Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @225.34 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  Fax ring?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fax ring?  (Read 922 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: March 29, 2023 @8.22 »

I just came up with an idea for a way people can communicate in a way that's certifiably retro and maybe fun!

I want to use a typewriter I inherited from my dad to write messages to people, but don't have anyone to send them too. Plus I think snail mail is too slow. Scanning it and emailing the scan feels like cheating and it's not as convenient or fun as just typing an email.

So I thought, faxing is a good middle ground! Wouldn't it be great to hear a fax machine go off, and you see a handwritten (or typewriter-written) message, then being able to respond and send it almost immediately. It's almost like a fusion of physical and electronic mail.

You can supposedly fax through VOIP and maybe even through the internet, which I'm going to look into.

So I figured if this is the sort of thing people might be interested in taking part in?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023 @82.27 »

So I found this article: https://itstillworks.com/how-do-i-send-a-fax-from-australia-to-america-10431.html

It talks about IP fax machines, which are basically more modern machines that support faxes over the web, but they also say this:
Analog fax machines can send Internet faxes with the appropriate T38 capable VoIP gateway attached, which allows them to connect to the Internet through the same protocol that VoIP phones do.

That lead me to find this device: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/ata-190-series-analog-telephone-adapters/index.html (I found it for 100 pounds on Amazon)

However I also found this much cheaper one (38 pounds) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dpofirs-Gateway-Network-Internet-Voice-over-IP-silver/dp/B09JBN2P1V - it says it supports fax!

So I THINK if you want to put an old fax machine online, you can do it for 38 pounds, which seems quite reasonable.

Next we just need to figure out if there's an easy and cheap way for people to do it if they don't have an old fax machine (and don't wanna buy one)

It seems like a lot of modern printers do support fax, this is a modern one that says it does: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-MG2555S-600DPI-printing-copying/dp/B01ICH52H8
I don't know how that works though, so I think we need to find someone who has a printer with fax functions and figure it out and see how we can connect it all up! (Over something like Skype I guess?)

It's not very well documented, but it seems totally doable, apparently, a lot of government offices still use fax so the support is there for them!

EDIT: According to this video it was not possible on Skype 14 years ago because compression on Skype was too extreme, but that might not be the case now.. As far as I can see you do need to have a virtual phone number though (those are never free) but you can get them from services like: https://www.pamfax.biz/introduction/fax-number/ and they don't seem expensive (I think Skype also offer them? at least they used too)

Im still a bit confused about how it all connects, id have to see it function to understand  :ozwomp:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023 @127.49 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023 @129.35 »

As far as I can see you do need to have a virtual phone number though (those are never free) but you can get them from services like: https://www.pamfax.biz/introduction/ and they don't seem expensive (I think Skype also offer them? at least they used too)

Well, I don’t have an issue with paying for a cheap service to do so, but I’d need to know that I’m actually going to use it, you know? If I buy a subscription and nobody else is interested in doing this kind of thing with me, then it’d be a waste of money.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023 @131.15 »

I was thinking about the number cost - you only really need a number if you plan to interact with the existing phone network (e.g. fax real fax machines out in the world).. but since we would only be faxing people in the club.. surely that's not actually necessary? I don't know much about VOIP systems, but it seems like it would be possible to host our own VOIP server and issue our own fax numbers to members - if we could do that it would be totally free!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023 @146.05 »

I was thinking about the number cost - you only really need a number if you plan to interact with the existing phone network (e.g. fax real fax machines out in the world).. but since we would only be faxing people in the club.. surely that's not actually necessary? I don't know much about VOIP systems, but it seems like it would be possible to host our own VOIP server and issue our own fax numbers to members - if we could do that it would be totally free!

Hey, any update to this?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023 @995.65 »

I haven't had time to look into it more :ziped: I did search a bit, and there is self-host VoIP software for Linux, but I think someone with a bit more free time and a love of Linux hosting might need to mess around with that and report back!

Badgermein
Casual Poster ⚓︎

:-)

iMood: Badgermein

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023 @394.32 »

Wow, I really like this idea! It's very original, I can't remember the last time I ever received a fax, if at all! I just get a fax machine/printer combo anyways. Let me know if you guys still have interest in this, I'm sure we can get more people together. I can picture my excitement so vividly when I hear the machine begin to print.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023 @999.87 »

Apparently, Amish communities use services that convert emails into fax, which while kinda silly is also kinda cool; its basically physical email over fax  :tongue:  https://ibyfax.com/

They also do internet by fax:
IbyFax’s Internet by fax service allows people that do not have internet the ability to have research done for them on the internet. You write what you are looking for on a piece of paper and fax it to us. Or expert web researchers will review your request, and fax whatever they find back to you.

Here is a list of common requests that we handle.

– Find items on eBay. Machinery Trader, etc.
– Get tax forms faxed to you.
– Read online forums.
– We can find any information for you on the internet that you can imagine.

I wonder if there any Amish web revivalists! Could you hand write your HTML and fax it to neocities??
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023 @1.52 by Melooon » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a webring: Retroweb Ring

Started by BradEBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 1582
Last post June 27, 2022 @743.02
by BradE
Weird mappy webring-but-actually-its-a-map-ring??

Started by ggnoniconBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 1063
Last post August 03, 2022 @546.38
by dantescanline
Physical Mail Penpalling Ring

Started by MemoryBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 3
Views: 831
Last post February 10, 2023 @107.43
by Cobra!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi