Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @359.04 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 20/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: Tips on how to optimize images

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: Tips on how to optimize images  (Read 555 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: April 22, 2023 @813.99 »

Hi, I would love to know your way to optimize images for your websites and/or forums so they are a small file size and load quickly while it is barely noticeable that it was compressed/optimized and still showing the contents of the image well.

Any specific processes, steps, software you like to use? How much do you scale down your images? I have to say, natively my phone takes very large images. I usually scale them down to 800 x something. Most of my stuff is .png as well so it tends to be larger.

I know @Melooon uses ImageOptim, but it seems to only be for Mac and the Win alternatives they link don't really blow me away.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023 @840.36 »

My go-to thingy to optimize images is Squoosh! You can see the percentage it reduces file size too and you can compare before and after, in case you're picky about quality

Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023 @849.40 »

The photos I takes are carzy large and I always scale them down with paint.net. I prefer that over using an online service.

1. I open image with paint.net
2. I resize. Often I keep them 800px maximum. Often smaller
3. I export as jpeg and set the quality to around 60- 80%
Sometimes I also export as 8bit, 24bit etc etc instead of "auto" when exporting PNG. that reduces the size most.

for anything else (like my art files or decor graphics) I simply resize them with my drawing app. Scale down the pixels but so that it still looks good. Nothing fancy.

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023 @897.62 »

Im not sure if it's any good, but I literally just saw an ad for this site on PicMix  :ok: It seems to be able to compress GIFs too (most compressors can't do GIFs and I think that's a really important feature for the kinds of sites we do) - https://www.imgtools.co/compress-image

Also as Sky said; exporting from your image editor is also a great way to go; particularly if you're making custom images or graphics for your site. Some programs offer "web export" presets. Those are good options - for JPEGs and PNGs you wanna make sure you are exporting them in "progressive" mode (that makes them load more smoothly online) -. You also wanna remove any metadata that might have personal info like GPS data if it's a phone picture!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023 @913.94 »

Sometimes I tend to use ffmpeg with JPEG for compress images, for me it does a good job.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023 @837.87 »

You need a good image program first. Proper programs instead of online services, where 90% are ad-infested trash. I use PhotoImpact as image editor and on new machines, the free GraphicsGale. On Linux, GIMP, Kolourpaint and mtPaint, where every program is more capable than another in certain areas. Just test various programs, but don't stay with MS Paint, that restricts you too much.

For scaling down images, that program has to be the choice between smoothing edges (better for photos) and keeping edges sharp (for pixel graphics).

Then the program has to have the option to reduce the colour palette to 256 and less colours. That way, you'll save a lot of KB too. I was doing some tests with various image formats here:
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=590.msg4127#msg4127

JPG images don't profit from a low-colour palette however. But you can save a lot of the file size on JPGs through reducting the "Quality" from 100 to 90 for example. But the image might look bad afterwards (JPG artifacts), so it depends.
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023 @906.83 »

Thank you all, this has helped lots with my Bluebrixx building journal on my website right now. Was able to upload smaller pictures now that look great but will hopefully load fast for most people. :4u:

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi