Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @103.63 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 51/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  The "Key" to Social Media

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The "Key" to Social Media  (Read 247 times)
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: February 29, 2024 @690.78 »

Hey there! I've been wrestling with what I've dubbed "the social media dilemma." This isn't about debating the inherent good or bad of social media, its potential for distraction, or its health implications—though those are valid conversations, and I have my own views. My angle is a bit different.

I experience social media as both a source of inspiration and connection, and, at times, a trigger for feeling extremely low. For example, scrolling through Instagram, I might enjoy discovering new tattoo artists, bands, or simply cool people, which feels awesome. Yet, there are moments when these same feeds make me feel inadequate, as if my life doesn't stack up to the curated coolness online, pulling me away from the real world.

Social media has its upsides, like finding a community that makes you think, "Wow, there are others out there like me" or "People share my interests," which is fantastic for feeling connected. But it also has a way of detracting from making those connections in the real world. It's a useful tool for staying informed and in sync with your social circle.

One of my solutions is using an RSS reader to keep up with favorite accounts. However, my feelings about social media fluctuate between it being the best and the worst, though it likely falls somewhere in between, with moderation as the ideal approach.

I've tried various strategies to find balance: quitting entirely, curating my feed to include only friends, avoiding influencers or brands, and even switching to a flip phone for about six months. While some of these strategies worked initially, the challenge of maintaining balance remains.

I believe the key may lie in replacing the voids social media fills with alternatives that lack its downsides. For instance, forming a local group instead of seeking similar people online, choosing the library or classes over online learning, and opting for in-person catch-ups with friends. It's a critical step many overlook before reducing their social media use, potentially leading to a gap similar to what's observed in addiction. However, likening social media use to addiction might be extreme. Perhaps it's more akin to medication—with its benefits and side effects—where finding the right dose is crucial. Maybe 10 minutes is my sweet spot; anything more tends to dampen my mood. While I don't have a definitive answer, starting here seems like a good place!
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024 @956.11 »

Well my advice that I have is, does it actually matter? As in, if you feel sad because you are "inadequate", does that inadequacy actually matter? These people online have totally different lives of their own, and they have probably never heard of me, you, or Melon once in their entire lives. They may just be doing what they love and enjoy, and this comes in many different forms, shapes, and sizes. For me, it's like "I dont need to be as cool as this guy because hes just one guy online living his own life, and I'm already busy being myself." cuz its not like i need to be better all the time.
I've also just seen enough of internet jealousy to just kinda avoid it, since ive seen issues pop up around that often.

e-
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024 @99.21 »

It's NOT extreme to liken social media to addiction. Addictions develop out a need to self medicate psychic disturbances. One person can have a perfectly healthy relationship to food and another can be horribly addicted because it's the only way they can cope with whatever they're dealing with. Social media is like methadone for loneliness and depression, anytime you feel the pain you can take a hit. The amount of harm that can do to you entirely depends on how psychologically stable you are.

Personally I quit social media for good because I knew I could never have a healthy relationship with it. But that has nothing to do with weather it's objectively good or bad for anyone else. Again like food, alcohol,  etc.
My life hasn't been a paradise after quiting, but I am facing down the personal stuff that I was only capable of running from before.
So yeah I think you are on to something. What's most important is to know yourself, and to know what social media is giving you/taking from you. It can be wildly different for everyone.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024 @439.66 »

The "real thing" will always be better, at least in my opinon. Isn't it like this? No online game of Yu-Gi-Oh could come close to the nice experince of sitting à deux at a table.

So computers in general are powerful tools for networking. But they don't really replace real connections. "Methadone", well said e-.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4971
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
What is your favourite piece of lost media/One you want found the most?

Started by Kitchen StaffBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 42
Views: 3556
Last post April 11, 2024 @781.89
by WynnDawnstrider
MelonLand Vivaldi Theme ♡

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 6
Views: 1625
Last post March 05, 2023 @376.64
by doubleincision

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi