Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @362.00 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 79/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: Getting started self-hosting

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: Getting started self-hosting  (Read 635 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: April 13, 2023 @119.87 »

I’m thinking about trying to to self-host stuff, like an OwnCast instance, or somewhere to host videos and various downloads for my games, but I don’t know how or where to start.

I figured I’d ask here before looking it up because if I did, I would most likely find blog posts asking you to use not-privacy-friendly, overpriced stuff, and I’m sure people here know of good FLOSS tools to get the job done.

I’m saving up for various thing I have planned, so price takes priority. I guess I’d prefer a VPS if possible because I’m paranoid about leaving something on 24/7, and that energy prices in Scotland have absolutely soared lately, but I heard you can get devices that run on almost zero power, which would at least solve problems number 2.

I know I’m being really vague here, but I guess I’m basically asking about what software and hardware I’d generally need for such a thing?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Nullcasting
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Great2BeHeretm

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023 @129.09 »

hello i ran into this exact confusion with Owncast. It was really frustrating trying to learn this stuff for the first time, hopefully i can help a little!!

My setup is a laptop i commandeered from my mom, running Debian 11. On the laptop, I have Caddy, Owncast, and Obs Studio installed [all are free]. You'll want to get all of those on there. (use flatpaks when available, installing from the command line SUCKS sorry linux fans)

you'll need is to open up the right ports on your router (this allows other computers to retrieve and send data through the router). By default, owncast wants to use 8080, but as far as i'm aware, you can set this to like 42069 or whatever the hell, so long as the number is the same in your router and in owncast.

at this point, run owncast. it'll pop up a bunch of text like 'beep boop i'm listening on port 8080 yadda yadda'. if you go to localhost:8080, it'll be a blank page saying 'welcome to owncast', and localhost:8080/admin will let you change all your settings.

if you want to access this thing from a location that isn't localhost:8080, you'll need to set up DNS, which basically is just giving your computer an extra name since your ISP will probably not let you set a static IP address. https://www.duckdns.org/ is the DNS service i use, it works just fine and is free :). You'll then go into owncast's admin tab and change it out there. caddy is what makes it go from http://myurl.duckdns.org:8080 to https://myurl.duckdns.org, and you do this by setting up a reverse proxy (owncast has documentation for how to do this, it would be nice of them if they added in documentation for the rest of it!! >:{)

I then just embed the video and chat widgets from myurl.duckdns.org onto my actual website. this solution is also nice because i can just send the embed video link to coworkers so they can look at the funny shrimp without risking them seeing any... unsavory messages in the chat  :ok:

i hope any of this helps  :ozwomp:

:pc: Null Casting, She/They :pc:
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023 @150.84 »

hello i ran into this exact confusion with Owncast. It was really frustrating trying to learn this stuff for the first time, hopefully i can help a little!!

My setup is a laptop i commandeered from my mom, running Debian 11. On the laptop, I have Caddy, Owncast, and Obs Studio installed [all are free]. You'll want to get all of those on there. (use flatpaks when available, installing from the command line SUCKS sorry linux fans)

you'll need is to open up the right ports on your router (this allows other computers to retrieve and send data through the router). By default, owncast wants to use 8080, but as far as i'm aware, you can set this to like 42069 or whatever the hell, so long as the number is the same in your router and in owncast.

at this point, run owncast. it'll pop up a bunch of text like 'beep boop i'm listening on port 8080 yadda yadda'. if you go to localhost:8080, it'll be a blank page saying 'welcome to owncast', and localhost:8080/admin will let you change all your settings.

if you want to access this thing from a location that isn't localhost:8080, you'll need to set up DNS, which basically is just giving your computer an extra name since your ISP will probably not let you set a static IP address. https://www.duckdns.org/ is the DNS service i use, it works just fine and is free :). You'll then go into owncast's admin tab and change it out there. caddy is what makes it go from http://myurl.duckdns.org:8080 to https://myurl.duckdns.org, and you do this by setting up a reverse proxy (owncast has documentation for how to do this, it would be nice of them if they added in documentation for the rest of it!! >:{)

I then just embed the video and chat widgets from myurl.duckdns.org onto my actual website. this solution is also nice because i can just send the embed video link to coworkers so they can look at the funny shrimp without risking them seeing any... unsavory messages in the chat  :ok:

i hope any of this helps  :ozwomp:

Yeah, that’s really useful, thank you! I have Ubuntu as a daily driver, so this sounds surprisingly straightforward. I wonder if VPSes work in a similar fashion.

You run an Owncast instance? Do you stream to it? Would be cool to watch more streams without Twitch.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023 @152.28 by Cobra! » Logged

Nullcasting
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Great2BeHeretm

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023 @151.84 »

Yeah, that’s really useful, thank you!

You run an Owncast instance? Do you stream to it? Would be cool to watch more streams without Twitch.
I do! i use it to broadcast my Shrimp Stream over at https://warpzone.site/aquarium .

C2 has an endgoal of setting up a self-hosted streaming thing, but for now twitch is okay with me - i'm really pissed over the amount of pre-roll ads they use though. if they just set them up as banner ads it would be a much better website

:pc: Null Casting, She/They :pc:
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023 @160.30 »

C2 has an endgoal of setting up a self-hosted streaming thing, but for now twitch is okay with me - i'm really pissed over the amount of pre-roll ads they use though. if they just set them up as banner ads it would be a much better website

Yeah, not to mention it’s own by Jeffery Bezos, and that is a man I don’t trust.

For what it’s worth, I’d be one of the first to switch over to Owncast if you guys started streaming there.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023 @563.33 by Cobra! » Logged

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023 @782.28 »

Necroposting this because I'm looking to get a device to host stuff, preferably using as little wattage as possible. (for environmental and cost purposes)

What device would you guys reccomend? Where can I read on how to host websites, gemini capsules, etc. on it?

All of the "guides" I can fine online are either for temporarily hosting using XMPP or using an existing web host (I dunno why search engines bring those up when I look up self hosting, but I digress.), and it's driving me up the wall! Search Engines are so useless these days...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1035
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
Are there any good resources on how to get started on C++?

Started by easy_breezyBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1148
Last post February 19, 2022 @957.49
by Melooon
I started a webring: Retroweb Ring

Started by BradEBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 1348
Last post June 27, 2022 @743.02
by BradE

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi