Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @209.80 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  picking up an old project: a strange form of artblock

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: picking up an old project: a strange form of artblock  (Read 267 times)
xixxii
Jr. Member ⚓︎

they/them

View Profile WWW

the xixxiiJoined 2024!
« on: May 14, 2024 @147.78 »

when i put down a project for a long time, picking it up again becomes really hard! i get this weird feeling of DREAD about it that's hard to shake off and stops me from working on it! i get preemptively stuck/blocked before i've even tried. even if i want to work on it and feel motivated and have ideas!   :notgood:  :tnt:
i have a lot of things i'd like to do - writing and crafts and other projects - that i keep avoiding due to this weird block. i guess i'm worried that i'll ruin it somehow, or it won't be fun any more, or i'll be worse than i was before...

if you ever get this feeling, or any other odd specific types of artblock, what do you do to get over it? i would love to get some tips! :defrag:

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024 @462.05 »

Because fiction writing is not something I do for work, I give myself the freedom to work just when I feel inspired to do so. This is probably not the best advice for productivity, but I chose to not pressure myself to make something I'll only be partially satisfied with.

In general, you probably need to take a lot of time to completely get into the project again. Read or look it through, remember your original intentions, and only get to work when you feel some flow or ideas returning. But you need to let yourself take the time to ease into the project again.
rhenn
Casual Poster ⚓︎

StatusCafe: rhenn

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024 @478.36 »

I definitely get this!

With personal projects, sometimes restarting (assuming it's not too big) has helped me, provided the project isn't too big. Otherwise, I just move on to the next one; sometimes I come back to stuff but I try not to stress if I don't. It's all good practice at all, and unfinished work is still more than no work!

I also try to have multiple things on the go at once, though that's more with uni than art/hobbies. That way, if I feel myself getting sick of something I can work on other stuff until I'm ready to face it again.

In terms of a feeling of dread... it's probably not the same but I had a period of about 2 years where I straight up couldn't draw. I'd sit down at my tablet or with a sketchbook and just... nothing. Even if I'd been thinking about drawing something all day, as soon as I tried something in my brain just said "no!!"
...I think that was burnout? Lol

I think maybe seeing if you can prevent it by figuring out the source of the dread might help you? Like if you're worrying about not creating something the "wrong" way, or if you're working on a big project and that's looming over you. It's something I struggled with, and getting out of that headspace really helped me, though it takes a lot of work. I think just focus on making the stuff that makes you happy, and don't feel afraid to take a break from it if you need to.

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024 @877.55 »

But ideas have to ripe to get them more polished. The details of worlds... the plots. I'm 99% sure, that all holes can be patched later. Isn't it hard to get it all complete and right at the very first try?

In the case of programming code, well you certainly have it easier if your documentation was good. Comments between the programming lines help a lot to get back after years of absence.

I'd rather see the chances of having a second look on a project after a long time. Though the conclusion could also be to abandon the project, as time moved on, to not get clogged up. As time is limited, choice is unavoidable.
moonunions
Casual Poster ⚓︎

ヽ(・∀・)ノ yippiiiieeee

View Profile WWW

Still knowing about Clippy in 2024Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024 @884.31 »

yeesh i definitely understand and suffer from the same type of dread  :tnt:

usually forcing myself to step back from a project for a while helps me miss it enough to start it up again. i also agree that figuring out the reason you're feeling dread is a good step in the right direction. maybe write out your thoughts/feelings in a doc to see if anything stands out?

tungl" border="0

please feed beefsteak, he hungers ➭ feed beefsteak!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ozwomp's Voyage in Cyberspace - Video Project

Started by MelooonBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 2131
Last post December 06, 2021 @791.33
by Melooon
My new side project: status.cafe

Started by m15oBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 27
Views: 5896
Last post May 05, 2024 @882.11
by Paprika
What does a successful project mean to you?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 2815
Last post December 13, 2021 @810.09
by Cobra!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi