Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @897.19 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 49/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  Thinking about doing server sided development, what tools should I use?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thinking about doing server sided development, what tools should I use?  (Read 706 times)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: March 26, 2023 @22.58 »

I've been thinking about trying server sided development for a while which is mainly related to the web but also other areas too like game development!

Some languages I've considered are: TypeScript (with Node.js or Bun), Rust (Rocket), and Ruby (on Rails).

Reasons why I considered them:

Rust: I don't really have the best hardware for hosting and thought about choosing a fast language to prevent having to pay for better hardware Rust fits that criteria while also providing other advantages like memory safety. I'm not sure if it's logical to have that mindset towards servers but better safe than sorry.

Ruby (On Rails): This is the "simplest" language for web development, since I don't have much experience with servers I thought it would be reasonable to learn it that way. This also happens to be the language Neocities was programmed in.

TypeScript: I feel that this a middle ground between the easy to use and performant languages, I don't really have much else to say about this language other than I heard that it's better than JavaScript and Node.js allows you to do it on the server but Bun is faster but experimental.

For others like PHP, I don't know what to say about them.

:ozwomp: my beloved

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023 @157.78 »

I use Node.js for most of my server stuff these days; I used to use Java Servlets but those were hell! I find Node.js very fun to work with, but only because I know JavaScript really well. The HUGE number of npm packages for Node.js are also really handy.

PHP was one of my first languages and I didn't touch it for many years before getting into working on this forum, it's not as bad as I remember but debugging is a pain because its harder to dig up the logs  :tongue:

I used to use TypeScript at my last job; it's just a wrapper language; e.g. so you write in TypeScript and then a program converts your typescript to JavaScript. It's handy if you have VERY large projects and a big team because it stops people messing up types on variables; but for individual projects, it's not really necessary unless you want the experience for your CV.

I've only done a tiny bit of Ruby, it's a nice language, so I'm not sure why it's fallen out of popularity.

I think they are all good choices for basic server-side features; it depends on which one you enjoy using the most!  :ha:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023 @752.35 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023 @751.22 »

Probably a very unpopular opinion for hobby dev but I use C#  :tongue:

You can use it for anything server side and games since its the language of Unity. To date I havent find something that compares to the ultimate dream experience that is using C# on Visual Studio but I know that my preference for the language is an acquired taste so no need to attack me for that  :dog:

.net (the framework of C#) now allows to compile C# to javascript or use them together which is a dream come true.

I have been working profissionaly with typescript for some years now but I dont like to use it for personal stuff, I really dislike the way the server code interacts with the frontend and how everything has to be an external library but on the other hand I find it very beginers friendly and cheap to get started, I consider it the modern equivalent of php for ease of access and use.

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023 @97.89 »

So use javascript instead of typescript? What are senarios where typescript is better or not?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023 @111.96 by Icelogist » Logged

lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023 @358.88 »

there is cgi, which appears to be the first server-side technology ever

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023 @969.94 »

Are you suuuuure you don't want to use PHP? :P
It's actually pretty great and very accessible. It just has a bad reputation, partly due to how prolific it once was.

Probably a very unpopular opinion for hobby dev but I use C#  :tongue:

I actually love C#, but I've never used it as a server langue. I just did a bit of app development years ago. I fully expected it to take over the world with how easy Microsoft made it to port apps to UWP, but it somehow never caught on.

there is cgi, which appears to be the first server-side technology ever

I only ever used cgi to install a news feed on my early sites. Way back before I could even comprehend Javascript. It was basically magic to me.
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023 @66.34 »

Are you suuuuure you don't want to use PHP? :P
It's actually pretty great and very accessible. It just has a bad reputation, partly due to how prolific it once was.

A while ago I saw a lot of negativity around the language so I didn't consider it when making this topic. Now seeing people say that it's better now while considering that there are a lot of pre-made tools (Wordpress, phpbb, etc) and there exist alot of cheap + cheap php hosters I might consider learning it as my first "server sided language". I'm still open to what you have to say about other languages (or just talk about PHP).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023 @160.30 by Icelogist » Logged

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023 @104.77 »

huh, what am I reading...

did you tried XAMPP? https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html it has linux versions on there
in case you don't want to use that and you're using a debian-based distro just do a sudo apt-get install php7.4 php7.4-fpm nginx (if php7.4 isn't listed in your distro then use sudo apt search php7) and then go to the nginx configuration (/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default) and add this code for enable php on your webserver

Code
       location ~ \.php$ {
                include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
                fastcgi_pass unix:/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock;
                default_type  application/octet-stream;
        }
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023 @115.20 by GeckoF » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ozwomps Voyage - Playable edition development journal!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 21
Views: 5193
Last post February 27, 2022 @128.44
by ellievoyyd
weird minecraft servers

Started by pancitoBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1088
Last post July 28, 2022 @230.89
by Guest
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3208
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi