Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @666.18 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Password Managers? 🗝️

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Do you use a password manager?
Yes! I use a 3rd party one like Bitwarden, or 1Pass   -16 (40%)
Yes! I self host a password manager like Keepass   -6 (15%)
Sorta! I use a built in password saver in Chrome or Firefox   -6 (15%)
Nope! But I have a complicated way of remembering passwords or I write them down.   -11 (27.5%)
Nope! I use the same password for everything :3   -1 (2.5%)
Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Password Managers? 🗝️  (Read 1148 times)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023 @605.86 »

'abcdefghijklm' isn't secure, no matter how much you protest!  :ok:

Hah! You have no power over me! It's actually abcdefghijklm123!
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023 @611.77 »

I went with option 2, because I feel like it's the best of all worlds--I can store passwords and other data in a secure database (and that's really the thing I love about it. It doesn't just store passwords, but security questions, the email tied to the account, basically anything else I need to know about that account), but don't really have to worry about it being compromised as a service because it's as secure as the cloud storage I'm using (and no worries about a VPS config or anything, unless I decide to do that later, because I do have that option).

Which, I know those can get compromised, but even if it were, they'd still need to break the encryption on the file itself, which adds another layer. And since most thieves are looking for the path of least resistance, there's a larger than zero chance they'd just pass it over for something easier.

Every method has its flaws, but this one's worked pretty well for me.

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023 @805.81 »

I use the same tools as Melon, 1password and Authy.

I have considered self-hosting bitwarden, but for something like passwords I don’t want to self-host as my home server sometimes goes up in flames.

I’m happy with the hosted tools, 1password with Fastmail is a great combo for keeping track of accounts and identities online.
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2024 @661.37 »

Hi! I've tried a few options but am still struggling to find something that works best for me. I originally used 1Password but I wasn't a fan of the interface so then I switched to DashLane which is so buggy it's practically unusable! I've considered an offline book but there's the worry that it might get ruined or I'll forget it when traveling. A self-hosted version is also a really solid option but I would probably need some support setting up. I think I'll spend sometime searching on GitHub as maybe someone's built something or can point me in the right direction!
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2024 @681.31 »

I've had LastPass, switched to Dashlane, and recently switched to Bitwarden. That one is the best so far in my experience and doesn't bother me with monetization stuff at all; DashLane was so awful for this recently with their 25 password restriction.
Browser addon works perfectly. Transition went smoothly.
The only issue is transferring passkeys.. but that should hopefully improve this year in general for all kinds of password managers, and usually sites that let you use passkeys also offer passwords or magic links, so you won't get locked out.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Paprika
Full Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2024 @602.57 »

I'm a dinosaur regarding the matter so... I wrote them down on paper, there's just one that's very important that I keep on a USB key in the middle of other text within a file, just in case.
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2024 @628.06 »

i think i do something a little stranger than what's suggested here!

i like painting & calligraphy, so i've personalized sherman's gallifreyan script, which i now use for day-to-day writing as well as having a framed painting containing my (main) passwords (amongst other things like bank pins), that i can look at whenever i need to login to a site. it's a shame i (obviously) can't share a picture!

i used to use Bitwarden but have since transitioned away because i don't like having all of my eggs in one basket, amongst other things!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024 @636.92 by j » Logged

i go by j, she/they :)
succubunnii
Newbie ⚓︎

StatusCafe: succubunnii

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2024 @570.01 »

i leave notes or clues for my passwords around the place, hidden in my organised (sometimes) chaos. some parts are on a hidden scrap of paper that might relate to something in a notebook or i just remember that my password for 'x' site is the title of 'y' book on the shelf across the room including 'z' number and may or may not have a symbol depending on if the website required it.

I'M NOT PROUD OF THIS!!
i'm thinking of collecting them and putting them in a lockbox. if i can't unlock it.... i have connections to unlock it  :ha:

i do try to go for 2FAuthentication when i can tho.

:unite: hell ye :unite:
fancypengy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

im like you without good moods

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2024 @840.84 »

I'm not married to it or anything but I use NordPass which was better than what I was using before (writing down passwords in my Apple Notes app mixed with using the built-in browser password keeper thing) and it hasn't become a necessity to use anything else. But I'm taking notes from the rest of y'all so thank u lol!! :eyes:

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024 @204.26 »

Currently use keepass and have my passwords and my 2fa locally stored in an external hard drive (with backups scattered around on other local sotrage, of course). makes syncing as simple as plug and play :ok:

I have no idea what I’m doing.
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024 @401.54 »

Used to do it all from my head until I got forced to regularly change my passwords and that became annoying to keep up. I use Bitwarden and it does exactly what I need it to do (and it's free!). The Android app works well, I can even unlock it with the fingerprint sensor. Only thing I discovered is that the app doesn't have any options for creating new maps, so file management is left for PC.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

Password Hiding?

Started by moonsetterindustriesBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 5
Views: 513
Last post February 07, 2024 @947.84
by moonsetterindustries

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi