction, etc) since they have more passion and personality put into them, not to mention they tend to offer interesting views that might not be talked about in the mainstream. I just wish that I had more time to find and read them.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4959
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
Almost on my way to beating Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

Started by easy_breezyBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 1054
Last post February 24, 2022 @94.83
by OkayRelax
MelonLand Vivaldi Theme ♡

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 6
Views: 1618
Last post March 05, 2023 @376.64
by doubleincision

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi